University of York Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of York Interview Questions

Updated Dec 28, 2017

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of York (York, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

A panel of three technical officers asking questions about experience with film and television equipment, and hypothetical scenarios. The interview was for the most part fairly casual, there was no need to dress up in formal attire.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a student delivers a broken piece of equipment?   1 Answer

MChem Year In Industry Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of York (York, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

was heavily technical based, few competency question, such as hobbies and interests. Taken into a room with a professor or doctor who described what the degree entailed. Basic AS/A2 chemistry required

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of York (York, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online responding to a job advertisement. The interview was arranged over Skype because I was based overseas at the time.
    It began with a brief presentation (10 mins) of some of my current research, followed by an interview with a panel of 3 people, one of whom I had met previously in person.
    I also had to send them some computer code I had written and they looked at that during the interview.
    I felt I did very well with the presentation but then rambled somewhat with the interview. I felt confident and even cracked a few jokes. I think despite the rambling I did ok.
    I was probably offered the job more off the strength of my CV, background and referees rather than the interview itself.

Interview Questions

• Where I saw myself in 5-10 years.
      Interpersonal difficulties I've experienced at work and how I dealt with them.
      Initiative shown when running projects/experiments   1 Answer

Part Time Administrator Interview

Interview

This was a job share role, for a part-time job in a STEM department. As I do freelance work as a science writer, I thought this would be very interesting. The interview process began when the woman who I was sharing the role with came to meet me in the reception area and took me for a walk around the building. When she showed me the library, I explained about my interest in science, but she didn't seem to care. I asked her what she did in her role, to show my interest in the duties of the position; she looked at me like I was crazy and said, "I'm an administrator." The actual interview was a panel interview, with three people on the panel: one was my potential manager, one was an HR person, and I forget who the third person was.

Interview Questions

• It was a long time ago, so I don't remember the exact question, but I was asked what I would do in a situation if my manger was away - I vaguely remember something to do with someone not being able to attend an event.   1 Answer

Business Development Assopciate Interview

Anonymous Employee in York, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of York (York, England (UK)) in December 2012.

Interview

The interview process comprised a 30 minute presentation on the delivery of the key accountabilities for the job role to a panel of 4 interviewers, followed by specific questions relating to the presentation and skills relevant to the role.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous experience relevant to this job.   Answer Question

Part-Time Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of York.

Interview

Obvious internal communication failure during hiring process. I was hired with after submitting a CV that shows 20+ years of office experience, including managing an office by myself.

At the interview, when I was asked how I would handle particular problems that occurred when she was not available, the interviewer appeared shocked when I revealed that I knew how to handle them myself without asking for help, and that I would consider how to deal with problems on a case by case basis. I would be a pretty pathetic worker if after 20+ years of employment (as indicated on a 3-page CV!) I could not handle difficult situations on my own or make my own decisions.

It appeared that they were looking for a young, recent graduate with only a small amount of work experience and little self confidence, and that my prospective employer did not appreciate the benefit of having someone who could take care of things independently so she could get on with her important work - and possibly get promoted herself.,

The interview itself consisted of a tour around the building, a test on Microsoft Word and a panel interview.

I obviously did not get the job, but it is for the best as it seems from the above that I would have been dealing with an insecure manager.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you were not prepared for a task.   1 Answer