University of Texas at Austin Administrative Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Texas at Austin Administrative Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Texas at Austin

2.8

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview

Interviewer was late and unprepared, asked questions outside of position, never made eye contact, asked personal questions I was not comfortable that is all thirty words seems like a long amount am I done yet

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of Texas at Austin

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX) in August 2019.

Interview

Go into office, have interview in front of panel at a conference room setting. They are very nice and take turns asking questions. It's hard to feel like you connect with any one of them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX) in January 2018.

Interview

The process was basic. Interviews conducted as team, never one on one. The process is very slow, sometimes taking months for a decision or the position can be cancelled.

Interview Questions

• Where do you want to be in 5 years, strengths and weaknesses, how do you get along with people, why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Most of the times only students can apply. Short and quick interview. Questions asked were mostly related to time management skills and multi-tasking. A very short interview and got the offer right away.

Interview Questions

• How good are you at time management? Tell me some scenarios when you were frustrated by poor time management and how changes did you make?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Three interviewees, balanced character questions, very professional. Interviewed with head of HR, administrative manager and co-worker. UT is a wonderful place and offers many options whether you're goal is to stay long term, or gain experience and transition into other sectors.

Interview Questions

• Are you a "big picture" person, or a "little picture" person?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

First round interviews were conducted on the phone with three individuals working in the department, not the actual supervisor or director themselves. The phone interview was about half an hour long, and was very informal; The individuals interviewing me were very relaxed and were asking questions that gauged whether or not I could be a prospective employee that could move up in the department. Two to three days later I received an email stating that I would be interviewed in person with the supervisor and the associate director. The day of, I was asked some general background employment information, but not as extensively as the phone interview. The questions asked were more hypothetical "what would you do?" situations, and since the job I applied for is more team work based, how I handle and work as a team player. Overall, the associate director and the supervisor were very pleasant, gave great feedback which I know some departments on campus who interview do not do that.
    Three to four days later I received a call to join the team.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a situation where you have a repeat student caller who is upset about not being admitted to the University?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX).

Interview

The whole process has taken weeks to months (for two different jobs). The (+) sign at the end of the compensation bracket is a lie. There is no room for negotiation and they can't pay well because of the bureaucracy of UT. People were nice, but it was a waste of time for the money they were willing to offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you've had to work with difficult people and how you accomplished your goal.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin.

Interview

Met with immediate supervisor and dean.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX).

Interview

What an interview is like really depends on the department and how savvy they are at interviewing people. The head HR office is not involved in the process. UT staff are not very well educated about what questions they legally can/cannot ask.
    Before being hired, I interviewed for an event assistant position at UT and the woman asked me only a few questions and took very little interest in my answers. I left with the realization that she already knew who she wanted for the position and was just doing the obligatory round of interviews. My assumption proved to be correct, as the rejection letter I received said they had selected an internal candidate.
    My interview with my department was a bit tougher. The first round was a phone interview with the Director. This was followed by a single in-person visit to the office which consisted of an interview with the Director alone and then an interview with the department members I would be assisting, then closure with the Director. The team was not very friendly but the questions were fairly standard. I was hired for the position. My teammates are awkward and do not know how to interview people or what to ask. These days we take it fairly easy on candidates with the questions we ask. The interviews are definitely easier than when I was hired. Having the team interview candidates is fairly pointless because while the Director hears our feedback, he hires people whose personalities are similar to his and whether or not it looks like they will stay in the department for a while.

Interview Questions

• I think the most difficult question is always something along the lines of, do you get along with others, or how do you deal with conflict, or do people bother you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

When they first called me concerning the position, I wasn't expecting an on-the-spot interview. They asked me about my work history, why I chose to apply with UT Austin, and if I had any Excel and statistical experience. They then offered me a face-to-face interview.

The face-to-face interview consisted of a 30-minute one-on-one interview with the dean, plus a 30-minute panel interview with the rest of the department.

Questions asked:
    -Tell us about yourself and why you applied for this position.
    -Why did you get a master's degree?
    -Tell me about a time you had to handle multiple projects at once. How did you prioritize?
    -What did you like about your former employer?
    -What's your ideal work environment?
    -What do you like to do for fun?
    -What would you bring to the position?
    -What have you been doing since your last job?
    -What are your favorite TV shows?
    -Where do you see yourself in five years?
    -What brought you to Texas?
    -Why are you looking for jobs in Austin rather than Dallas?
    -What other companies have you applied for jobs with?
    -Out of your former jobs, what was your favorite and why?
    -How would your supervisors describe you?
    -How would your colleagues describe you?
    -Would you be able to work effectively in a team environment?

I then had a Skype interview with the few people that weren't at the office the day I interviewed. It lasted 20 minutes.

After the Skype interview, I know they started to do a reference check, but I have not heard anything yet. It's only been one day, though.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any unexpected or unusually challenging questions.   Answer Question