University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Oct 18, 2016

2.9

Academic Technology Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The HR recruiter arranged a panel interview with about 8 people who worked in the technology department. The recruiter was personable and helpful, but the team manger was a condescending a-hole during the interview who cut me off mid-sentence repeatedly to challenge my credentials. It was so bad I withdrew my application after it was over. I had a much more welcoming interview with another department at the university.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a conflict you've had at work and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Accounting III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

A panel interview with four people. They all very nice and making the interview process goes very smooth. They explain about the role and expectation of this job. They also take me for a tour of the department. Everyone there seems very nice.

Interview Questions

• What you like and dislike about your current job?
      What is your long-term goal?
      Explain your biggest accomplishment?
      Explain a time when you handle stress?
      Answer Question

Computer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2016.

Interview

2 interviews, initial interview was pleasant and the interviewers were friendly and easy to get along with.
    2nd interview introduced the hiring manager. He was not as friendly - made me very uncomfortable, did not laugh or smile, and presented as very condescending and unpleasant.
    First interview were very general questions about your personality and work experience. Second interview, they had a computer that they wanted you to set up and trouble shoot. The issue ended up being that one of the sticks of RAM were bad, however the computer gave no beep codes when starting up that would indicate this.
    The computer was also a new design which I had not seen before - was very difficult to take apart and then put back together with everyone watching you. Definitely the worst interview experience of my life, and I left feeling badly and pretty humiliated - the hiring manager's attitude towards me did not help at all. After that, I would not have wanted to work there even if the job was offered to me.
    I was sent a letter via snail mail stating that they were not offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you experienced positive and negative customer service
      What experience do you have with Mac computers
      How would you stop a program from launching on start up?
      Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

After completing a questionnaire I was asked to come in for an interview. The first qualification should be your requested salary before they send you their questionnaire. This would be more practical and could potentially save the candidate and the interviewers time if salary didn't fit within the budget. I was interviewed by two managers and an office manager. The interview process was polite and their were no technical questions asked. They stressed diversity in the questionnaire as well as the interview.

Interview Questions

• Diversity is very important here at the U, how would you continue to foster diversity...   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

It took several weeks to hear regarding this position (as with many of the roles at the University of Minnesota). After hearing from the group, it took a couple of weeks to set up an interview for the position, but for this role there was only 1 interview - a group panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about how you approached a project and your results   1 Answer

Human Resource Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2015.

Interview

A pool of over 50 applicants. I was an internal candidate, considered valuable to my department. Almost 6 months after position was posted, got phone interview. Many, many weeks later, panel interview with 6 people with 3 missing so I'd have to interview with them separately. Next day job was re-posted (for better pool). Learned in passing that in less than 3 weeks, they hired someone.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2015.

Interview

It was a first interview with four people from several departments that interact with the position. They asked two questions each. They were good, thoughtful questions. They told me they would let me know either way about a second interview but they never did. I emailed a month later and was told the position had been filled.

Junior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied for the job online, was emailed a pre-interview questionnaire with technical questions about the job. Based on my answers, I was invited for an interview. Interview was a panel with 3 people who asked questions from a list and wrote my answers. The interview took about an hour. Following the interview, I received an email that said " Your interview went well and we are considering hiring you for one of our two position. We would now like to ask you for references.". My references let me know that they were indeed contacted and gave good reviews. 10 days after the reference request, I got an email from the director apologizing for the delay and telling me ("Dear Interviewee") that the department had received another grant and that dealing with it was causing some delay in hiring for this position, but soon they would be able to refocus on hiring and he would keep me posted. Never heard from these people again after that email. No rejection, no response either way. I felt like this was a huge waste of my time and I wish they didn't bother my references if they weren't serious about hiring me. I would be wary of ever interviewing with this organization again.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2015.

Interview

Unprofessional, Didn't seem to care. Went on for a while but was just them trying to fill up space in the interview. Just like I am for this review no one cares about.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the University of Minnesota.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

This was for the position to be the division administrator for Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. Applied online and got an interview. It was a panel interview with HR, current GI physician, two different administrators and the interview only lasted about an hour or so. I was told there are three rounds total. Second round is with more people and final round is with the department head. I didn't get invited to move forward. My experience is only with first round of interviews. The questions were all situation based. More on team building and very high emphasis on problem solving. All types of problems: people, technology, grant etc. be prepare to come in with examples of how you solve problems.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your grant experience   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you worked with a difficult boss   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to mediate with direct reports (i.e. they were not getting a long)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project that you owned and accomplished well   Answer Question
    • Tell me about how you implemented a system or process at a previous workplace.   Answer Question
Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
University of Minnesota Academic Technology Support Interview Minneapolis, MN Give an example of a conflict you've had at work and how you resolved it.
University of Minnesota Accounting III Interview Saint Paul, MN What you like and dislike about your current job? What is your long-term goal? Do you have experience in grant accounting experience; excel spreadsheet, other computer programs? Explain your biggest accomplishment? Explain a time when you handle stress?
University of Minnesota Computer Support Specialist Interview Minneapolis, MN Describe a time you experienced positive and negative customer service Situational questions ie. You have to deal with a crisis but are stopped by a coworker who needs help - what do you do? What experience do you have with Mac computers How would you stop a program from launching on start up?
University of Minnesota IT Interview Minneapolis, MN Diversity is very important here at the U, how would you continue to foster diversity...
University of Minnesota Business Analyst Interview Minneapolis, MN Tell us about how you approached a project and your results
University of Minnesota Communications Specialist Interview Minneapolis, MN How do you get along with editors?
University of Minnesota Junior Scientist Interview Minneapolis, MN Describe your previous experience using MRI machines.
University of Minnesota Software Developer Interview Minneapolis, MN Why do you want to work at the University of Minnesota.
University of Minnesota Administrator Interview Minneapolis, MN Tell me about your grant experience
University of Minnesota Administrator Interview Minneapolis, MN Tell me about a time when you worked with a difficult boss
University of Minnesota Administrator Interview Minneapolis, MN Tell me about a time when you had to mediate with direct reports (i.e. they were not getting a long)
University of Minnesota Administrator Interview Minneapolis, MN Tell me about a project that you owned and accomplished well
University of Minnesota Administrator Interview Minneapolis, MN Tell me about how you implemented a system or process at a previous workplace.