University of Newcastle (UK) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Newcastle (UK) Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Newcastle (UK)

2.6

Accounts Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online and received an email inviting me to the interview. I was greeted by someone, who took me to another floor and got my documents copied. Then I was taken to a room where you just have an informal chat with two staff members (who were not on the interview panel). I think it was just to make you feel comfortable and break the ice. However, in my opinion, this does not work for the candidates as you are still under pressure and even if you make a good impression, they are not the one who will decide if you have got the job. I was then taken to another room, where a panel of 3 finance members conducted the interview. It was all competency based questions and I was offered a job somewhere else a day before the interview so I was really confident (because even if the university did not offer me the job, I already had a Graduate job secured somewhere else). At the end of the interview, I asked some questions about future progression and study support (As I have a degree in Accounting and wanted to know if they support any professional qualification). I got the impression that they normally would not support a clerk to go for professional qualification, but they mentioned about future promotions within the team etc. I received a call after few days saying I did not get the job and I could ask for the feedback. As i was really confident that my interview went well and I had the relevant experience as well, I was a bit surprised on the response, so I emailed to ask for feedback (Just in case I did something wrong, that I need to be aware of for the future). However, I received an email back saying, she is going on holidays in few days and if I want feedback I should email her again after a week, which I think was not very professional because she could have just emailed me my feedback or try to arrange a day when she is back. I did not understand the point of her asking me to email her again to remind her. The interview panel was very friendly and calm at the day of the interview but the response I received on asking for feedback was a bit rude in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• What did you not like about your old job? What accounting systems you are familiar with? Excel competency? A time when you were working within a team and took an initiative to resolve a problem? What was your job role at a previous job?   Answer Question

Student Ambassador Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK).

Interview

Not too formal
    Consisted of a range of one to one questions and then a quick presentation you get told about on the day.
    Around 30 other people at the interview.
    Make you feel at ease

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Very friendly atmosphere, 2 interviewers who were both Graduate Ambassadors. Questions were not designed to trip you up, and in general were more designed to find out more about my university experience as a whole.

Interview Questions

• If a student on a course were to attempt to start a relationship with you, how would you deal with this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in October 2013.

Interview

Standard competency questions, along with a presentation and questions about you and your CV. Very quick interview no longer than 20 mins. Pretty competitive but as long as you are relaxed, confident and prepared it is easy.

Interview Questions

• How well do you work in a team?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

First interview was a short telephone interview. Asked some technical basic questions. Second one was face to face. I have completed short technical test and talked my old experiences.

Interview Questions

• What way do you prefer to contact for clients? Telephone, email or face to face, why?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Very relaxed and at the same time professional. Gave me the reassurance that I will be given a fair opportunity. They asked me some very detailed questions and I was given plenty of opportunity and time to answer. The overall environment was very friendly compared to some more intimidating experiences I have had in the past in different places.

Interview Questions

• My experience in the subject.   1 Answer

Housekeeper Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK).

Interview

First part of the interview was a "test" where they walk you into a room and ask how you would clean it.
    Second part was a series of questions in front of four members of staff. One person read questions verbatim off a sheet and nobody responded to or asked any follow up questions to anything I said. The questions were very general and about workplace problems (i.e. Give an example of conflict resolution, when you made a change in the workplace) and therefore very little was discussed of my previous housekeeping experience. There were a couple of questions where I asked for some clarification, and the person asking didn't seem to know how to explain and said they didn't know.
    Overall, the interview process felt very robotic and inflexible, to the extent that I did not want to accept the job if offered.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you made a change in the workplace and how did you cope with this change.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you had to deal with a sensitive issue with co-workers.   Answer Question

PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle, England (UK)) in March 2010.

Interview

The course I had completed was of a high standard so only a few questions were asked regarding my knowledge of the subject. I think the interview was mainly to see if I was a functioning human as my references gave them much of what they must have been looking for.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to discuss several aspects of the course I had completed   1 Answer
    • Asked me if I had any questions about their research   1 Answer

Accepted a similar offer at another institution

PhD Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Reasonably informal telephone conversation. Expressed my interests and skills, explaining how they worked with the research objectives of the group. The interviewer was friendly and interested in employing graduates from different backgrounds to approach the research themes from different angles.

Interview Questions

• Questions were specific to the research theme of the group.   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Newcastle (UK) in April 2013.

Interview

I sent my CV, cover letter and Diploma Supplement by email to the person in charge of the laboratory. After a few weeks, I received an email in which I was asked when I was available for a skype talk. This person had previously talked with former supervisors and attentively read my CV, motivation letter and Diploma Supplement. In my case, the very high M.Sc. degree and the positive opinion of my previous supervisor really helped me to have the position.

Interview Questions

• Explain your previous experience and why it should fit with the job   1 Answer