University of Southampton Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Southampton Interview Questions

Updated Nov 15, 2017

2.9

Careers Telephone Surveyor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton.

Interview

The interview was about 30 minutes long. The interviewer began by explaining the role and asked if you had any questions. Then the interview was in 2 parts. The first half was like a general interview e.g. why do you want the role, what are your strengths and weaknesses, tell me about your experience. Then the second half was you actually doing the survey by calling someone over the phone. The survey was sent to you in the mail before the interview, so its best to get familiar with it.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want this job? How will I deal with a difficult customer? What will I do if someone does not want to do the survey?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

My first interview was an informal Skype call, with the PhD supervisor. I was then asked to attend a formal Interview the following week, I couldn't attend in person and was generously accommodated with a Skype interview. The interview whilst formal and rigerous, was friendly and stimulating. I was asked to give a presentation on my MSc research and then answered questions on my experience, what I could bring to the research team and specific questions on the technical details of the PhD

Interview Questions

• How would you establish robust controls for in order to assess the effectiveness of the treatment developed.   Answer Question
    • What are the potential risks associated with the use of this technology in a therapeutic capacity?   Answer Question

RF Engineering Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Johor Bahru (Malaysia)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Johor Bahru (Malaysia)) in June 2017.

Interview

Short questions directly related to type of work to be undertaken as well as its relation to your experience and areas of expertise. Varies from supervisor to supervisor as the procedure is not standardized and depends on availability as well as applicant

Interview Questions

• Questions related to basic transmission line theory and matching techniques   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England (UK)).

Interview

Panel interview including a presentation of prior research experience and a discussion regarding its content.

It was located at Southampton general hospital research wing. Tea/coffee/water was provided and a projector availabke. Adequate instruction for the interview process given in advance.

Interview Questions

• Explain the kinetic constant of affinity.   1 Answer

Accountancy Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and straightly got invited to attend a face to face interview without telephone interview. A competency based interview, some hypothetical questions and some questions concerning education. A friendly atmosphere. Travel expenses were not refunded.

Researcher Interview

Interview

The interview was focus on the research experience and academic track, the relevant experience and training should be proved. The ability of time management and problem-solving were tested during the interview. Generally, just be frank and straightforward.

Interview Questions

• An unexpected research question for the testing of problem solving ability.   Answer Question

Senior Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England (UK)).

Interview

Application through old fashioned form on the website using a question and answer format about your experience using software packages, etc as well as work history, qualifications. Interview invitation received via email. Due to timing of interview during very busy period at the dept everything ran late. Interviewers mostly questioned job history, asking why I relocated 10+ years earlier etc, why I wanted to relocate now. Nothing particularly groundbreaking or difficult. Invited into the future postholders office and met the team. Spent a week following up after the date that I was told I'd receive a response by. No feedback despite provision of feedback being in their policy.

Research Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton.

Interview

Two stages, a test followed by a panel interview.
    Overall, positive experience during interview, but terrible when it came to the communication of the results of the recruitment process. They would notify us by the end of the week and in the end they emailed me in the end of next week, unable to provide any feedback.

Interview Questions

• Beyond the general, typical competence questions, they asked specifically about several job-related issues (eg research ethics etc).   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Southampton.

Interview

I had a brief screening phone call with the head of research group before a formal interview. The interview was with two senior members of the research group. During it, I gave a short talk about my work to date before the usual set of questions. Afterwards I was invited to have a brief conversation with the head of group.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe the architecture of a computer system I had been involved with.   1 Answer

Faculty Position In HCT Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Southampton (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

I have already did my interview one month ago. It was so nice asked some question regarding to your teaching philosophy. I have been informed after one week that I have been accepted.

Interview Questions

• Which city do you prefer to work in UAE?   1 Answer