University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Jun 22, 2017

2.4

130 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2017.

Interview

In-person, group interview. I was provided with a couple of technical questions that lacked context. The team seemed incredibly paranoid about discussing their environment. I don't know anyone that would take a job without knowing what the environment is like beforehand. Eventually I was able to figure out the job was just looking at logs all day, rather than developing and testing security solutions as claimed by the job description.

Almost all of their questions were stereotypical of an interview: "How do you work with others?", "How do you deal with conflict?", "Give me an example of a time when you X or Y." It reminded me of the interviews I would have back in high-school when working as a cashier, retail associate, etc.

Interview Questions

• <given a sheet of paper with some context-less data>
       "Tell me from a security perspective what is wrong with this?"   1 Answer

OpenVMS Systems Admn Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The interview I had was an ambush. A room full of interviewers and me. I would have handled the interview better from my perspective by informing my host that it would not be my way of inviting a guest into my "home".

Interview Questions

• It was the questions that did NOT pertain to the job discription that were "out of taste".   1 Answer

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

It was very hectic and was late to start. I felt like I did less talking than the interviewer and as it was only scheduled for a half hour, I left feeling like I knew very little about the position. I was disappointed that the hiring person never followed up as to the job progress even after I emailed more than once. I'm not even sure the position was ever filled.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was conducted by a person with terrible accent. Could not understand the questions he asked. I had to ask him to repeat the questions 4 times, then I just started guessing. Requested another phone interview. The group panel was OK. The questions asked could be found online.

Assistant Professor of History Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a campus interview that was preceded by an interview via Skype. In both I had to account for my current and future research interests, broader trends in the field in which I was situated, as well as classes I would teach at the undergraduate and graduate level.

Interview Questions

• What kind of classes could you envision teaching in the History department?   Answer Question

Assistant Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2016.

Interview

Very casual. I was brought to the office of my soon to be manager where her and another of my bosses asked me questions. I then was given a workplace tour and got to talk to different employees. They then brought me back to the office and basically said they would hire me and told me what paperwork I needed to fill out.

Interview Questions

• What else are you involved in on campus?   1 Answer

Academic Technology Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The HR recruiter arranged a panel interview with about 8 people who worked in the technology department. The recruiter was personable and helpful, but the team manger was a condescending a-hole during the interview who cut me off mid-sentence repeatedly to challenge my credentials. It was so bad I withdrew my application after it was over. I had a much more welcoming interview with another department at the university.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a conflict you've had at work and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Student Athlete Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied, got an interview within a few days, if you can show you are responsible, respectful and knowledgeable of college level academic topics you should get a call back. Although when I applied they had specifically sent out emails saying they needed tutors.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to explain a fake homework question as if the interviewer was a student.   1 Answer

Accounting III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

A panel interview with four people. They all very nice and making the interview process goes very smooth. They explain about the role and expectation of this job. They also take me for a tour of the department. Everyone there seems very nice.

Interview Questions

• What you like and dislike about your current job?
      What is your long-term goal?
      Do you have experience in grant accounting experience; excel spreadsheet, other computer programs?
      Explain your biggest accomplishment?
      Explain a time when you handle stress?   Answer Question

Computer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

2 interviews, initial interview was pleasant and the interviewers were friendly and easy to get along with.
    2nd interview introduced the hiring manager. He was not as friendly - made me very uncomfortable, did not laugh or smile, and presented as very condescending and unpleasant.
    First interview were very general questions about your personality and work experience. Second interview, they had a computer that they wanted you to set up and trouble shoot. The issue ended up being that one of the sticks of RAM were bad, however the computer gave no beep codes when starting up that would indicate this.
    The computer was also a new design which I had not seen before - was very difficult to take apart and then put back together with everyone watching you. Definitely the worst interview experience of my life, and I left feeling badly and pretty humiliated - the hiring manager's attitude towards me did not help at all. After that, I would not have wanted to work there even if the job was offered to me.
    I was sent a letter via snail mail stating that they were not offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you experienced positive and negative customer service
      Situational questions ie. You have to deal with a crisis but are stopped by a coworker who needs help - what do you do?
      What experience do you have with Mac computers
      How would you stop a program from launching on start up?   Answer Question