University of Sydney Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 12, 2017

3.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at University of Sydney (Sydney (Australia)) in August 2017.

Interview

This was for a job for Microsoft based in a research group at Uni of Sydney. I was interviewed over the phone by two postdocs.

The interview differed wildly from the job description I was sent and nothing I prepared for was relevant as a result. One interviewer seemed inexperienced but was interested in finding out my strengths, the other interviewer was very rude and gave the impression that I was wasting her time (after she only showed up halfway through). Both interviewers asked some skill based questions that were vague and weren't able to provide more detail when I asked. I'm not sure how I made it to the interview process as the questions they were asking were beyond my experience so maybe they didn't read my resume.

A recruiter put me forward for this job and I did receive feedback through them. It was their opinion that the job had changed between the job description being written and me being interviewed.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Sydney.

Interview

Communications with the HR department took about a month to organise for the interview panel, the selection criteria changed on the day of the interview invitation. The interview panel was uninterested in my research, declined to answer my question (a very common question) and clearly had made a decision on a candidate before the interview. Makes me think that interviews were a typical made and they weren't actually looking. Searched online, the Department have been in a recent dispute, which was out in the papers. I received a rejection from the HR, within 4-5 days, no feedback. Within days, I accepted a research position in another university.

Interview Questions

• Based on the collaborations I would bring in, the goals of the School etc
      I never experienced such a weird set of 'research' interview questions.   Answer Question

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Sydney (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2016.

Interview

Presentation and interview. 10 minutes to prepare a 5 minute long presentation according to the topics. Second part was a group interview basically covered the questions answered in selection criterion.

Interview Questions

• Based on Selection Criterion   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Narrabri (Australia)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Sydney (Narrabri (Australia)).

Interview

Group interview process. Other interview processes may be different as the work place is at different stage then when I applied for my position and because of my years of experience. The Narrabri site was in the period of rebuilding after years of cut backs in agricultural research and has been able to secure reliable funding.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Sydney.

Interview

During the interview I was asked about resume and previous research records. They also seemed very interested in what I did and why I thought I could be successful in the future research. It was pretty standard, not too difficult. The interviewers are friendly and there's some fascinating research going on here.