University of Newcastle (UK) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 8, 2017

2.6

Summer Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)).

Interview

There was no interview process. The selection was made by an independent committee which went through all the application sent in. The application had specific question that needed to answered

Interview Questions

• A summary of the project that is being undertaken.   1 Answer

NWE Database Developer ( Department of Philosophy) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Whole process took 4 weeks. A simple non-technical 30 min interview. Had to bring example of relevant work, and discuss my ideas regarding the current state of the project and areas of improvement (all in a non-technical context). Useful feedback provided after the interview.

Research Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK).

Interview

I applied online. The interview was led by 4 team members and a member of HR, and lasted around 30 minutes. I was asked about my experience at university and outside. The interview ended with a lab tour. I had to wait for the person who was supposed to give me a tour because he was no where to be found. I was supposed to find out the results of the interview after a few days but after more than a week of silence I had to contact the HR. to find out. Only then I was sent a generic message that I was unsuccessful.

Student Communications Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview began with a surprise task, to approach students in the students union and let them know about an event that the Career Service was promoting. One member of staff was watching my performance from afar. After, I had to make a mock lecture shout to two interviewers (they had informed me of the task beforehand). I was extremely nervous but it went okay. Later they asked me a few questions about myself and that was it.

Employment Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview consisted of a proof reading exercise followed by a prioritisation executrices which I was given half an hour to complete. I then had to justify my answers. Interviewers were really nice and approachable. I received a call the next day with the outcome and was given some very useful feedback.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the University and this department   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

It was around 30 minute interview with the 2 supervisors /principle investigator and a person from hr/admin. I was asked to talk a bit about my project I did at university and the experience I had in the lab. It ended with a lab tour from a member of the lab team.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)).

Interview

I wrote to PI expressing interest before applying. The whole process took about two weeks - I got an interview invitation a couple of days after the deadline, and heard back the day after the interview. Very efficient. It was a panel interview, there was my prospective line manager PI, another PI and an HR person. They were interested to find out how interested I was, and since this was an entry level position, they checked basic subject knowledge and previous academic performance rather than experience - a welcome change from other RA interviews I had which, very frustratingly, asked for relevant lab experience for an entry-level position!

Interview Questions

• Along the lines of -Describe your master's project and what you learnt from it?
      Why are you interested in this particular project?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK).

Interview

Submitted a completed application form on university vacancies website, met the PI before applying. Called for interview, was interviewed by ~6 people. Formal but friendly atmosphere, about 40mins long. You should prepare some questions to ask the panel. Talk through your previous research. Smart-casual dress, no full suits required for women. No competency-based questions (e.g. 'give us an example of a time you lead a team'), they just wanted to know what skills I had and my research ideas

Interview Questions

• Programming skills, why I wanted the job, my experience, publications   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

It was a Skype interview and the first time I had a job interview on Skype.
    Interview included a 10 minutes presentation followed by some questions from the interview panel. The interviewer were very friendly and polite and interview went smoothly. The questions were all relevant and nothing too complicated. They acknowledged that I addressed some of their questions in my presentation and moved on to the other areas. It was more like a 2 ways conversation and I felt very relax and confident throughout of the process.
    I got an e-mail about 90 minutes after interview with job offer. They did not force me to decide quickly and gave me a 3.5 days to think and decide to accept the offer.

Student Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Quite straight-forward. You receieve an email telling you whether your application was successful or not and you're called for interview which last for about 1 hour. You receive another email a week later telling you whether you've got the job or not.

Interview Questions

• I got mostly situational interview questions about the British Educational System and how I would handle typical teenage behaviour.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. Information on the role and the pay were clearly stated in the recruitment advert.