University of Pennsylvania Research Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 8, 2017

2.6

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Phila, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

Talk about research, expectations, what my background is, go through the motions, have a tour. Overall it was okay but drawn out. Salary was also mentioned during interview. For this position, an entry level position, it shouldnt be too difficult to secure a good interview.

Interview Questions

• What experience you have with PCR   1 Answer

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I interviewed for a spot at the FTD center, a lab in the hospital that studies aging. The interviewer was very unprofessional - arrived late, remembered another upcoming appointment halfway into the interview, and did not give me a chance to ask the questions I had prepared after doing my research on both the position and the lab's work. The interviewer also asked questions that were already answered on my resume, and just overall seemed extremely disorganized and unfit for proper interview behavior. I prepared for this interview, but the lab did not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by another research specialist and met with a few people in the lab that I would be working with if extended an offer. The other researchers were friendly, easy to talk to, and seemed happy about their current positions. Unfortunately I didn't get the job, but I was more disappointed that I was rejected via a "noreply" generic email and not more personally...I would have liked to ask for interview feedback but I feel funny doing so now.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I was referred by another staff member in the lab, so I sent the PI a cover letter and resume. I was then invited for an interview, where I met with the PI and the senior research associate for a relatively informal interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

HR set restrictions on the salary depending on how many years of experience I had, which meant there was little room for negotiation.

Research Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview. Two women interviewed me. They mainly asked questions regarding what experience I had related to the job, but there were a few questions about my personality. In the end, I didn't get an offer for a second round interview because I hadn't worked with the population they described.

Interview Questions

• "How do you typically manage stress?"   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by research coordinator to schedule interview, met with PI and other lab members at interview. PI asked about background, goals, any questions about application. Lab members described daily tasks and some projects occurring in the lab. Overall a good thorough interview process at a great academic institution. After interview, was contacted within 2 weeks to discuss offer.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, then in person interview. It's easy if you have previous experience in research. Of course, they explain to you what they do in the lab and what they plan on doing. They also explain why they need another person (me) in the lab and what their expectations are. You then tell them your relevant skills relating to what they've explained. They showed me around the lab. Met current researchers.

Interview Questions

• They ask for technical laboratory skills.   1 Answer

Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a long interview involving talking to half of the researchers in the lab. I talked briefly to the PI and then moved on to other post-docs and researchers. The process was informal and lasted for about 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• About my research in undergrad, about my interests in the lab, and my expectations in next two years.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position on University of Pennsylvania's career site. I was called to meet the lab manager and PI. I learned about the research projects and toured the lab. I had a phone call with the PI and lab manager to review my skills. The position was offered to me after five months (once the lab obtained its funding) and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

My interview was scheduled directly with the P.I. through email. I interviewed a week after the initial contact, and was given their decision two weeks after the interview date. I interviewed with three different lab personnel. The interview was informal and I wasn't asked too many questions. They did most of the talking and I was asked only about my previous research experience.