University of Pennsylvania Research Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Pennsylvania Research Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Feb 4, 2017

2.6

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I interviewed for a spot at the FTD center, a lab in the hospital that studies aging. The interviewer was very unprofessional - arrived late, remembered another upcoming appointment halfway into the interview, and did not give me a chance to ask the questions I had prepared after doing my research on both the position and the lab's work. The interviewer also asked questions that were already answered on my resume, and just overall seemed extremely disorganized and unfit for proper interview behavior. I prepared for this interview, but the lab did not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by another research specialist and met with a few people in the lab that I would be working with if extended an offer. The other researchers were friendly, easy to talk to, and seemed happy about their current positions. Unfortunately I didn't get the job, but I was more disappointed that I was rejected via a "noreply" generic email and not more personally...I would have liked to ask for interview feedback but I feel funny doing so now.

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I was referred by another staff member in the lab, so I sent the PI a cover letter and resume. I was then invited for an interview, where I met with the PI and the senior research associate for a relatively informal interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

HR set restrictions on the salary depending on how many years of experience I had, which meant there was little room for negotiation.

Research Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview. Two women interviewed me. They mainly asked questions regarding what experience I had related to the job, but there were a few questions about my personality. In the end, I didn't get an offer for a second round interview because I hadn't worked with the population they described.

Interview Questions

• "How do you typically manage stress?"   1 Answer

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by research coordinator to schedule interview, met with PI and other lab members at interview. PI asked about background, goals, any questions about application. Lab members described daily tasks and some projects occurring in the lab. Overall a good thorough interview process at a great academic institution. After interview, was contacted within 2 weeks to discuss offer.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, then in person interview. It's easy if you have previous experience in research. Of course, they explain to you what they do in the lab and what they plan on doing. They also explain why they need another person (me) in the lab and what their expectations are. You then tell them your relevant skills relating to what they've explained. They showed me around the lab. Met current researchers.

Interview Questions

• They ask for technical laboratory skills.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position on University of Pennsylvania's career site. I was called to meet the lab manager and PI. I learned about the research projects and toured the lab. I had a phone call with the PI and lab manager to review my skills. The position was offered to me after five months (once the lab obtained its funding) and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

My interview was scheduled directly with the P.I. through email. I interviewed a week after the initial contact, and was given their decision two weeks after the interview date. I interviewed with three different lab personnel. The interview was informal and I wasn't asked too many questions. They did most of the talking and I was asked only about my previous research experience.

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

After applying online, was contacted by lab PI to interview on-site. Learned the laboratory's research interests and current projects, then was asked about my research experience and motivation. After meeting with current members of the lab, met with PI again to discuss my potential role. An offer was sent a few weeks later.

Research Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I interviewed here twice- same position in two different departments about 6 months apart. Both experiences were crummy.

Experience #1- Long phone interview, then in-person interview. Travel was (very) partially reimbursed but only after reminding them more than once. They were looking to hire 'in a few months' but still interviewed me. I followed up maybe two months later and was told that they had put the search on hold but would let me know either way. Then I never heard from them again and saw the position reposted a few weeks ago. The people were very nice but I think when applicants spend a significant amount of time and effort going to interviews, we're owed a polite rejection. It's not that hard.

Experience #2- No initial phone interview, instead I was invited for an in-person interview and given very rigid time frames. When I explained that I'd be traveling from out of state (which was clearly listed on my resume) and the times didn't work for me because of travel restrictions, they said they'd get back to me about times in the future because the PI would be traveling. I was able to rearrange my schedule and make one of their times work but wish I hadn't. These people were unnecessarily rude and acted as if I should feel privileged that they even deigned to be in the same room with me. They said they wanted to fill the position ASAP but certainly within the month. Then they introduced me around and just left me standing there with someone in the office for at least 20 minutes… he had to go and track my interviewer back down and then she just told me I was all done. They didn't even acknowledge that I came from out of state on my own dime, last minute, and rearranged my schedule to meet with them.

I never heard from them again (surprise) except when HR sent me an email saying that this position matched my profile and inviting me to apply for it… it was the same position I had just interviewed for a month earlier! And my HR profile was marked as 'interviewed' so it seemed pretty obvious.

It also seemed obvious that no one communicates with one another and they don't know what they want, they just like to 'window shop' candidates. It seems that neither of these positions have been filled.

I'm sure Penn has the cream of the crop to pick from because they are certainly acting as such. But I certainly will not waste my time applying with them in the future. It seems like it'd be a pretty good place to work overall but when you can spot the dysfunction within a one-hour interview, there's more than likely tons more to be seen…

Interview Questions

• The questions were general experience questions, nothing crazy.   Answer Question