University of Victoria Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Victoria Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.8

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Victoria.

Interview

This was for a summer hire at the English Language Centre (ELC). Just a 3-4 week contract, only mornings. I was told to arrive 20 minutes before the interview, and was handed a piece of paper that said I had to come up with a lesson plan for one of two options: one was present perfect, one was conditionals, for a certain group of students and a certain level of English. I was told to prepare for a scenario so I wasn't expecting this exactly, which is why I'm sharing this to give others a heads up! (Maybe this is normal in the industry; I'm new to it)
    The first part of the interview was explaining how I would teach that lesson; not a demo, but explaining what you would do and why. Then they proceeded to questions. Some of the questions were quite wordy so I struggled to keep it straight what I was being asked (was also very nervous).
    The interviewers were pleasant or even kind. There were three of them, including a head teacher, director and associate director.

Interview Questions

• How do you see your training and experience matching up with the programs that the ELC offers?   Answer Question
    • How do you reflect on your teaching experience and growth?   Answer Question
    • How do you stay current on what's happening in ESL research?   Answer Question
    • What are some challenges of teaching a mono-cultural class and a diverse class?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Victoria (Victoria, BC (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Panel interview with one external and three internal, oral questions took about 40 minutes and written question about 20 minutes. The panelists wrote down my answers while I talked. There was some eye contact. HR was not involved in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you are the best candidate for this job   Answer Question

Academic Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Victoria.

Interview

Fair and balanced; standard behavioural and situational interview questions. Interview was approximately one hour in length and included a brief (10-minute) presentation on current trends in advising practices and how, as an applicant, my values align with those of the department and how past experiences can inform my practice as an advisor.

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to counselling a student who is experiencing personal or emotional distress during an appointment.   Answer Question

Assistant of the Writing Centre Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Victoria (Victoria, BC (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with two of the specialists for twenty minutes. They were very friendly and had their question ready. I was asked about my experience in the field and then I was given different scenarios and situations that could happen while I was working. I was expected to describe my reaction to each of these situations. they also asked if I had any new ideas or suggestions as to improve the centre. I think being creative about my answers to this question was very helpful in getting the job. After the interview I got an mail with a job offer. after a week of paid training I was set to officially start the job.

Interview Questions

• How much experience I have and what I would do in stressful situations?   Answer Question

House Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Victoria (Victoria, BC (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online through the UVic jobs website, and was sent an email saying an interview would be scheduled shortly. The interview took place on campus in the residence services office. It was a very friendly environment. A tucked in polo shirt or button up should be fine for attire, the office was not wearing formal clothes by any means.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you've had to work in a team environment.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Victoria (Victoria, BC (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

Skype interview process + in-person; usually interviews are scheduled by program director or dean. A lot of interview questions focusing on academic backgrounds such has strength and weakness, what is your long term goal and why you choose this program etc. References need to be provided once you applied for admission and good references will be really helpful.

Interview Questions

• common questions like background, careers, interests   1 Answer

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Victoria.

Interview

The job assignment was a part of my master's program application.

Alumni Relations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Victoria.

Interview

I found the position on UVic's UHire job board. Unfortunately the platform is terribly outdated and it was a laborious process to submit my CV. A week or two after the closing date I received a call saying I'd been shortlisted for an interview. The interview was very formal: a panel comprised of 3 people from various departments interviewed me for about 30 minutes. Following that I completed a written skills test. Everyone I spoke to was courteous.

Interview Questions

• To be honest, the questions were very standard and boring; even the people asking them looked bored. The most difficult part was trying to inject some personality and creativity into my answers while still being professional.   Answer Question

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Victoria (Victoria, BC (Canada)) in December 2013.

Interview

Full day interview with panel. Presentation required. Multiple meetings with staff and administrators and lunch meeting. Interview lasted for 90 minutes and was followed by informal session with colleagues.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher salary.

Seasonal Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Victoria (Victoria, BC (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

meeting with a prof who had taught the class before, meeting with the departmental secretary. I had to prepare some sample lesson plans and talk about my teaching experience a bit.