University of Phoenix Enrollment Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Phoenix Enrollment Counselor Interview Questions

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2010.

Interview

I submitted my application online. Referred by a employee who forwarded my resume to a recruiter. I later received a email to schedule a telephone interview which took place as scheduled.

An in-person interview was scheduled. Potential recruits & I watched a company a video, took a tour, and performed individual telephone roll plays related to the job position. Lastly, was a personal interview with a hiring manager.

Overall, I felt the interview was exciting, initial the telephone interview will prepare you for in-person interview process so listen well during the telephone recruiters instructions. During the in-person interview it is the telephone roll play is what will get you to a the personal interview with a hiring manager. Only another potential and myself made it to this phase of the interview after our roll plays.

Interview Questions

• roll play student-
    Why should I enroll as a student to your school instead of XYZ school?
    Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing to negotiate as far as pay, it is given up front during telephone interview. Work hours are negotiable, but business needs give 4 options to choose from. Do a background on the position and company needs before applying.

Other Interview Reviews for University of Phoenix

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Fairfax, VA) in April 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by University of Phoenix with a phone interview and the next day I had to join a group interview. I did not have enough time to prepare for the presentation or the interview and I shouldn't have scheduled it for the next day knowing thaat I was unprepared. Others in the interview didn't seem to prepared either.

Interview Questions

• Why do want to work for the University of Phoenix?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Houston, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

Had one on one interview with senior recruiter, standard questions asked and scheduled second interview. was not aware that it would be a group interview until I visited this site. was only told that I need to prepare a 5 min PowerPoint presentation and the interview should last 45 min. we'll see how the group interview goes tomorrow.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Atlanta, GA) in January 2010.

Interview

I got a call from the corporate recruiter and answered a few relatively easy questions (e.g. why do you want to work for UOP, etc.) and was granted a group interview. I had to give a 2 minute sales pitch on why I should be hired in front of the rest of the group. We were told that 5 out of 22 interviewees would get the job. The next step was a panel interview followed by a 1 on 1 interview with the enrollment manager. I got an offer like 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a good candidate for the job?   Answer Question
    • What are you going to do to establish a relationship with the potential student?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate salary. I was able to negotiate start date for training.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Oakland, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

First contacted by Regional Rep. Warm and inviting personality.

First group Interview experience so was a bit nervous but the posts on GlassDoor.com summed up what I could expect and it was dead on. The interview team was positive and made everyone relaxed. They didn't ovesale the position. Gave it to us straight which was appreciated.

Careful not to go over the 2 minutes for the short "about me" speech. But be sure to go ahead and sell yourself by including something that makes you stand out from the other 10 candidates.

Overall good experience and great place to work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenbelt, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Greenbelt, MD) in October 2009.

Interview

I hope this helps!
    I submitted my cover letter and resume, manager called, interviewed me on the phone. Asked what success meant to me, why I should be hired as an enrollment counselor, describe my three weaknesses. How my education and previous work relates to enrollment counselor job description. He told me that I passed the first test and sent me information to come for assessment interview. About 40 individuals showed up one was a white woman two individuals were from abroad and about 37 individuals were Afro Americans men and women. The mangers asked each individual to introduce themselves in one minute. Talk about their education, relevant work/experience and why they should be hired as enrollment counselor. Five managers where there and they observed â?¦and two of them took notes. Sorry to say but one white manager who was taking notes demonstrated nonverbal redneck attitude and would constantly look at us with ignorant look. Few of the mangers were hinting to the manger who was taking note by nodding yes or no by shaking their heads it was so obvious and embarrassing to watch them do that one female manager was standing right front of us was also using her eye movement and head nodding to express who could be a potential candidate. I think they were not very professional. Then one of the managers would pretend to be someone visiting Uni of Phoenix and asked each of us to take turn playing the role of an enrollment counselor. Next they gave a paper with ten variables, motivation, leadership, communication, nonverbal communication, success record, information on University of Phoenix....we were asked to prioritize the list from 1-10...(1 most important 10 the least important. Then we were grouped five in each group and were asked to rank the same variables as a group. They picked a few people to give answer to why they chose certain variable to be more important. Later they told us that there was no right answer which I figured it out but my team members did not agree and I did not push them. Later they showed a presentation of University of phoenix and the role of an enrollment counselor which is telemarketing and gave a five minute break and asked those not interested to leave. Later they asked everyone to go in a room and wait for individual interview. They had a camera and were observing us for behavioral analysis. Later they asked me to come and took me to the room where all the managers were and the Manager who was taking notes told me in a very short manner oh we did not want to tell front of the rest of the people that there is no interview today and we will call you. I was a bit shocked and embarrassed but shook his hand and smiled and said I look forward to hearing from you. When I walked out some other people told me the same story. So I do not know if they will call me...will write back in a few days so those thinking to interview for this position can mentally better prepare themselves.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix in September 2009.

Interview

1. Recruiter contacted me over phone 1 month after I applied for the position.
    2. Scheduled a group interview. Had to do presentation, answer questions, and role play.
    Questions consisted of asking what my previous employer would say of my work, strengths and weaknesses, and a role play where I was already an enrollment counselor and one of the interviewers was a student (this was HARD!).
    3. One week later there was a 30 min. 1:1 interview with director of local campus.
    4. 2 week wait to be offered job.

Interview Questions

• What role would you play in a group project. Are u a leader or a follower?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2009.

Interview

Easiest interview ever. You basically have a simple phone interview. Then you come in and meet with a few managers and conduct a mock phone counseling session.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any planned absences in the next 90 days. They asked this a lot for some reason.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for enrollment counselor role. $33K, take it or leave it.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Phoenix in August 2009.

Interview

Started off doing a phone interview everything went great, I then got invited into a group interview were we watched a brief presentation. We were asked to be in the role of a enrollment counselor and iterview the person next to me, when i left i was asked to come back and do another interview which is in a few days hopefullly all will go well

Interview Questions

• when was a time that you failed on the job and how did you fix it   1 Answer

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Phoenix in July 2009.

Interview

My interview process is extremely lengthy so far. Some reviews on other sites have classified interviewing with University of Phoenix as a "part time job" and this is very true. I first had a phone interview with a recruiter from out-of-state (a weird area code came up on my phone, so I didn't answer right away). It took the recruiter 5 hours to call me back once I left a return voicemail. The phone interview was not an easy one. Usually, phone interviews just ask you about your last job, education, etc but this one asked questions that required more detailed answers. "so why do you want to be an Enrollment Counselor?" "What do supervisors do to motivate you?" "What are your professional goals?" "How would you deal with a negative situation?" etc.
    I was scheduled the next day to go in to meet with the supervisor.

I had a one-on-one interview in a tiny conference room (sitting across a very small table from the interviewer). The interview was over an hour long. The interviewer asked many of the same types of questions as the phone interview. They are those types of questions where you could be "stumped" really easily if you are nervous. If you're good at verbalizing and talking your way through things, you should be fine. But, if you tend to be shy or nervous you may want to practice beforehand...a lot.

I was scheduled the next day for a phone interview role play session with the interviewer/supervisor. The interviewer plays a student (an outgoing/eager one and then a shy/reluctant one). You have to pretend (awkwardly so) that the interviewer is, in fact, a student and you have to sell them on UofP. It is really hard. This is the make or break part of the interview, clearly. My approach was to keep everything positive and to ask the "student" lots of questions and it seemed to work well. However, it is difficult to do this knowing full well you do not know the "Phoenix Way" and could sound like a complete moron in front of your potiental boss. This process took about 30 mins. I had to do each scenario twice. Once, "cold" not knowing anything about the situation. The second time was after the interviewer/supervisor complemented me on things I said/did right and corrected things I said/did wrong. The interviewer asks you to correct specific mistakes in the second exchange with the "student". This, to me, was challenging to do with no preparation and not knowing how I am expected to do things. I guess that's the point.

I was told I could get a follow up call about the next stage(s) in the process.

These involve a second interview, this time with higher management. Also, an extensive background check (credit, school, criminal, traffic, employment) which I was told could take weeks.

The interview process is very, very extensive for what is an entry-level job.

Interview Questions

• What are some ways you have experienced a supervisor not deal with things correctly?   2 Answers