University of Toronto Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 22, 2017

2.1

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

Met with the lab and gave a presentation on my PhD research, and then answered questions that they had. Was given a tour of the lab and then went to lunch with all of the lab members.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of Toronto

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

Emailed a scientist for a post-doc position advertised online. Got invited to an interview in a week. The scientist gave me a tour of the lab and then asked for my background. After another four weeks, I was informed another candidate with experiences better matches the lab's object was hired.

Interview Questions

• My past research experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2014.

Interview

My interview was with my supervisor, he asked about my past research experience, looked into my papers, CV and resume, and asked me if I can perform project management of a group of master's and PhD students for their research projects. For my position, having experimental research background was important to my supervisor.

Interview Questions

• How long would it take you to write a paper provided you have all results?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

1. Phone Screening: the interview lasted about an hour; asked about research interests, future research plans, research skill-sets I can offer, etc.
    2. On-campus interview: I gave a 30 minute talk to the lab members, and then also have an hour long conversations about future research plans with the PI.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The PI asked about an expected salary, and I suggested an average post-doc salary in Canada (37000 CAD). The PI offered 40000 CAD after considered my previous postdoc experience.

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

I answered to an ad posted on a mailing list, was contacted by email for scehduling a Skype interview. After the interview, I flew to Toronto and met the lab. Got a postive answer after two weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2010.

Interview

Got a post-doc by emailing the P.I., I think that my publications got me the job easily.

Interview Questions

• They just asked me to send proof of my studies and following I got the letter of employment.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Took what they offer me. There was no negotiation. Postdoc are paid below average.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto in January 2009.

Interview

I got the perception that PI was hiring for the cheapest person available, not for the best.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very easy.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Toronto in June 2008.

Interview

I initially emailed the department and asked if they were looking for postdoctoral fellows. Within a couple of days, I got an email from a professor and came in for an interview. The questions were relatively easy to answer however I felt it was very difficult to get any information about the work environment. I came back for a second meeting and was offerred the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate anything.