University of Wisconsin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Wisconsin Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2017

3.2

Biostatistican I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin in April 2017.

Interview

The job I interviewed for was with the Medical College, specifically research with the CIBMTR. This was the first round of interviews - just a quick 15 minute chat on the phone. The woman interviewing me was nice and asked me around 10 questions - all very standard interview questions, nothing really technical or specific to the job.

Interview Questions

• Strengths, weaknesses, what is your management style, where do you see yourself in 5 years, etc.   Answer Question

Academic Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin.

Interview

Phone Screen with 3 people; only 1 asked questions. Many questions were about my ability to do the job; they were definitely asking questions from a pre-written list. The hiring process seemed like they were handicapped by human resources and the position has been empty for quite some time due to that.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position and how can you contribute to this department?   Answer Question

Research Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for a Skype interview a few days later. It was a panel interview and they rotated around the table who was asking questions. About 5 minutes before the interview, they sent me a list of the questions they were going to ask so I could look it over.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin.

Interview

I was required to prepare a two-page maximum cover letter in response as to how my experiences met each minimum qualification and submitted my resume in addition to a standard online job seeking account. I was contacted a month later that I was selected for an interview and was asked for my availability on a given day. The interview was with 4 members, one the direct boss I would have been working under, a lady from the offices in Madison, an AmeriCorps Vista member, and the co-department head. The interview was over Skype where I was projected on a screen in front of them.

Interview Questions

• There were multiple questions regarding my experience educating youth, of which my experience is limited, making those questions difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Housing Tutor Interview

Interview

Easy online application. Received an email for the interview. Three people interviewing- 2 current tutors and 1 other housing employee. Asked general question on why you'd be good for the job, etc. Then there was a portion where they gave you three questions in your field and had you explain how to do each problem.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in November 2011.

Interview

The panel interview was as expected for University of Wisconsin - a "round up" of employees available to serve, some of which have no concept of what would (or wouldn't) make an applicant successful in the position. I was surprised however, with such a large institution, of some of the comments made during the process. Although I am no HR expert, they seem to have bordered on the illegal.
    I earned one of two finalist spots and when I finally met with the ultimate hiring manager, he couldn't be bothered talking to me. Mostly spoke about himself and then cut us off at the half hour mark. It was apparent that the hiring decision was made prior to my interview and he was just going through the motions. It was disappointing that I took time off of work (two separate days, over two hours) to go through the interview process when, prepared my references, completed a background check, come to find out, the job went to an internal candidate that was earmarked from the beginning (based on a reliable internal source). The processes and procedures of University of Wisconsin require the protocol of a search and screen committee and panel interview. Although I feel I was the more qualified applicant, I regret I was simply used as a requirement fulfillment for this department to hire the person they had in mind from the beginning. My advice to future applicants is to verify if there is an internal applicant applying for the same position you are considering. If there is, I would suggest withdrawing your application as I have seen this very thing happen again and again at UW. It is a flaw in the system that unfortunately I fell victim to.

Interview Questions

• How good of writer are you?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in October 2010.

Interview

It first started with tough examination. The exam has fore sections and most of the people only managed to finished 2 sections. After that is a nice, inform section, going through the history of the company, the future they have. Most important, the hiring positions they have.

Dining Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshkosh, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Oshkosh, WI) in January 2009.

Interview

Phone interview

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest failure?   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a time when you failed to complete a project or task on time, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Service Desk Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin in September 2011.

Interview

Quick and easy interview with basic situational questions asked. The interviewers were a bit unproffesional, but otherwise it was fairly friendly.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your co-worker was doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Career Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin in July 2011.

Interview

They first interviewed my references. Each of my references were interviewed by phone for at least one hour. It is their process to filter candidates out this way but I felt it was a burden on my references, though I understand-as they don't want to waste time with candidates and poor references. I was accepted as one of the finalists and invited onto campus. It was a wonderful interview, lots of joking and serious conversation about the future possibilities of the department. In all, it took three hours. I was sure I was going to get an offer but was rejected. The reason I am a little sour from the experience is that they hired internally-sort of. Departments were merging and the director hired someone they had worked with before. Looking back, the director was the least interested in me throughout the interview. Others on the panel spoke of me having the best references and work experience than others who had applied for the position.