University of Southampton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 27, 2017

2.9

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England (UK)).

Interview

Panel interview including a presentation of prior research experience and a discussion regarding its content.

It was located at Southampton general hospital research wing. Tea/coffee/water was provided and a projector availabke. Adequate instruction for the interview process given in advance.

Interview Questions

• Explain the kinetic constant of affinity.   1 Answer

Accountancy Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and straightly got invited to attend a face to face interview without telephone interview. A competency based interview, some hypothetical questions and some questions concerning education. A friendly atmosphere. Travel expenses were not refunded.

Interview Questions

• Can you give us an example of prioritising your tasks.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Interview

The interview was focus on the research experience and academic track, the relevant experience and training should be proved. The ability of time management and problem-solving were tested during the interview. Generally, just be frank and straightforward.

Interview Questions

• An unexpected research question for the testing of problem solving ability.   Answer Question

Senior Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England (UK)).

Interview

Application through old fashioned form on the website using a question and answer format about your experience using software packages, etc as well as work history, qualifications. Interview invitation received via email. Due to timing of interview during very busy period at the dept everything ran late. Interviewers mostly questioned job history, asking why I relocated 10+ years earlier etc, why I wanted to relocate now. Nothing particularly groundbreaking or difficult. Invited into the future postholders office and met the team. Spent a week following up after the date that I was told I'd receive a response by. No feedback despite provision of feedback being in their policy.

Research Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton.

Interview

Two stages, a test followed by a panel interview.
    Overall, positive experience during interview, but terrible when it came to the communication of the results of the recruitment process. They would notify us by the end of the week and in the end they emailed me in the end of next week, unable to provide any feedback.

Interview Questions

• Beyond the general, typical competence questions, they asked specifically about several job-related issues (eg research ethics etc).   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Southampton.

Interview

I had a brief screening phone call with the head of research group before a formal interview. The interview was with two senior members of the research group. During it, I gave a short talk about my work to date before the usual set of questions. Afterwards I was invited to have a brief conversation with the head of group.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe the architecture of a computer system I had been involved with.   1 Answer

Faculty Position In HCT Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Southampton (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

I have already did my interview one month ago. It was so nice asked some question regarding to your teaching philosophy. I have been informed after one week that I have been accepted.

Interview Questions

• Which city do you prefer to work in UAE?   1 Answer

Careers Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview was only 30 minutes long, conducted by panel of three people, questions asked were all relevant to the role and no surprise questions. The entire application process was quite long, from sending my application it took about 4 months to be invited to an interview. The interview panel was friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• If you got this role, how would you go about improving the offering?   Answer Question
    • Why did you decide to apply for this role?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Southampton in August 2015.

Interview

A brief two on one interview with fairly basic questions to assess your competency for the position and what you know about the university itself, and the particular department for which you would be working. Nothing too tricky, and the interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the University of Southampton?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a short interview as they knew me and my work prior to the interview. They just asked me about my views on the project on offer and describe my role in the project.