University of Pittsburgh Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Pittsburgh Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2017

2.5

Research Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pittsburgh.

Interview

I applied online, interviewed one month later, and received an offer two weeks after that.The interview was in person with the PI and lasted roughly an hour, which included a tour of the lab and an introduction to the other staff member. It was pretty intense, involving designing experiments and troubleshooting issues.

Interview Questions

• If you were to design the perfect BSL1 E. coli strain, what are all of the considerations you would have?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pittsburgh.

Interview

Interview process is straightforward - with direct supervisor of the position being interviewed for. Interviews are in-person. Each job position must interview a minimum of 3 individuals before making a selection unless a special waiver is obtained.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals with the University?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

Good and they will ask you the question about resume. also there are some algorithm and machine learning problems. you need to think and answer it immediately. So, do more prepare and you need to really know what you list on the resume, if you are not good enough in that skill, don't list it!

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Pretty easy. not at all difficult. it was kinda of a joke though. i wouldn't recommend working here unless you get a job in one of the new biology/tech towers. steep hills also deterred me

Work Study Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I met with a grad student to discuss their research. It was pretty straight forward and interesting. I have been working for a while now learning laboratory procedures, it's a lot of fun!

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

I was asked about my educational background, experience in the field and reasons I felt I would be fit for this role regarding the current study.
    I was then given details about the study and the tasks I would be responsible for while the study was conducted.

Department Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Pittsburgh.

Interview

Met with department chair and spoke to office staff in the hiring department. Spoke to HR for a screening interview, then had appointment with department chair. The process was quick, but never got a response to follow ups. Didn't get job.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working at Pitt? What experience do you have with purchasing? How would you deal with a difficult faculty member?   Answer Question

Research Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Nice environment, the research supervisor described requirements and duties for this position, gave me a tour around facility, introduced to research group, asked questions about my interests, schools,previous jobs, why decided to apply for this position and which classes from my degree would be relevant and/or helpful for this research project , what I considered as my strong sides, shortly introduced me benefits and discussed my ability and flexibility to work on different research sites.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about oral bacterial flora( research was about connection of oral health and development of heart disease)   1 Answer

IT Help Desk Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by three people in the department. They all basically just asked about what was on my resume then asked when I would be able to start. Very low stress.

Interview Questions

• When would you use Excel and when would you use Access?   1 Answer

Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I applied online, and the next step in the process was a skype interview. The in person interview was scheduled two months after the initial application. This required a design project that was to be completed and presented to four interviewers over the course of two hours. The project required a personal spin on a product they already had (advertising items for campus stores). The questions were all pretty standard and read from packets. The day before my interview, after I turned in the design project for review, the department receptionist emailed me saying they were unsure of where the department was in the process. This was a mistake that shook me up quite a bit, especially since I put quite some work into my presentation. I was then informed that email was for someone else.

A month after the interview, I reached out again to see where the process was. I was given such a vague answer and told to reach out to the personnel coordinator, who had a similar response. I received a letter of regret three months after the original job posting. When I reached out for direct feedback, the only response was that the department was going in a different direction. I again rephrased my question for direct feedback regarding the project, but the personnel coordinator did not respond or help me contact the correct person. A concern I have is that the university will use my designs for their benefit without my knowledge (this has happened to me before with interview based projects).