University of Washington Research Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 20, 2017

2.6

Research Scientist/Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Washington (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

The professor contacted me via email and requested that I use an online survey to pick a day and hour when the interview would take place. She also requested a CV and list of references to be sent to her at least 24 hours before the interview. The interview took place over Skype. We talked over webcam about how much and what kind of lab experience I had. The conversation lasted about a half-hour.

Research Scientist Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Washington in June 2015.

Interview

Well, I was called I'm for an interview after I submitted my application on UW hires. I believed the interview went well and they promised to call me back in about a week but I never heard from them again.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Washington (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview with group of scientists and most questions about work experience and skills. They mentioned about ongoing and future projects. It lasted approximately 2 hours and I got an offer after 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Projects which I was involved in   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview

Found this job through a person in common working there before.
    I had the experience to this job but it was much more simple of what I was doing before. It took me months to decide and take the job since I was trying to find a better option. Times are difficult and I had to take it or live on unemployment...
    Several meetings with the boss until deciding to take the job

Interview Questions

• do you want this job? (it was a little bit down sizing to my expertise)   Answer Question

Research Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Washington (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

One on two meeting with the P.I. and their collaborator. Met at a roundtable in an informal setting and basically had a conversation with the two of them about my experience.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a problem you've encountered in your research and how you addressed it?   1 Answer

Research Scientist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Washington.

Interview

Phone interview with PI, then a face to face with PI and lead research scientist.

Interview Questions

• No behavioral question, only interest and prior experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Research Scientist IV Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Washington (Seattle, WA) in August 2012.

Interview

Because of the nature of academic research, the interview process was somewhat informal. I was asked for my qualifications, resume and so forth. However, a formal interview came with the director of the lab I wanted to work for and an informal conversation with the corresponding department administration that the lab was a part of.

Interview Questions

• What were my exact skill sets for the particular type of experiments they wanted me to pursue, or research?   Answer Question

Research Scientist/Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Washington (Seattle, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

The phone interview was friendly and very quick. I was asked a few questions about my experience and my future career goals for the next few years. I was told that 50+ people had applied for the job, and that 6 were getting phone interviews, and 2 from those were getting in person interviews. From our interactions, it seemed that the PI already had someone else in mind.

Research Scientist/Engineer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Washington (Seattle, WA) in June 2011.

Interview

I interviewed with the PI and lab manager as well as the researcher I would be working directly with. It was a very low, key friendly experience. I was mostly asked questions that had me describe my work personality, problem solving skills, and past experiences. There were any surprise or tough questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience working in a lab.   1 Answer

Research Scientist/Engineer III (Data Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Washington (Seattle, WA) in November 2009.

Interview

I applied online, and received an email within two days. I spoke briefly on the phone with the biostatistician who was reviewing resumes. We went back and forth in email but I had a phone interview within a week (unusually fast for the University). The phone interview consisted partly of a description of the research study whose data quality was being checked (QC was a big part of this job) and the reporting, analysis, etc. necessary. The questions I answered had to do with why I was leaving my current position, what I had done with the relevant software (SAS), and so forth.

The next step was a skills test - ten SAS programming problems. Many were easy, some were at a fairly high skill level, but since I completed it on my own time, over a weekend, with full access to documentation, it was not a problem. I also sent the biostatistician sample code and process documents.

Within a week I heard back and was invited for an in-person interview - but first, there was a lengthy email discussion about salary (since I was a current employee of the University, my salary was posted with other state employees, and he was able to determine I was earning much more than the position was budgeted for. We were both still interested, so the in-person interview was scheduled.

I met with two other data managers (the position was advertised as "Data Manager" but the University classification was "Research Scientist/ Engineer III"), the biostatistician, and the principal investigator for the research project. It was an illuminating discussion; by the end it was clear (to me, at least) that the job would be better filled by someone who had a few years of SAS under her/ his belt rather than someone with database / project management experience (who would probably rock the boat).

I stayed at my current job. All in all, the experience was very positive - lots of mutual respect even though the fit wasn't right.

Interview Questions

• Would you be comfortable just being a programmer?   1 Answer
    • Are you comfortable with this level of pay cut?   1 Answer