University of Pennsylvania Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.6

Grants Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Two Interviews. One with two Grants Managers and then my final with the Director of Finance. It was very straightforward and moved quickly. I got the position through Penn's preferred temp agency, Unique Advantage. It was temp-to-perm.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions (greatest strength/weakness, describe a workplace dispute). Nothing inventive.   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

Selection based on class performance. The class involved weekly assignments, especially focused on class presentations. Ability to provide appropriate and useful feedback was crucial to getting the job. The professor reached out at the end of class to see if I was interested. Once I expressed interest, I was asked to write a statement of interest for the role, which was subsequently reviewed.

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

First interview with future boss and his boss
    Second interview with future colleagues
    Final interview with HR manager
    Atmosphere was cordial and engaging
    Once convinced about my credential, interviewers were rather friendly
    Depth of questions was average, since I was very familiar with the software they used and its maintenance

Interview Questions

• Describe my experience with software projects   1 Answer
    • My work history   1 Answer
    • Describe my experience in managing direct reports   1 Answer

Research Specialist A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position on University of Pennsylvania's career site. I was called to meet the lab manager and PI. I learned about the research projects and toured the lab. I had a phone call with the PI and lab manager to review my skills. The position was offered to me after five months (once the lab obtained its funding) and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

It was very casual and he just explained what he and his lab was doing and asked about my interests and goals. He asked me a few questions about the specific work he was doing.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

After applying for this position, I got a email from the PI, and scheduled a meeting date. On that day, I visited UPENN, and presented my work in the group, meeting with my PI personally. Later, I submitted 3 recommendation letters and got a email of acceptance after 3 weeks.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

The hiring and interview process was very simple; this was for a student position. I responded to an online posting on the school website and was called in to interview with the lead researcher. It was a relaxed and casual atmosphere. Many questions were of the "let's get to know you" type, and fairly easy to answer. Just have a good understanding of your resume and what you've done so far.

Interview Questions

• How do your studies and skills relate to [research topic]?   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

Submitted Google form and then a 20 min interview. The acceptance rate was about 250 applications, from which about 40 are interviewed. Head TAs lead the interview process. Interview itself is with 2 head TAs- a brain teaser question, explaining of a concept, and then fake office hours.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (New York, NY).

Interview

It was short and 30 min interview. Basically I was asked about my previous interests. How did I ended up coming for a phd and why did I changed my track from computer engineering to computational biology. Also the recruiter asked about my current work.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

I found this position through the online work-study job search, but they offer both work-study and non work-study positions. I picked up a paper application from the Manager's office in Houston Hall. I returned the application to the same office and interviewed 5 days later. The interview was very fast, probably 15 minutes and included a quick scan of my resume, questions about my background and a focus on my interest in the position. I was hired immediately after the interview.