University of Pennsylvania Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2017

2.6

Director of Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Phila, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

Very professional starting with phone screening then team interview. The team was well prepared and had good questions. They were prompt and friendly. They sent excellent directions to the campus, offered coffee and seemed genuinely interested in my experience and skills.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Phila, PA) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview started with a tour of the lab facilities. After which I sat down with the person I was to be replacing to see exactly what the job entailed. From here I met the remaining members of the lab and then went to meet the PI. After meeting with the PI I was free to go and was followed up with in the next week.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

Standard interview process. First submitted an application. Got an email asking for references. Then a phone interview . Then a visit to give a seminar and tour the facilities. Met and socialize (breakfast, lunch, dinner) with lab people. Fast and very well organized.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with professor over the phone. First to introduce yourself, your time avaliablity and then to discribe what projects you have done before and how are those experience related to their current research. Then meet with HR to discuss with some general questions like working terms and sign up confidentiality agreement.

Interview Questions

• What was your experience related to this position?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

It was very casual and he just explained what he and his lab was doing and asked about my interests and goals. He asked me a few questions about the specific work he was doing.

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

First, I was asked to do a recorded video interview, it wasn't face to face. I had to record answers to 5 questions and was given multiple tries for each. I was then called in for an in person interview with 3 supervisors, given information about potential salary and benefits, and given a tour of the building and office I would be working in. The interview lasted about an hour and I was given time to ask them questions at the end. They liked that I was engaged and interested enough to ask thoughtful questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you had a conflict with a coworker and how you solved it   Answer Question

Senior Research Investigator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

Pretty standard two-step interview process. I applied it online and received a response within one week. The first phone interview was scheduled on the following week. During the phone interview, I spoke with the hiring manager and was asked to explain my prior research experience. The phone interview only took less than 5 min. Then, I was asked for a presentation at on-site and met several senior researchers at the following week. After interviewed, I waited about 2 weeks to receive the employment appointment.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

Very efficient and professional. Everyone was pleasant and on time. However, there was one interviewer who went off the standard questions and was trying to get a reaction out of me. Mind you, this guy should've retired 10 years ago...

Interview Questions

• The typical interview questions for this position. I was pretty sure I was the most qualified, but I didn't get hired. After some months, I checked online to see who they hired. They hired one of their own graduates. I checked other jobs in their other offices and they have a pattern: they hire their UPenn 90% of the time. So, unless you think you're the best one because you're in high demand at other institutions and/or you're a UPenn graduate, don't think of applying to a job here.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

Approximately 8 hours long. Met with about 7 different people, including my PI. Gave a 1 hour lecture on my PhD research, and went to lunch with some of the lab. It's a long day, but worth it.

Interview Questions

• How will you leverage your knowledge gained throughout the PhD to benefit the lab?   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

Selection based on class performance. The class involved weekly assignments, especially focused on class presentations. Ability to provide appropriate and useful feedback was crucial to getting the job. The professor reached out at the end of class to see if I was interested. Once I expressed interest, I was asked to write a statement of interest for the role, which was subsequently reviewed.