University of Pennsylvania Research Specialist A Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Pennsylvania Research Specialist A Interview Questions

Updated Feb 4, 2017

2.5

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I interviewed for a spot at the FTD center, a lab in the hospital that studies aging. The interviewer was very unprofessional - arrived late, remembered another upcoming appointment halfway into the interview, and did not give me a chance to ask the questions I had prepared after doing my research on both the position and the lab's work. The interviewer also asked questions that were already answered on my resume, and just overall seemed extremely disorganized and unfit for proper interview behavior. I prepared for this interview, but the lab did not.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of Pennsylvania

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by another research specialist and met with a few people in the lab that I would be working with if extended an offer. The other researchers were friendly, easy to talk to, and seemed happy about their current positions. Unfortunately I didn't get the job, but I was more disappointed that I was rejected via a "noreply" generic email and not more personally...I would have liked to ask for interview feedback but I feel funny doing so now.

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

I was referred by another staff member in the lab, so I sent the PI a cover letter and resume. I was then invited for an interview, where I met with the PI and the senior research associate for a relatively informal interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

HR set restrictions on the salary depending on how many years of experience I had, which meant there was little room for negotiation.

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania in June 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by research coordinator to schedule interview, met with PI and other lab members at interview. PI asked about background, goals, any questions about application. Lab members described daily tasks and some projects occurring in the lab. Overall a good thorough interview process at a great academic institution. After interview, was contacted within 2 weeks to discuss offer.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, then in person interview. It's easy if you have previous experience in research. Of course, they explain to you what they do in the lab and what they plan on doing. They also explain why they need another person (me) in the lab and what their expectations are. You then tell them your relevant skills relating to what they've explained. They showed me around the lab. Met current researchers.

Interview Questions

• They ask for technical laboratory skills.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position on University of Pennsylvania's career site. I was called to meet the lab manager and PI. I learned about the research projects and toured the lab. I had a phone call with the PI and lab manager to review my skills. The position was offered to me after five months (once the lab obtained its funding) and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

My interview was scheduled directly with the P.I. through email. I interviewed a week after the initial contact, and was given their decision two weeks after the interview date. I interviewed with three different lab personnel. The interview was informal and I wasn't asked too many questions. They did most of the talking and I was asked only about my previous research experience.

Research Specialist A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania.

Interview

After applying online, was contacted by lab PI to interview on-site. Learned the laboratory's research interests and current projects, then was asked about my research experience and motivation. After meeting with current members of the lab, met with PI again to discuss my potential role. An offer was sent a few weeks later.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2012.

Interview

I was contacted via email by the principal investigator (PI). We set up for an interview, which was very casual and laid back. Everyone in the department I interviewed in was helpful, as finding my way to the Principal Investigator's office was a task. When the interview was over, the PI promised to get in touch with me within two weeks. I got the job, and the rest is history.

Interview Questions

• There was none. The interview was very easy, thankfully.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was unable to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2011.

Interview

I received an email from the office of the PI for whose lab I had applied to. The interview was scheduled entirely through email. The process consisted of a one on one interview with the PI, who had seen my qualifications on my resume and had been curious as to the fact that I went to the same graduate school as the one she'd been teaching at until recently. However, this seemed about as far as her interest went as far as I was concerned.

She said up front without barely asking any questions that the job she had in mind probably wasn't a good fit for me, but reassured me that I should keep looking for a job and if I didn't find one within a few weeks to contact her again for another position that she might need filling in the future.

It was a very odd experience, but one that I came out of fairly happy.

Interview Questions

• What sort of experience and techniques do you have in the lab?   1 Answer