University of Toronto Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Toronto Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2018

2.5

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Once admitted to a graduate program, you will be assigned an advisor (if not already previously arranged) or you will meet with the department administrator. Based on your previous studies or current research interests, you will typically be assigned, rather than be asked to choose, a professor to work with. There's no negotiating this. Because of this, it's not uncommon for scheduling conflicts to arise between the undergraduate class you're assigned and your own graduate school courses.

In some cases, professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. Show confidence so you're not taken advantage of by unreasonable work expectations, but do ask as many questions as needed to clarify the professor's expectations and avoid surprises later.

Interview Questions

• Professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. You may be asked how knowledgable you are on the subject matter be taught in class - if in doubt, ask the professor for material and/or suggestions on how to catch up.

There was no mention prior to hiring, but all Teaching Assistants must join the union and pay dues. This also means deferring to the agenda set by the union and occasional strikes during contract negotiations.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

I emailed professors in the department I was interested in before I applied online. Then I we discussed my past experience and research I worked on and what I was interested in pursuing for my graduate research

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto in September 2008.

Interview

The interview was not very formal and the hiring process was quick. Interviewer was very direct and the questions were straight forward. Dress code was also informal as the position was meant for a student part time. Hence, interviewer was very friendly and was very approachable. The knowledge needed for this job was limited but there was a small learning curve when working there.

Peer Career Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2014.

Interview

Traditional interview with one employer and you. My supervisor had her questions ready in front of her and took notes. Interview was about 30 mins and no questions were surprising

Interview Questions

• How do you think your experience as a peer career advisor will help you in your own career development?   Answer Question

Ph D Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Esfahān (Iran)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Esfahān (Iran)) in March 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with a professor from UofT via Skype about my background and skills. The professor and his major research assistant asked me some questions about computer network and artificial intelligence.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with the container in Linux?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

The interview process involved and online application, an in person interview with the direct manager as well as a human resources representative, followed by references and offer of employment.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto in August 2009.

Interview

Very comprehensive, behavioral, professional

Negotiation

bad

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2015.

Interview

Asked a few questions about past experience and some work skills and interests. Mostly focus on how you will fit in the work environment. Just answer yes and try to come up with some experience that support your fit for the work.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience working in a research lab environment and how was it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None.

Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2018.

Interview

pretty casual, they asked me basic questions about myself and then responded 3 working days later that i got the job. They understood the position I was coming from and didn't ask unrealistic things from me.

Interview Questions

• What challenges have you faced? and how did you face them?   Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

Initial screening phone call with HR. First department interview was 1:1, and the second was with a panel, which included a portfolio presentation. Questions formed a wide range from getting to know you type, to what types of sites inspire you as a designer, and technical-related questions. They also provided plenty of time for me to ask questions as well.