University of Toronto Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Toronto Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2017

2.5

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Once admitted to a graduate program, you will be assigned an advisor (if not already previously arranged) or you will meet with the department administrator. Based on your previous studies or current research interests, you will typically be assigned, rather than be asked to choose, a professor to work with. There's no negotiating this. Because of this, it's not uncommon for scheduling conflicts to arise between the undergraduate class you're assigned and your own graduate school courses.

In some cases, professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. Show confidence so you're not taken advantage of by unreasonable work expectations, but do ask as many questions as needed to clarify the professor's expectations and avoid surprises later.

Interview Questions

• Professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. You may be asked how knowledgable you are on the subject matter be taught in class - if in doubt, ask the professor for material and/or suggestions on how to catch up.

There was no mention prior to hiring, but all Teaching Assistants must join the union and pay dues. This also means deferring to the agenda set by the union and occasional strikes during contract negotiations.   Answer Question

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto in September 2008.

Interview

The interview was not very formal and the hiring process was quick. Interviewer was very direct and the questions were straight forward. Dress code was also informal as the position was meant for a student part time. Hence, interviewer was very friendly and was very approachable. The knowledge needed for this job was limited but there was a small learning curve when working there.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

I had an informal interview with the supervisor and mostly discussed the scope of the project based on my experiences. I was asked for my resume and transcript for record. After accepting, some administrative things and safety training was required to start work.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted via email and offered an interview. A panel of three people interviewed me. It was somewhat awkward as they all frantically scribbled down my answers to their questions.

I did not hear back in the time frame I was given and emailed the HR representative to see where they were in the process. It's been months and I never was contacted with a rejection note or call, which seems unprofessional as well as disrespectful of candidates' time and effort. I took unpaid time off work for the interview.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Very brief process. All of my qualifications were discussed and my transcript was also reviewed. I was asked about my research interests and where I saw my education going. I also had the opportunity to engage in discussion with the supervisor and ask more about what would be expected of me in the research position.

Interview Questions

• How does your education or past research experience prepare you for this position?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

There was one interview, scheduled 3 weeks in advanced. There was a panel, and they asked me questions. There was a form that I had to submit that asked for 3 references. The recruiter said that after they have interviewed their candidates they will contact for permission to connect with the references I submitted.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

Nonexistent - hired on CV alone. Applied through an online system, no interview, informed by email when I had received the job
    I was not interviewed at all. The "interview" consisted of me sending an application (resume and cover letter) through email to the Chair. Overall the experience was nonexistent

Student Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward. There was a phone interview first to determine what days I was available, in person interview had 2 interviewers who were friendly librarians. Lasted less than 20 minutes, following the interview there was a library of congress classification test.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with an unruly or rude customer   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

I wrote an email to the professor says I'm interested in the research position, she told me to contact master students in her lab. Then after couple email, she told me to send my CV and transcript. In a week, I got an interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

I approached one of the professors first near the beginning of the semester through emails. Some time later he replied and asked for an interview. It was a telephone interview with two professors from the group. A few questions about my motivation, the skills required for the job, and whether I have a driving license. Relatively easy, but it really depends on the employer's personality.