University of Utah Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Utah Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Nov 11, 2016

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

meet 3 professors individually, talk ~ 30 minutes in their offices, talk about my own research experience , why I am interested in working with them, ask them questions about their research

Interview Questions

• Mark asked me one question: Do you use vi or emacs?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for University of Utah

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

The interview included all the basic background and experience questions. Primarily about my educational background and testing my medical knowledge.It was a telephonic and then other round had skype interview. Afterward, i got the offer letter,

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

The depatment emailed me about the position. I applied. About 5 of us were interviewed. The interview happened a week after the job position was posted. One of our professors took the interview wiht a client, who was from the chemistry department.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in October 2014.

Interview

Over skype, friendly easy.. focused on my Cv. career interests in my specific field This was an easy process. I did not expect everything to fall in place easily. It did not, there were a lot of verifications required, but finally everything came through

Interview Questions

• Background, interest in the subject , future goals etc   1 Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview

There are two ways to get your feet in the door. Either doing a detailed research and contacting faculty members prior to officially submitting your application For that here's my suggestion. 1) Do your homework ahead of time and make a thorough research on different programs, colleges at which you would like to pursue a degree 2) Once you can be more specific about what you want to do, what kind of research interests you figure out the best faculty members that fits the field you would like to do research in 3) Make sure you update your CV (must be detailed, several pages for someone who has completed college, worked a job at least for a year or two) and look into sample cover letters to make sure to include why you are applying to specific program. It is crucial to link how your previous experience would make you a good fit to the program you are applying. Even if you don't have any experience in the field, be enthusiastic, original and show you know where the field is going, or at least show interest in doing research in the field (be sure to include reasons and justifications for that). It is not easy to write these letters so, that's why if you have any chance to attend conferences, workshops related to the field try to do that. At least use the internet effectively to get a better sense of why that field of research is important and how you see yourself contributing to the field once you are accepted to the program.

Interview Questions

• I met my adviser at an international conference, and prior to attending the conference I already knew he was going to be there and I was well prepared to introduce myself, hand out my CV and tell him why I was interested in joining his research group. Since it was not a formal interview, he liked my proactive approach and things went well (simply because he had a project he needed to find a graduate student to work on)   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is nothing to negotiate for graduate student offers. You just accept it. The salary is pretty much the same within US. Health insurance coverage might be different, but that's it.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Hiring was through informal talks with a professor

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Taking a class from the professor helps a long way in securing a research assistant position

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview

Hired through routine graduate program administration procedure - applied internationally to the graduate program and the graduate research assistant position with personal statement, resume, and reference letter before the deadline. 5 months later got an invitation letter, and the graduate research assistant position. It was a very regular graduate school application procedure.

Negotiation

No negotiation. Straightforward RA salary based on NIH guideline

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview

I contacted the professors one by one and arrange a time in their office. Then go through the application process. The interview is to make sure they need my skill and they want to suppose my PhD program.

Interview Questions

• There was no unexpected question, but the working load is much more than I expect.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Utah.

Interview

Heavily weighted by transcripts and letters of recommendation. Indications of past success are huge. Candidates with some previous graduate school experience have an advantage.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to work on?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Virtually no negotiation. Not much flexibility in what students can haggle.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2013.

Interview

They asked me a lot of questions regarding the projects i did during my undergraduate.