University of Pennsylvania Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

2.6

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Phila, PA).

Interview

Technical interview about my previous experience and publications. My career goals? There were multiple sessions wherein presented my work and then panel would ask questions based on presentation. They sent me multiple papers and asked for my comments.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Just one salary offer take it or leave it.

IT Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

Phone screen with the hiring manager. The interviewer was very condescending and left a really poor impression. I was so taken aback by this person's demeanor to the point where I informed them that I was no longer interested in the role. I hope my experience isn't representative of Penn's IT department as a whole, but beware!

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I was able to interview virtually for the first portion, answering 5 questions. Next, I was invited to an on-campus interview, one-to-one, with an Assistant Dean. It was very warm, professional, and easy to ascertain UPENN culture.

Interview Questions

• Describe my professional experience with employers and developing employment opportunties?   Answer Question

Grants Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Two Interviews. One with two Grants Managers and then my final with the Director of Finance. It was very straightforward and moved quickly. I got the position through Penn's preferred temp agency, Unique Advantage. It was temp-to-perm.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions (greatest strength/weakness, describe a workplace dispute). Nothing inventive.   Answer Question

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

First interview with future boss and his boss
    Second interview with future colleagues
    Final interview with HR manager
    Atmosphere was cordial and engaging
    Once convinced about my credential, interviewers were rather friendly
    Depth of questions was average, since I was very familiar with the software they used and its maintenance

Interview Questions

• Describe my experience with software projects   1 Answer
    • My work history   1 Answer
    • Describe my experience in managing direct reports   1 Answer

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone screen followed by an in-person interview with a five-person committee. Everyone was very nice, although it can be intimidating to be interviewed by a large panel. The in-person interview took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my previous experience in higher education.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

The hiring and interview process was very simple; this was for a student position. I responded to an online posting on the school website and was called in to interview with the lead researcher. It was a relaxed and casual atmosphere. Many questions were of the "let's get to know you" type, and fairly easy to answer. Just have a good understanding of your resume and what you've done so far.

Interview Questions

• How do your studies and skills relate to [research topic]?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (New York, NY).

Interview

It was short and 30 min interview. Basically I was asked about my previous interests. How did I ended up coming for a phd and why did I changed my track from computer engineering to computational biology. Also the recruiter asked about my current work.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

Submitted Google form and then a 20 min interview. The acceptance rate was about 250 applications, from which about 40 are interviewed. Head TAs lead the interview process. Interview itself is with 2 head TAs- a brain teaser question, explaining of a concept, and then fake office hours.

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I interviewed for a spot at the FTD center, a lab in the hospital that studies aging. The interviewer was very unprofessional - arrived late, remembered another upcoming appointment halfway into the interview, and did not give me a chance to ask the questions I had prepared after doing my research on both the position and the lab's work. The interviewer also asked questions that were already answered on my resume, and just overall seemed extremely disorganized and unfit for proper interview behavior. I prepared for this interview, but the lab did not.