University of Wisconsin-Madison Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 23, 2017

2.5

Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in November 2014.

Interview

Two interviews, one conducted by phone with a short presentation up front and the other a day long event with multiple interviews and presentation required. The first was an interview with a search committee with the second set of interviews including a broad range of constituent groups. I felt the process was intense and really forced me to put on my best performance. In hindsight, the day really prepared me for the rigor and diverse issues I encounter in the position today.

Interview Questions

• What are the most important issues you will deal with in this position?   1 Answer

Senior IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in January 2016.

Interview

First interview was a phone panel interview with hiring director and two PMs. The second interview I was given a scenario in which I had to present how I would handle the situation to an audience of approximately 25 IT employees. Presentation was 15 minutes and there were many good questions which took another 15 minutes. Final interview was scheduled with VP however the process took so long I ended up taking a position with a different company.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflict with a team member who does not report to you?   Answer Question

Peer Advisor, Academic Advising Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in March 2013.

Interview

Part one: 4-5 candidates were interviewed simultaneously, overseen by their future supervisor. Self-reflections were hand-written by each candidate. All were divided into two groups to focus on critical thinking exercises with possible scenarios they would face should they be offered the position.
    Part two: Individual candidates were interviewed by approximately 5 staff members of advising services, each of whom asked questions in quick succession.
    Part three: Individual candidates were interviewed by their future supervisor, who asked them final questions.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in July 2015.

Interview

Three stages, extremely and unnecessarily long. Required panel interview, large group presentation, one-on-one interview, phone interview, presentation submission, large group Q&A. Interview questions were redundant and each stakeholder group was looking for something different which was not obvious and often conflicted with each group, so really depended on who the decision makers were (actual decision makers) and whose feedback would garner the most weight, which was not readily made available.

Interview Questions

• How would you work with a varied audience with many differing perspectives? What is your 'vision' in this position? What is your management style? What is your project management experience? What is your experience in developing learning programs?   Answer Question

Director Level Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in October 2011.

Interview

Search committee hell. Had to do an extensive application, along with the usual cover letter and resume, before having a phone screen and then an all-day interview with various people in various configurations.

Interview Questions

• How I had handled difficult situations in the past.   1 Answer

Security Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Interview

It is a long process, but it is a police department and want to know who they are hiring. Sometimes it does take them a while to make a decision. Most people do not make it through the background check because they are not honest about their past.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your Ahha Momnet.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They tell you up front what you will be paid. No negotiation.

Senior Student Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in January 2013.

Interview

a 2-stage interview process including a phone interview, and a 1/2 day in-person interview. The 1/2 day in-person interview involves a 1 hour Q&A with a search and screen committee, a 1 hour presentation, a written assignment (i.e., demonstrate how you would respond to a series of emails), and a 1 hour interview with the director or an asst director.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a couple examples of how you have persuaded others to go along with a project or initiative.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was not open for negotiation.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Interview

I was emailed by the head of the group and had 2-3 rounds of interviews with various stakeholders. The paperwork took over 5 months to put in place before I could start working. This is typical for academic settings.

Interview Questions

• They described the position and assessed if I would be able to handle a brand new job description.   Answer Question

Associate Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in September 2013.

Interview

After submitting my resume and cover letter to the university, I was contacted by the PI to come meet them for an interview. The interview involved two PIs, two staff scientists and a technician, during which they were all very nice. They asked me about my relevant experience, my skills, and what kind of environment I would like to work in. They asked me specific questions about the research that they were conducting in order to get a sense of how much I knew about the job. After the interview, I received an email asking to summarize two of their recent publications in order to demonstrate that I understood what they were doing. After I submitted my write-up, it took less than a week for them to respond that I'd been hired

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview with hiring manager and HR. This was a prescreen call and only lasted 15-20 minutes. There were many options to select a time that was available with the interviewers which was helpful.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what you know about the Memorial Union (job was for Finance Role at Memorial Union)   Answer Question