University of Phoenix Instructor, Part-time, On-campus In College of Arts and Sciences Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Instructor, Part-time, On-campus In College of Arts and Sciences Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Phoenix (Las Vegas, NV) in August 2010.

Interview

Application resulted in an 1:1 interview with two current faculty in my area of expertise. They wanted to know how I gain new information, apply it to my practice, and how I network professionally.

Next was a Faculty Assessment night where I made a five minute PowerPoint presentation, as a classroom similiation, to three faculty and all of the other (nine) candidates for various positions within Las Vegas. It was only anxiety provoking in that I was not sure what they were evaluating; in hindsight it was the presentation (engagement, timing) itself more than topic content or research.

Following this was a four session training course where I learned how this University operates and the management's expectations if employed. Had to pass an exam (open note) and be recommended by the course's facilitator.

Finally, full background check with fingerprints was done and then hiring paperwork began.

The part that was frustrating at times is that management does not disclose how you are stacking up in comparison to other candidates; I was unsure if what I was doing was the same, better or worse than expected. Normally that would not be an issue, however, they claim that each phase is distinct and a method for disqualifying candidates to the point you wonder how are you comparing. Every one that I started with was there at the end. I found the faculty to be welcoming and professional, which is the main reason for my acceptance of an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. The University treats all incoming faculty the same, you either accept the terms or not. Compensation is similar to other universities for part-time work. Continuation of employment is based on performance which is evaluated by students and peers.