University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

University of Minnesota Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Aug 31, 2017

2.4

131 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quick and professional. I met the senior researcher, PI and human resources person for the onsite interview. The interview last about an hour. However, this depend on your lab, PI and department.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my background, research interest. It is mainly to see if you are a good fit for the position   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

Very long at least 3 months with 3 phases ( 1 survey, 2 face to face) and another face to face with the VP of IT. applied for the job then got a competency survey and after was called for 1 round of interview and 2nd round and then after meeting with the IT VP

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you have to convey technical information to a non-technical audience   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

After completing a questionnaire I was asked to come in for an interview. The first qualification should be your requested salary before they send you their questionnaire. This would be more practical and could potentially save the candidate and the interviewers time if salary didn't fit within the budget. I was interviewed by two managers and an office manager. The interview process was polite and their were no technical questions asked. They stressed diversity in the questionnaire as well as the interview.

Interview Questions

• Diversity is very important here at the U, how would you continue to foster diversity...   1 Answer

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a conversational interview and I felt really comfortable talking to a panel of 3 interviewers. It was an employee referral which made it easy for me to communicate with the hiring manager. After coming here, I realized the importance of having a network. I was in touch with the teaching faculty at the school and one of the faculty members connected me with the hiring manager. The job description might look naive but the work that you get to put behind is on par with a marketing manager.

Interview Questions

• Q: Walk us through your resume
      Q: How would you solve ambiguity at work   Answer Question

Student Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by Alumni Relations Director and Marketing Director, they are super fun, nice and casual about it. They know you are a student so they aren't too harsh on you but you should be prepared to answer questions relating to why the rec is important to you and what kind of message you want to get out on campus.

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

Extremely easy to set up and meet with the interviewer. Just had to apply online. No back channels or anything. Told me what was expected of me at the interview. Initial phone interview and then an in person interview. They ask about your personality and work style.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2016.

Interview

The person who called me for the interview did not state the job title. This was confusing for me because I had applied for several positions. When I called back to ask, she gave a job title for a position I had never applied to. It was difficult for me to prepare for the interview without seeing a job description.

Interview Questions

• How would your current experience help you succeed in this role?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

One hour departmental seminar, describing my current research and outlining my interest in the department (45 minutes talk plus 15 minutes for questions). The seminar was followed by the full day conversations with senior lab members and principal investigator, typically between 30-45 minutes per person. Contacted the PI a fortnight after the interview, and got the offer soon afterwards.

Senior Office and Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

The first step is a brief phone interview to confirm availability and interest in the position after a brief discussion of job duties and pay range. Next, a 1:1 interview with the hiring authority is completed where more information about the position is provided along with information about the culture and day-to-day business. Finalists are invited back for group interviews with 3-5 people from the unit. My group interview included key stakeholders who would interact frequently with the position. I found that only one of the four people in my interview was adequately prepared. The most senior member in the interview hadn't looked at my application materials and asked me irrelevant questions like why I had left my previous positions in less than one year. It was documented that all of my positions save one had been held for 2-3 years and only terminated because of relocation. The most recent position had been a temporary contract position that I held for the six months leading up to my application to the University.

Interview Questions

• Describe your process for dealing with a difficult client or dissatisfied customer.   1 Answer

Research Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2016.

Interview

I got a call to schedule an interview from the lab PI about two months after I applied for the job, and interviewed the next week. Then I was asked to supply my references and once those got to the PI he offered me the job the next day.

Interview Questions

• What did you do when you were in a situation where you hated the person you had to do work with?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable with mouse work? (meaning if I think it is morally okay)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had another job offer on the table which offered more so I told them about that and they were able to offer me a higher salary.