University of Toronto PhD Student Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Toronto PhD Student Interview Questions

PhD Student Interview

Interview

You will likely be asked questions about your teamwork skills, your interpersonal relations, your management style or your ability to work in a diverse environment. Review the job posting again and try to anticipate other likely areas of questioning, and prepare honest and concise answers that highlight relevant aspects of your work history and life experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your main research project at the moment? (It is important to ask
    other people about their research and discuss it in a way that reveals your
    interest in economic questions outside of your area.)
    Are you happy with the research environment here?
    How does this department compare to the others you’ve been in?
    What kind of courses are you teaching, and how much control did you have over that?
    Which seminars do you regularly attend?
    Are there any units outside of the department I should know about, for example, any
    interdisciplinary centers that offer research grants?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Toronto

PhD Student Interview

Interview

The interview process was long and endurance driven but it had to be done. I was interviewed by the whole lab and then finally spoke with the professor. He was nice and polite and very detailed about the project that I was about to embark.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think that I should accept you into this lab?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

I was a master student working in the same lab. So for me there wasn't any interview. But based on other colleagues, you do need to have outstanding grades or publications in order to get an interview opportunity. The interview includes a talk with the professor, and usually lunch with the current lab members. Both are important.

Interview Questions

• what is your research interest? and why are you interested in our lab?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

I applied a PhD position in a department via the graduate school general admission system. Then, a professor contacted me for a Skype Interview. The process is easy and smooth. The interview questions are not very difficult. I guess it is because of the diverse background of PhD candidates. I guess the most important consideration for those professors are based on the general impression of potential PhD candidates' personality and previous research experience.

Interview Questions

• Knowledge on Proposed PhD Topic
      Basic Knowledge in Scientific Research
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2008.

Interview

The undergraduate grade is important (GPA: at least 3.4 out of 4.0). Getting accepted into the program is not difficult, but finding a supevisor with funding is the tricky part. A good way to find out which professor has the most funding is perform a manual search on publication database (e.g. PubMed) and see who has the most publications in the past 3 - 5 years. Pick out 2 - 3 professor that has the highest productivity, and go for the one that you have interest and experience in.

Interview Questions

• How can your experience contribute to our lab?   Answer Question
    • Have you thought of an innovative question to explore within our lab's resources?   Answer Question