University of Toronto Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.5

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

Met with the lab and gave a presentation on my PhD research, and then answered questions that they had. Was given a tour of the lab and then went to lunch with all of the lab members.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

You will likely be asked questions about your teamwork skills, your interpersonal relations, your management style or your ability to work in a diverse environment. Review the job posting again and try to anticipate other likely areas of questioning, and prepare honest and concise answers that highlight relevant aspects of your work history and life experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your main research project at the moment? (It is important to ask
      other people about their research and discuss it in a way that reveals your
      interest in economic questions outside of your area.)
      Are you happy with the research environment here?
      How does this department compare to the others you’ve been in?
      What kind of courses are you teaching, and how much control did you have over that?
      Which seminars do you regularly attend?
      Are there any units outside of the department I should know about, for example, any
      interdisciplinary centers that offer research grants?

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2015.

Interview

Asked a few questions about past experience and some work skills and interests. Mostly focus on how you will fit in the work environment. Just answer yes and try to come up with some experience that support your fit for the work.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience working in a research lab environment and how was it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None.

Proctor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

A formal job interview is not required. If the head of an academic department knows/recognizes you or your name, you have a good chance of being selected fro the applicant pool if there is a tie breaker. The most important aspect is how much involvement you've demonstrated in conjunction with the department and how many courses you've taken in that discipline. Your GPA is also considered when your application is reviewed and so is the reference that you selected from the department to vouch for your honesty and good character to the department.

Interview Questions

• What is your GPA?
      How many courses have you taken in this academic discipline?
      How are you fit for this position?
      What volunteer work have you done in the past?

Work Study Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

I went for an interview with the professor, it was pretty relaxed. She showed me around the lab, and I met some of the grad students. She basically read off the sheet in front of me the questions for the interview, which was kind of interesting. The questions were pretty straightforward though, and she basically answered all of them when we went on a little tour so if you paid attention, you were good to go.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

You have to talk to the professor and let him know why you want the job. You have to let him/her know that you are in for the experience and you really enjoy the work. You should also mention that it will help you with the practical hours you will need to graduate

Interview Questions

• Why you want the position?
      What would you be able to offer to strengthen the team?
      2 Answers

FOH Usher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Professional attire and attitude, asked if you are able to take on this job as well as part or full time academic studies. Get your First Aid and Smart Serve training, apply early in your academic career and you can be promoted before graduation.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

The interviewer first asked me why I am the perfect fit for the role. Then, she asked me about the course selections I did. After talking about myself, she soon told me that I was hired. It was a really quick process overall.

Office Assistant (Work Study) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the two staff members I would be directly assisting and asked questions about my abilities to do the tasks the position required such as leading tours and corresponding with incoming students.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience interacting with incoming students?   1 Answer

DEEP Councellor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

A group of 8 students were brought in and the 3 interviewers asked a question and went abound the room expecting each person to answer it. Finally we were set in groups of 2-3 and given an item from abox and had to make a presentation about that item with 5 minutes to prepare. The presentation lasted 2 minutes

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to resolve an issue withing a group.

If a student had a problem with understanding or implementing a new concept what would you do to make it clear to him?

What is your experience dealing with students?