University of Wisconsin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.7

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in February 2012.

Interview

go through resume, why you apply for chemistry library, what you want to get from this position

Interview Questions

Negotiation

flexibility of work time

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in November 2011.

Interview

The panel interview was as expected for University of Wisconsin - a "round up" of employees available to serve, some of which have no concept of what would (or wouldn't) make an applicant successful in the position. I was surprised however, with such a large institution, of some of the comments made during the process. Although I am no HR expert, they seem to have bordered on the illegal.
    I earned one of two finalist spots and when I finally met with the ultimate hiring manager, he couldn't be bothered talking to me. Mostly spoke about himself and then cut us off at the half hour mark. It was apparent that the hiring decision was made prior to my interview and he was just going through the motions. It was disappointing that I took time off of work (two separate days, over two hours) to go through the interview process when, prepared my references, completed a background check, come to find out, the job went to an internal candidate that was earmarked from the beginning (based on a reliable internal source). The processes and procedures of University of Wisconsin require the protocol of a search and screen committee and panel interview. Although I feel I was the more qualified applicant, I regret I was simply used as a requirement fulfillment for this department to hire the person they had in mind from the beginning. My advice to future applicants is to verify if there is an internal applicant applying for the same position you are considering. If there is, I would suggest withdrawing your application as I have seen this very thing happen again and again at UW. It is a flaw in the system that unfortunately I fell victim to.

Interview Questions

• How good of writer are you?   1 Answer

Computer Lab Assistance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Stevens Point, WI) in November 2011.

Interview

The interview focus on customer services rather than tech knowledge. You will be interviewed by the manager or student coordinators. Interview questions are scenario based. After you answered the questions, they will actually tell you the polity and rule for handling the situations. If you have a good attitude to learn and service, you will get hired.

Interview Questions

• What will you do if a student is talking on phone in the lab?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in October 2011.

Interview

usual interview for postdoctoral position, day on campus plus presentation about previous work, i had an impression that guy expected me to turn down the offer

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no salary negation, although i asked for H1B visa instead of J1

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in September 2011.

Interview

I knew a UW athlete, who recommended I tutor part time when I needed a job. The process was pretty simple, and I started a few weeks later. Other than a single compliance meeting, there were no steps between the interview and working.

Interview Questions

• There were no particularly hard questions; they just wanted to know how you would go about tutoring an athlete. The interview didn't last more than a half hour.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in June 2011.

Interview

Stepped in and asked if they were hiring, she gave me an interview that week. The questions were basic - what are my strengths, what are my weaknesses. How do I deal with difficult situations.

Senior Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in May 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview which was fairly general in nature. This was followed by an in person interview which lasted the better part of 4 hours. The University is large and each hiring entity will have there own style as it pertains to interviewing. I have found that interviews for laboratory positions are rather laid back and less formal.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I could leverage my skills to meet the needs of the lab.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee, WI) in February 2011.

Interview

Interview process was very quick.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They made an offer.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Atlanta, GA) in February 2011.

Interview

I found the job description on the internet and applied for the job. I had an interview and on campus visit. I had to present my job market paper during the campus visit. It went all well. I liked the campus and the faculty. They showed me around the campus and I heard about the benefits from the Human Resources. We went out for lunches and dinners. It was great and I had a good time. They called me a week after the campus visit.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin (Madison, WI) in October 2010.

Interview

It first started with tough examination. The exam has fore sections and most of the people only managed to finished 2 sections. After that is a nice, inform section, going through the history of the company, the future they have. Most important, the hiring positions they have.