University of Wisconsin-Madison Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Wisconsin-Madison Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.5

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

The professor met with me and asked my previous research experience. After that, he explained what projects he had and then asked me which one I was more interested.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of Wisconsin-Madison

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI).

Interview

Interview process depends on the kind of research assistantship (RA) you are applying for. I have done RA for Epic Systems, which is more software development, as well as RA for my advisor which is more research based.

Interview Questions

• Good with coding skills, writing skills, understanding legacy code.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online to the graduate school, whereas I was in contact with several professors. Once I got accepted I e-mailed the professors of my interest and we got in into the interview process, which was semi formal and relaxing skype interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the research   1 Answer

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Pretty smooth. Our department is small. It's hard to get funding for a PhD Student. We don't have undergraduates, so no TA position available. Sometimes we need to look for fundings from another department.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI).

Interview

Contacted PI directly to determine if they had a position open and had funding. Submitted application after verifying funding. Visited the campus and lab before accepting the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, set rates for graduate assistants.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Interview was scheduled which was not much of an interview in fact.It was to know what kind of work has been done by me in the past and it is upto you to convince the interviewer that you are good enough for the position.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions during the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in December 2012.

Interview

I got call from professor who was asking about my past research experience, background and why I had interest in applying for his team and what I was willing to do if I came over

Interview Questions

• past research experience
      what research you have done
      relation to professor's potential research area
      why you have an interest in applying
      no technical question   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate about anything!

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in August 2011.

Interview

The professor sent out emails and I replied with my cv. We sent up a meeting by email and meet in person the same week. Talked happily for an hour and received the offer the next day by email.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in April 2011.

Interview

Open house interview. First someone will introduce the whole process of the interview. Different groups will introduce their research. Then the student will go to different office to meet their potential adviser. Different professors have very different questions. Then the student representatives will hang out with students for dinner. They will give feedback to adviser how they think about individual students

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in March 2011.

Interview

Spoke for 20 minutes and got the position. I emailed to get the appointment. Then explained my background and experience. I showed my resume and transcript and talked about the project.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked with your hand before (experimental). ...   1 Answer