University of Wisconsin-Madison Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of Wisconsin-Madison Interview Questions

Updated Dec 5, 2017

2.5

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Interview

Although the interview process in UW is a bit slow, it was thorough. The process included a presentation with a large group, followed by interviews with specific groups (i.e. academic support group, leadership team, colleagues)

Interview Questions

• Where is this program headed? What ideas do you have for improving the opportunities in this program?   Answer Question

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and 2 weeks later was invited to participate in a phone interview with 4 university staff and faculty members. 2 weeks after the phone interview, I was invited to campus for an in-person interview. I was emailed instructions in advance to design a communications strategy presentation that I'd have to deliver to 15+ department members. The entire interview lasted 3 hours: interview with 4 staff members, presentation to department and interview with department directors. Overall, this interview was a negative experience for me due to the long interview process and the fact that candidates were asked to design an entire communications strategy to present to a large group. Designing a customized strategy takes time, effort and skill - something that I get paid to do in my every day profession was provided free of charge to this department. Frankly, I do not like consulting with a group that is going to most likely take those innovative ideas and concepts that I shared with them to better their operations, but not hire me for the role. After the campus interview, it took the director 3 weeks to let me know in an email that he is "sorry to bring bad news, but they selected someone else for the position". I just find it disappointing that candidates are expected to bring their "A" game to an interview that is 3 hours long - just to be rejected 3 weeks later. It would be a little better if you could deliver a decision in a week or two weeks tops given the level of effort you expect from the candidates.

Interview Questions

• The panelists asked long, behavioral questions with 2, sometimes 3 parts to the question - making it a somewhat difficult to stay on track with a thoughtful response.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in January 2013.

Interview

Attended a course with the professor. Took an independent study course the next semester. Did well in both then got offered a research assistantship for the remaining part of my program.

IS Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview as really technical. They asked a lot of technical questions. The interview can be difficult if you are not on top of your game. If you answer all the questions corectly and gave good exemple, you should be ok.

Interview Questions

• To talk about a difficult customer I have dault with. The interview was really technical. They asked a lot of technical questions. I was screening by the whole interview panel and interview by the same people.   1 Answer

Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in November 2014.

Interview

Two interviews, one conducted by phone with a short presentation up front and the other a day long event with multiple interviews and presentation required. The first was an interview with a search committee with the second set of interviews including a broad range of constituent groups. I felt the process was intense and really forced me to put on my best performance. In hindsight, the day really prepared me for the rigor and diverse issues I encounter in the position today.

Interview Questions

• What are the most important issues you will deal with in this position?   1 Answer

Senior IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in January 2016.

Interview

First interview was a phone panel interview with hiring director and two PMs. The second interview I was given a scenario in which I had to present how I would handle the situation to an audience of approximately 25 IT employees. Presentation was 15 minutes and there were many good questions which took another 15 minutes. Final interview was scheduled with VP however the process took so long I ended up taking a position with a different company.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflict with a team member who does not report to you?   Answer Question

Peer Advisor, Academic Advising Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in March 2013.

Interview

Part one: 4-5 candidates were interviewed simultaneously, overseen by their future supervisor. Self-reflections were hand-written by each candidate. All were divided into two groups to focus on critical thinking exercises with possible scenarios they would face should they be offered the position.
    Part two: Individual candidates were interviewed by approximately 5 staff members of advising services, each of whom asked questions in quick succession.
    Part three: Individual candidates were interviewed by their future supervisor, who asked them final questions.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in July 2015.

Interview

Three stages, extremely and unnecessarily long. Required panel interview, large group presentation, one-on-one interview, phone interview, presentation submission, large group Q&A. Interview questions were redundant and each stakeholder group was looking for something different which was not obvious and often conflicted with each group, so really depended on who the decision makers were (actual decision makers) and whose feedback would garner the most weight, which was not readily made available.

Interview Questions

• How would you work with a varied audience with many differing perspectives? What is your 'vision' in this position? What is your management style? What is your project management experience? What is your experience in developing learning programs?   Answer Question

Director Level Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI) in October 2011.

Interview

Search committee hell. Had to do an extensive application, along with the usual cover letter and resume, before having a phone screen and then an all-day interview with various people in various configurations.

Interview Questions

• How I had handled difficult situations in the past.   1 Answer

Security Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Interview

It is a long process, but it is a police department and want to know who they are hiring. Sometimes it does take them a while to make a decision. Most people do not make it through the background check because they are not honest about their past.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your Ahha Momnet.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They tell you up front what you will be paid. No negotiation.