University of Virginia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Virginia Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2017

2.4

Sales Executive Interview

Interview

I emailed the manager in order to get the interview. We then set up a time for me to come in and interview in person. By the end of the interview, he hired me on the spot! I was then given further information on when the training would be.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

The hardest part of getting hired at UVA is getting past the application process to get an interview. They are the largest employer citywide and everyone wants to work there. I actually got my foot in the door by speaking with a recruiter at a job fair and applying for jobs with UVATemps. UVA has its own Temp division. I dressed professionally for the job fair and treated it as an interview.
    I got a call back a few weeks later about the job. HR had to verify my past employment and spoke with all of my references. I went to the HR office and filled out paperwork and spoke with a different HR rep about the position. I was then able to interview with the hiring manager.
    The interview with the hiring manager was really brief and consisted primarily of her telling me about the position. The job is in the Health System (UVA has a teaching hospital) and I believe she was quite busy and just wanted to make sure I was a dependable intelligent person before signing off on the hiring. This is for a four month position- not a permanent one. I answered a few questions about how my past work experience provided me the skill to complete the job and that was about it. I can't remember if we walked through the office and met people that day or not.
    I got a call later that they wanted me to start right away so I did.

Interview Questions

• It was more of her describing the work to me, and my saying "Oh, that's like XYZ that I did at my old job" than asking questions.   Answer Question

Zone Maintenance Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview, in person panel interview. Job description was not the same at the interview as only about 2 paragraphs were available to outside of the CAMPUS (not grounds) applicants. That was an unfair hiring practice as I'm quite sure 'the inside' people got that information previously. There was no reason to make people wait seven weeks for information about being hired. I had two other job opportunities that I put on hold while waiting to never hear back. Extremely poor communication which I' sure is why they are creating this particular position. I only found out that I wasn't hired because I wrote/emailed the HR staff directly which magically got the hiring person to send an email within hours...go figure. As many have stated the pay scale is absolutely awful, but I was willing to give-up a massive amount just for the luxury of working for UVA. Not now, it's totally not worth it. The facilities management department is a 'good-old-boys' club that you need to know someone to get your foot in the door.

Interview Questions

• One of the pressure cooker (meant with sarcasm) questions they came up with was: "how do you know when a job is complete?"   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Virginia.

Interview

Applied online and by sending email. The job was more or less within the area of my expertise. Exchanged a couple of emails with my employer at the beginning describing my skills. Gave the interview through Video Conference. There was no other screening. The HR was pretty efficient in the post-interview process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Virginia.

Interview

Skype interview, followed by an in-person interview with a panel from the office. The in-person interview included a 5 to 10 minute presentation about a topic of my choosing. It wasn't too intimidating of an environment, rather a group of people who are looking for you to succeed. I think by the time you get to this point, you're an application they are excited and hopeful about.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with difficult professional challenges, public speaking, multitasking, and travel.   Answer Question

Assistant Dean of Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

Interview process was a two day multiple user group with presentation to the search committee. Overall the groups asked stock questions for the position and was not a very personal engaging event. They interviewed me then reposted the job internally and gave the job to someone on the interview search committee panel.

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied to a link from craigslist.com. I was called in for an interview that lasted approximately 40 minutes. I was called that afternoon and offered the position. I started the position the following week. It was a simple and easy process for me.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my past experience in an office setting   1 Answer

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA).

Interview

Applied online shortly after seeing the position posted on their job board. I was interviewed about three weeks later. Still waiting to hear.
    Met with two people - very standard questions. The interview was a half hour long and the next interviewee was waiting when I came out.

Lab Technician Interview

Application

Interview

I met with three people and HR. Formal process with very standard interview questions. They were friendly but the 2 interviewers interchangeably asking questions made me nervous. Drug screening and shots required. Personality profiling and "If then" situation questions required as well.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview for a temporary position assisting a director. He was very welcoming and interested in seeing if I was a match for their needs. There were some differences in what they needed and my skills but they were willing to try me out. It took about 25 minutes and was very positive.

Interview Questions

• What is your background with Oracle?   1 Answer