University of Pennsylvania Administrative Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Pennsylvania Administrative Assistant Interview Questions

2.9

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

Warm, welcoming, and passionate staff. Interview consisted of standard background and experience questions. Interviewers spoke very highly of the institution at large and genuinely seemed to enjoy their current positions. Just had interview, still waiting for outcome.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of Pennsylvania

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Pleasant interview with faculty member held in his office. He told me his title and explained his roles. He also explained the position that I was applying for in more detail. He asked the questionTell me about yourself, I stated my work experience. He also asked how I handled myself under stress and how I prioritized work under strict deadlines,etc

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, Why should we hire you? Why are you leaving your present job?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you? Why are you leaving your present job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a very long process which included an online application, a phone interview with the hiring manager, and then an in person interview with the team. The interview were thoughtful and fine but there was a lot of time between each interview. Afterward I sent a thank you email and it wasn't until a month later I received the generic "we've moved forward with someone else". I followed up with the hiring manager for feedback and she only responded that they decided to hire a UPenn Alum.

Interview Questions

• Very general questions about how I work in a team, my experience with budgets, and staying organized. They seem to be feeling more so for my personality than anything else.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I was in a different department interviewing for that department in front of a panel of six. A panelist took my resume back to her department for the position that was open in her department. I was call in for my first interview a week or so after the interview with the panel and the second the week after that. Was hired and I've been here in the College Advising Office ever since (16 years). I'd start to interview with other departments after not being able to go any farther in this department.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult Question is where do you what to be in five or ten years.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online received a call for an interview 3 days later.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2012.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, make sure you posses most of the qualities that they are asking for in a job description. Have the ability to speak about previous work experience, and explain why you would be a good fit for the position you are applying for

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had a challenging situation, how did you overcome it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Difficult to negotiate, Penn already has a set salary for your position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2009.

Interview

I applied online and got a response two weeks later. I would recommend applying the day the job is posted to get in the pool of applications that actually get received. There was a scheduled phone interview where I was asked questions like "Describe yourself", "Describe how you handle stress", "What is your experience with MS Office?", very basic, non-behavioral based interview questions. After a successful phone interview, I did a 1:1 interview with the Assistant Dean of the dept., who was nice and asked several of the same questions in the phone interview. Then I was sent to a series of panel interviews that combined lasted about 3 hours. The questions were all focused on my skill sets and past performances.

Perception of the office: It seemed to me that the people who worked there were rather cold and professional, and one woman indicated that I would be everyone's servant (without actually saying that, but she impressed that idea quite firmly) and that I would have to deal with people who were in bad moods often (again, not her exact words, but the general idea). I came away from the interview not wanting the position. I do not know who they hired for the job, but the last person who held the job had a master's and was working on a Phd...so obviously extremely overqualified for a job that requires a minimum h.s. diploma.
    The salary seems fair with the market, $30,000 for an admin. assistant job.

Interview Questions

• Questions were generally easy, and no behavioral based interview questions (example "Tell me about a time when you...), which was fortunate because I'm pretty sure everyone hates those questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2009.

Interview

After submitting application online I heard a response via phone message within 2 weeks requesting an interview. Met with a panel of managers who would share supervisor duties for the position. Questions focused on my personal goals and how I handle stress in the workplace. I had done research of the department online and was able to format my answers to apply to the position/department. All of the four managers facilitating the interview asked questions and participated; rapport was congenial. I made a point to make eye contact with all questioners when answering questions. After this group interview I was introduced to another administrative assistant and given an opportunity to discuss the position and the work environment.

I sent thank you letters to all of the managers I met with as well as the admin assistant. I followed up via e-mail after a week with no response. A week later I received a phone message thanking me for the interview and informing me they went with another candidate who had more experience I was encouraged to continue applying to U Penn. . I had a mistake on my resume that was pointed out during the initial interview; I have a feeling that was the one thing that cost me this position more than anything else. I sent another thank you letter asking for any advice as I continue my job search but received no further response.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle multiple projects and deadlines from different supervisors?   1 Answer
    • How would you manage a staff of work-study students?   1 Answer