University of Northumbria Interview Questions in Newcastle upon Tyne, England | Glassdoor

University of Northumbria Interview Questions in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Updated Aug 8, 2017

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Student Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Northumbria (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)).

Interview

Application form, in tray exercise on managing priorities representing what a day in the role would cover followed by competency based interviews with a panel of three including line manager for the role being advertised.

Interview Questions

• How would your colleagues describe you and give your strengths and weaknesses   Answer Question

Senior (IT) Technician - School of Engineering & Environment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Northumbria (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

The technical test followed by personal interview.

Incorrect job description advertised, I realised this after been interviewed.

I been told in interview feedback, you was very good candidate & was in for final two but decisions making panel decided not to employe any one.

Waste of time for application / day off for interview / parking cost etc

expected lot more professional approach then this.

Basically they was specifically looking for SCCM 2012 strong experience & skills. Which was desirable in advertised job description. I was 100% sure I done practical test correct as asked for. Yet the person (one of the interviewe) who rang me had to give me some reason why I wasn't been selected - I think he made it up - ohh your practical marks was not up to scratch. I did had SCCM exposure and I manage to do all the task asked in practical test. But bottom line he said department is lot under pressure & we don't have time for someone to get get up to speed. Specially all need to be ready for September intake. I argued you will not find anybody (hence they did not employ anyone) who have skills that they can come in and start working. It will take time to get use to huge IT system in university network.

The way IT works it's about giving some one little bit time to get use to specific technology (SCCM in this case) get up to speed. In response to this he is like - well it wasn't my decision to not employ you etc & he said we will possibly end up getting internal help for other faculties IT Technicians.

Very strong thing is - my work colleague got call for same job interview after few weeks I been - his interview got cancled at last minute by university.

Unprofessional & unbelivale behaviour from university like Northumbria.

Interview Questions

• Bog standard questions. You going to fix issue and some one else stops you they also having issue?   1 Answer
    • Have you dealt with a situation out of your comfort zone?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with third parties.   Answer Question
    • Some technical questions on RAID / DNS etc   Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Northumbria (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

A rigorous interview process made up of three stages:

Stage One is application

Stage two: You need to prepare a 5 minute presentation as to why you want to work in Higher Education and why they should pick you. You need to present this in front of 16 other graduates (assuming your application was successful) and 6 senior executives of the University. It follows a system of alphabetical order; so it's ideal if your surname begins with 'A' to get it over and done with should you be nervous! Following the presentation you will take part in x2 group exercises. All that really needs to be said here is don't take a back seat! Engage and work collaboratively with your colleagues and don't be afraid to take charge! They are assessing you the whole time so make your presence known.

Stage Three: This is the interview stage with members of the panel and the final stage of the process.

Interview Questions

• What are some factors affecting Higher Education?   1 Answer
    • Discuss a time when you worked as part of a team   1 Answer
    • What is Northumbria good at? What can Northumbria do to improve ?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Northumbria (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was three months before any further communication via email inviting me for an interview. Interview was last of day and panel seemed totally disinterested and tired. Room layout was poor and made for awkward presentation.

Interview Questions

• if you were successful what do you expect things to look like in three years time?   1 Answer