University of Toronto Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Toronto Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2017

2.4

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Very brief process. All of my qualifications were discussed and my transcript was also reviewed. I was asked about my research interests and where I saw my education going. I also had the opportunity to engage in discussion with the supervisor and ask more about what would be expected of me in the research position.

Interview Questions

• How does your education or past research experience prepare you for this position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Toronto

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

I wrote an email to the professor says I'm interested in the research position, she told me to contact master students in her lab. Then after couple email, she told me to send my CV and transcript. In a week, I got an interview.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

A introduction to the concept that I would be working on. Fairly laid back. Prof seemed cool. Asked me for my preferences and what courses I had taken. Also asked me if I am applying for awards and which ones

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

I get the interview by applying through university's website. The professor ask me about my basic backgrounds, like what courses am I taking now and my GPA. Then she asked me about specific programming language I can use. What can I do with those programming language?

Interview Questions

• Do u know text mining? Can you use Java to implement text ming?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Was a lovely group of people, a bit intimidating, but a warm welcome. Overall I left feeling confident. They took a long time to get back to me however. I submitted by email and they hired me after a week and a half, but I did not start work for a while.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted about a month later for a phone interview. Very fair interview that required you to know how your past skills related and why you were interested in the job.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

You have to talk to the professor and let him know why you want the job. You have to let him/her know that you are in for the experience and you really enjoy the work. You should also mention that it will help you with the practical hours you will need to graduate

Interview Questions

• Why you want the position?
      What would you be able to offer to strengthen the team?
      2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

I just sent my transcript and a resume to my prof. He contacted with me after 2weeks. We schdulded a meeting in his office. He told me he can find some projects to let me work on during this summer, so i say yes. I also applied nersc scholarship. So he didnt really pay for me.

Interview Questions

• What kind of work do u want to do   1 Answer

Negotiation

Length of the work

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

Straight forward interview process with predictable questions. Candidates should simply answer honestly and say that they are looking forward to using their experience for future academic purposes. Also it is important why you want to work for a certain department at UofT. Research assistants can have a broad range of responsibilities so it is important why that particular RA position is important for you. The pay is obviously going to be minimum wage, especially if you are an undergraduate but the experience more than makes up for the compensation. Again I highly recommend this position to any undergraduate student.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a research assistant, and why do you want to work for this faculty?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Do it. It is overall a valuable experience to have personally and on your resume. Future employers will definitely regard a candidate with research experience.

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

Easy, it was a one to one interview with employer, 20 minutes long, not structured. The meeting was in the employer office. I was comfortable prepared many questions. It was a relaxed talk. I didn't have to do any test. It was nice we had an acquaintance. This could have helped in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to study here?   1 Answer