Urban Science Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Urban Science Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2017

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science (Long Beach, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to schedule a phone screening with the Senior Recruiter. The phone screening lasted about 40 minutes. Got asked a ton of questions about SQL and OOP. The questions were pretty basic, but there were a lot of them. Definitely need to know everything about SQL and OOP basics and really be able to fully explain them as well as provide examples. The interviewer seemed to really like me as a candidate, although this may have been fake and how she acts with all candidates, who knows. The interview took a dark turn when I was asked about my GPA. The tone completely shifted. However, I already got scheduled for an in-person interview the next day. The in-person interview lasted about an hour. I was interviewed by two developers on the team the position was for. Again, a ton of questions about SQL and OOP. There was even some white-boarding that involved SQL queries. I was also asked about my GPA once again.
    I received a rejection letter thru e-mail the very next day. In the end, I'm pretty sure the reason they didn't want to continue with me was because of my GPA. In my opinion, the interview went well, but who really knows. The pay they are offering is incredibly low for what the position is and what they're looking for, at $60k annually.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview

Condescending to say the least. Recruiter has high expectations and accuses candidates of reading from notes during phone interview (how do you know if they are just taking time to think like normal people or reading notes?). Regardless, horrible experience and going by employee reviews it probably is not a good environment to learn and grow either.

Interview Questions

• SQL queries, left join - right join, optimization, Object oriented programming, current work projects and ect...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Urban Science (Franklin, TN) in April 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed over the phone by a company recruiter (Laura). It was one of the best phone interviews I've ever experienced with a recruiter. Usually I just get the standard screening questions over the phone. Laura was personable and really knew what she was talking about regarding the Analyst position. She was also very positive about the company. It sure made me want to work for Urban Science. I am letting my network know about this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What application coding and testing functions did I use with the development of custom software -- and how successful was the result   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI).

Interview

They responded a few days after I applied, first phone interview was conducted the next week and my second phone interview the next day. They questions were relatively easy. Interviewer was pretty monotone so it was difficult to read how the interview was going on their end

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult obstacle you've faced in your past experiences?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Urban Science (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Phone screening made by a professional. She did a great screening of statistical skills even when she was an HR team member. During the interview she gave me advice on how to improve my chances and what would make my answer even better. After the interview she even sent me some links to reinforce some abilities I would need in that position and some recommendations on how to behave in an interview. I was really grateful on she handled my interview.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Urban Science (Herndon, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

3 rounds of interview and everyone was nice to talk to and friendly. There was a test on SQL but very unprofessionally hand written on the back of my resume. There was no feedback what so ever from the HR.

Interview Questions

• What type of database model does your current company use? Had to solve couple of handwritten SQL questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

**Their Process**

I met my Urban Science rep at a career fair on my university's campus. They emailed me to set up an onsite interview about a month after the career fair. At the onsite interview, I interviewed with 3 different teams. I was told the teams would bid on who they want, and I would interview with the managers of the teams that bid on me. Finally, I would receive offer(s) and decide which offer I wanted to accept, if any.

**My Experience**

I say all this constructively. Hopefully an Urban Science rep will read this review and refine their process.

The communication from Urban Science was very poor. The email requesting my first interview did not communicate the interview would be 4.5 hours and onsite in Detroit. I did not receive this information until they sent me a confirmation email which overlapped my requested time slots by several hours. I was also upset that they offered no compensation for travel.

The three interviews were extremely redundant. I was under the impression no one had looked at my resume until we were in the interview.

Furthermore, each team defines "analyst" differently. The legal team wanted someone who could make SQL calls, and the analytical services team wanted someone with some stats knowledge. The jobs are totally different, and I had no interest in the duties involved with 2 of the 3 teams. This should have been obvious from my initial contact with Urban Science.

Also, one of Urban Science's biggest criticisms is that the leaders are disconnected from the teams. When I asked about this culture problem, I was told, "Yeah, that's definitely a problem most teams face here," with very little belief that would change.

I had very little desire to work for Urban Science after this interview, but I hung on for the phone call with the manager. The analytical services team manager was a pleasure to talk to and I would love to work for him, however, Urban Science signaled too many red flags throughout the process.

A final word on the topic of poor communication: I never received follow up with an offer or rejection. This happened in spite of two phone calls (one unsolicited) promising I would hear back by December 1, and later, December 15.

Analyst/Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science (Woodcliff Lake, NJ) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and after about 2 weeks received an email to setup a phone screen with a HR recruiter. The phone screen went well; the recruiter was very nice. Afterwards the recruiter setup a panel interview another phone screen with my future team and Skype interview with the team. After a short phone screen with the manager a Skype interview was set up. During the Skype interview, they sent me a SQL test and puzzle question test. I am not sure I would have been a good cultural fit and didn't click with the interviewers so I withdrew my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• Questions along the lines of: conflict resolution, explaining technical info to a non-technical audience, why do you want this position, where do you see yourself in X years, how do you manage multiple deadlines, etc.

The SQL test was not hard. The logic test was 'confidential' so I wont post the questions. But the questions were not Fermi-type. They were standard puzzle questions, at least 3 I had previously come across in my puzzle books.
      Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview

The interview process was good. Ideally they want you to meet with 6 people. The person who set up the interview, an HR person and then 4 other people that primarily interview you. The HR person that I was supposed to meet with was out sick. I think the interview went well. They are a calm and relaxed environment.

Interview Questions

• What steps or processes would you take to take your current company to the next level?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Urban Science (Herndon, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call from recruiter. Recruiter asked technical questions. Asked a sample analytics question and how will i drill down information. Heavily stressed on SQL skills. I was called in office for a face to face interview. 2 people at a time interviewed me. Total 4. Questions were around management, projects, analytics. Intimidating questions were asked "if customer wants a report at 5 pm on friday, what will you do?". If it takes 3 hrs to run, what will you do? Do you expect me to sit over the weekend and run? Ridiculous. Funny part, interview ends with a SQL exercise again. Best part, i never hear back from them. Crickets!

Interview Questions

• How is your SQL skills?   Answer Question
    • If customer asks for a report at 5 pm on friday, how will you handle the deliverable?   1 Answer
    • Why did you leave the previous job?   1 Answer