University of Waterloo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 27, 2017

2.4

Residence Life Don Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online through LEADS and heard back from them within a week. The interviews consisted of two parts: a carousel-style interview (individual) and group work. During the carousel-style interview, you go around to the various tables where someone will ask you one question. You have a certain amount of time to answer the questions. The group component was to see how well you work with other individuals when planning events.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were "Tell me a time when you..." They want you to talk about your past experiences and how it relates to being a Don   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

Thorough and concise. 99% of technical questions, mostly aptitude based ones.
    Was given hints in case of trick questions, often found them helpful.
    Also, I felt it best to admit my lack of expertise in answering one of the questions, the interviewer totally moved on and didn't dwell on it.

Interview Questions

• What do you hope to accomplish as a graduate student?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

There was a panel interview with three interviewers which I had over Skype for an hour since I was out-of-province. The staff were very approachable, friendly, and easy to speak with.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process is standard. There are lot of questions related to the position you applied to but they are fairly easy and there are no trick questions. There are also scenario questions, the tip is to use real life examples, they are the best. The interview is usually one on one since it is a junior position and he or she is most likely your future supervisor if you get the job. It feels like a conversation.

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I applied for the position of Project Assistant. I got the interview call in 3 days. During the interview I got the impression that I will be given this task.

Interview Questions

• Just basic question, hobbies, extra curricular activites   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Waterloo in December 2015.

Interview

Contacted by professor after applying for masters degree, was interviewed over the phone, received offer shortly afterwards, went over my CV and general background, discussed projects and then was asked a few networks questions

The idea for university graduate admissions is to try and reach out to professors with matching interests and look for a project for which they may fund you, generally if you have a solid background and a matching project, it is likely you will be selected

Interview Questions

• Describe the differences between DCTCP vs TCP? What is the network stack?   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

I was contacted through email for an in-person interview. Interviewed by a peer and the person I would be reporting to. Interview was very stiff, questions read off of a sheet, so no matter what the answer the next question was already set. It made for a very awkward interview with a lot of repetition. No natural or lead opportunity to discuss what I could offer outside of their questionnaire, so they were looking for a candidate who was more of a box checker, very inside-the-lines for a marketing position. The interview ended with a 20 minute essay style test on a computer that didn't have a functioning keyboard. The whole thing was pretty awkward. I followed up afterwards to thank them and didn't get a response, and then followed up after not hearing from them for 3 weeks to ask for an update. The response was "hi, this position's been filled, thanks." Which felt thoughtless and unprofessional, but kept to the tone of the interview. People seemed nice enough, maybe a little dry and process driven. I did not receive an offer, and although I would have taken the role as something for the meantime, I would have left as soon as something more interesting came along so I'll concede that it wasn't a fit and I ain't mad.

Prepare yourself for a similar interview by googling "interview questions" and there won't be any surprises.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions like, name your 3 best qualities and why?   Answer Question

Customer Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I interviewed for the RCSG team and the interview process was fairly relaxed. The manager just had a short casual conversation, talked about university and how long he has been there. He asked if I have OSAP and he pretty much okayed me on the spot.

Undergrad TA Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Waterloo.

Interview

Work study position, applied for through online system and when granted, met with Department Head. I was in a small program, so prof knew me well and knew my work ethic and abilities.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Very informal discussions with doctoral supervisor to continue research and finish publications. It was a very brief interview to determine what additional responsibilities could be added to previous tasks done during degree completion.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little negotiation. All details were limited by university procedures and available funding.