University of Pennsylvania Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Pennsylvania Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.9

Research Technician Interview

Interview

Interveiw was scheduled after the PI was reffered to me. Spoke to the PI for about three minutes before being awkwardly left with one of her post docs (who happened to be the only other african american person in the room). A standerd interveiw followed with minimal contact with the PI. She later posted the job on the hr website and essentially reacted as if we had never met when I emailed her directly. In resproscept, a pretty negative experience.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about our lab? (I hadn't; they had contacted me).   1 Answer

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position in early March. After waiting more than a month, I received an automated email informing me that an interview was to be scheduled, and was contacted for a phone screening to occur the following week. The screening delved into a bit of my experience and some of the tools that I used. Then, after a two-week waiting period, I was invited back for a second round of interviews to be held in early May. This interview featured a full hour of reviewing my technical skills followed immediately by about 45 minutes of standard interview operations.

The most annoying thing about this was the length of time that it took for me to get a yes or no. The final decision was to be communicated two weeks following the second round interview, but it did not arrive until nearly a month later and after weeks of repeatedly reminding the hiring manager, which is unacceptable for a customer service-based department.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your networking experience.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to resolve a conflict either with customers or with fellow employees? What did you do to resolve it?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I was able to interview virtually for the first portion, answering 5 questions. Next, I was invited to an on-campus interview, one-to-one, with an Assistant Dean. It was very warm, professional, and easy to ascertain UPENN culture.

Interview Questions

• Describe my professional experience with employers and developing employment opportunties?   Answer Question

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I interviewed for a spot at the FTD center, a lab in the hospital that studies aging. The interviewer was very unprofessional - arrived late, remembered another upcoming appointment halfway into the interview, and did not give me a chance to ask the questions I had prepared after doing my research on both the position and the lab's work. The interviewer also asked questions that were already answered on my resume, and just overall seemed extremely disorganized and unfit for proper interview behavior. I prepared for this interview, but the lab did not.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

The man who scheduled the first phone call was actually an analyst himself I think, not a recruiter. Talked about the job, the team, and asked me in general about my skills and interest. No technical questions. One thing I found strange was although the job description emphasized good knowledge about data tools like R, Python, Tableau, the questions he asked me were about Excel. I told him I don't use Excel that much, but certainly if I could get good at R and Python I can get good at Excel. This seemed to satisfy him. Overall it was a pleasant interview, except he told me he'd get back to me within a week and never did.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

Warm, welcoming, and passionate staff. Interview consisted of standard background and experience questions. Interviewers spoke very highly of the institution at large and genuinely seemed to enjoy their current positions. Just had interview, still waiting for outcome.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

The physician reached out to me personally to set up an interview. Immediately I thought that this was either a REALLY good sign or a REALLY bad sign. Turns out it was the latter. The first interview was by phone. It wasn't bad, but he postponed the face-to-face interview twice.

He postponed the first one-on-one interview the day before (via email). And I only found out that the SECOND interview was postponed the day of. I just so happened to check my email which included a sincere apology from the doctor. However, I was already dressed and in route to the second scheduled interview by the time I received the message. He had sent the email after MIDNIGHT teh day of. Now, I don't know about you, but I try to go to bed early the night before an early morning interview. So I didn't receive the message until it was too late. I understand that things come up, but that was twice so far that I had to schedule time off of work!

After a week of of not hearing anything, I decided to reach out to the doctor again to schedule an interview for a THIRD time. Only after I pressed the issue did I actually receive an interview. Finally! During that interview, I met with three different people... in two different departments.... in two different buildings. They seemed sort of disorganized and distracted. But that's why they were looking for help, right? To make matters worse, I never heard anything back from them! Not a "no thank you" or "thanks for applying anyway." Nothing. Nada.

In hindsight, if this is how they treat their applicants, I can only imagine how they would treat their employees. The lesson here for job applicants? If an interview is postponed multiple times, it's a red flag! Please believe me.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Nothing creative or out-of-the box. (i.e. what makes you a good fit for the position? Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in August 2016.

Interview

Presentation was required and multiple questions regarding your research were asked during the interview. The PI and the post-doc were the interviewers. You have to be prepared to be interrupted during your presentation. In the end of the interview, you will be notified how likely you will actually get the position.

Interview Questions

• Please explain mechanism of each step for my synthesis sequence.   Answer Question

Director of Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Phila, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

Very professional starting with phone screening then team interview. The team was well prepared and had good questions. They were prompt and friendly. They sent excellent directions to the campus, offered coffee and seemed genuinely interested in my experience and skills.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Phila, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview started with a tour of the lab facilities. After which I sat down with the person I was to be replacing to see exactly what the job entailed. From here I met the remaining members of the lab and then went to meet the PI. After meeting with the PI I was free to go and was followed up with in the next week.