University of Toronto Teaching Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Toronto Teaching Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.1

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

Once admitted to a graduate program, you will be assigned an advisor (if not already previously arranged) or you will meet with the department administrator. Based on your previous studies or current research interests, you will typically be assigned, rather than be asked to choose, a professor to work with. There's no negotiating this. Because of this, it's not uncommon for scheduling conflicts to arise between the undergraduate class you're assigned and your own graduate school courses.

In some cases, professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. Show confidence so you're not taken advantage of by unreasonable work expectations, but do ask as many questions as needed to clarify the professor's expectations and avoid surprises later.

Interview Questions

• Professors will ask to meet you ahead of the class starting to judge the fit, but the likelihood of swapping assignments is slim. You may be asked how knowledgable you are on the subject matter be taught in class - if in doubt, ask the professor for material and/or suggestions on how to catch up.

There was no mention prior to hiring, but all Teaching Assistants must join the union and pay dues. This also means deferring to the agenda set by the union and occasional strikes during contract negotiations.
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for University of Toronto

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

I contacted the Professor with my credentials, she went through my projects and checked out if I knew everything I was looking for and was hired. She was a bit concerned that I might feel let down as the university standards were not as same as the industry standards and I might feel let down.

Interview Questions

• What will you bring new to the team?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview by the prof in his office, write code on whiteboard and discuss former experience. Also spend 1 hour talking about my research project. He is interested to see if you have actual coding experience with the programming language. Must be able to demonstrate you not only know the programming knowledge but also programmed a lot yourself.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

I did not have an official interview as a teaching assistant. I got a position because I was a graduate student. I guess it depends on which department you are in.

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

From my experience it is very professor dependent. Usually there are a couple of questions on the content itself. For example, I was asked to write equations and solve them for a statistics course. The second aspect was about teaching style and communication, specifically for students that english may not be their first language.

Interview Questions

• If you dont know the answer to a question that a student asks, how would you respond   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

Usually there is no interview although I have heard of cases where there is one, usually for younger students. You just have to apply and you will hear back from them. If your marks are high enough, then that is just what they go off of.

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

I was a graduate student at U of T and I applied for the position through my department. I had an informal interview with the professor of the course. The interview consisted of questions about my educational background and my previous experience teaching. I found out a week later that I was chosen for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in being a teaching assistant for this course? What courses have you taken in the past that relate to this course? Do you have any previous teaching experience?   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Toronto (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview consists of informal communications with the professor followed by a sit-down.
    The prof will typically ask multiple questions to gauge the candidates' technical competency followed by a series of questions that gauge the candidates organisational/administrative abilities.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

you have to apply before the deadline and have all your paper docs ready. sometimes you get a phone call interview from professor who is interested your background and like to have you work in his/her group. but if there is no professor like to have you then you will not hear back from the department. as long as you have the offer, you can just give applications and the department staff will arrange your TA work

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Toronto.

Interview

I applied online to TA job postings. The corresponding professors contacted me by email to arrange an interview if I was selected for that stage. I believe only their preferred applicant is interviewed for quicker hiring, but one professor said he was interviewing others as well. The interviews were short and informal, often focused on education and experience with the subject being taught and the role of a Teaching Assistant. Developing a rapport helped because you work directly with them and represent them. Skills like detail orientation and reliability are also important. Availability is huge, always asked about in my experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a student disagreeing with their mark?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The wage is set in the collective agreement and very favourable. However, we did discuss number of hours expected after I accepted the offer, which was signed by both of us to determine the pay I received.