Urban Science Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 9, 2017

2.9

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

There two rounds of interviews. I summited my resume online, then the recruiter reached out to me and schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was basically about my resume, talk about my projects and my previous experience, etc. The phone interview was pretty easy and the managers were really nice. After a week, they invited me to the on site interview in downtown Detroit. The on site interview took like an hour and half, and I had to interview two different groups in the development team. The onsite interview was pretty easy and they just asked basic behaviors question and some OOP concepts.

Interview Questions

• What is abstract method/abstract class/OOP/static member/static member function/public interface?
      What would you do if you had a conflict with your teammate and he/she is unwilling to communicate?
      What would you do if have a bug in your code?How long will you spend on it?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Urban Science (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Phone screening made by a professional. She did a great screening of statistical skills even when she was an HR team member. During the interview she gave me advice on how to improve my chances and what would make my answer even better. After the interview she even sent me some links to reinforce some abilities I would need in that position and some recommendations on how to behave in an interview. I was really grateful on she handled my interview.

Associate Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Met at career fair. Sent my resume and references in. Was contacted via email to setup a phone interview within a week. Phone interview was almost entirely technical questions. Following the phone interview, I was contacted within a week to come in for a f2f interview (a set of them, actually). There were 2 interviews each with 2 interviewers. The first was with a couple of senior devs, talked about my experience and asked a handful of technical questions. Types of SQL joins, what OOP is, what version control I have used in the past. Second panel asked more situational questions. Was contacted within 4 days with a verbal offer then a official offer that that week.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Urban Science (Herndon, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

3 rounds of interview and everyone was nice to talk to and friendly. There was a test on SQL but very unprofessionally hand written on the back of my resume. There was no feedback what so ever from the HR.

Interview Questions

• What type of database model does your current company use? Had to solve couple of handwritten SQL questions.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

**Their Process**

I met my Urban Science rep at a career fair on my university's campus. They emailed me to set up an onsite interview about a month after the career fair. At the onsite interview, I interviewed with 3 different teams. I was told the teams would bid on who they want, and I would interview with the managers of the teams that bid on me. Finally, I would receive offer(s) and decide which offer I wanted to accept, if any.

**My Experience**

I say all this constructively. Hopefully an Urban Science rep will read this review and refine their process.

The communication from Urban Science was very poor. The email requesting my first interview did not communicate the interview would be 4.5 hours and onsite in Detroit. I did not receive this information until they sent me a confirmation email which overlapped my requested time slots by several hours. I was also upset that they offered no compensation for travel.

The three interviews were extremely redundant. I was under the impression no one had looked at my resume until we were in the interview.

Furthermore, each team defines "analyst" differently. The legal team wanted someone who could make SQL calls, and the analytical services team wanted someone with some stats knowledge. The jobs are totally different, and I had no interest in the duties involved with 2 of the 3 teams. This should have been obvious from my initial contact with Urban Science.

Also, one of Urban Science's biggest criticisms is that the leaders are disconnected from the teams. When I asked about this culture problem, I was told, "Yeah, that's definitely a problem most teams face here," with very little belief that would change.

I had very little desire to work for Urban Science after this interview, but I hung on for the phone call with the manager. The analytical services team manager was a pleasure to talk to and I would love to work for him, however, Urban Science signaled too many red flags throughout the process.

A final word on the topic of poor communication: I never received follow up with an offer or rejection. This happened in spite of two phone calls (one unsolicited) promising I would hear back by December 1, and later, December 15.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Received initial phone call from recruiter about 10 days after applying. He asked the basic questions and explained the company and the role to me. A phone interview was setup with a development manager to dive into the technical details a little deeper. That was quickly followed by a request for an in person interview.

In person interview consisted of two groups of two managers. Took about an hour an a half. Beyond basic background questions, they pretty much stuck to situational questions: Failure you learned from?, how do you handle not enough resources/tight deadline?, etc.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you realize that your project is not on schedule?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science (Long Beach, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

This was the best interview experience I have had. Everyone I spoke to was extremely welcoming and knowledgeable, especially Laura, the recruiter. I applied for the position on LinkedIn, then she reached out to me and I had a few phone calls with her about the position and the company. She was very friendly but also very professional. I asked her a lot of questions and she gave me great insight into what the position would entail, what skills are needed, the company's history, etc. I did not live in the area so she accommodated me by allowing my interviews to be on the phone and through Skype. I interviewed with the recruiter, the team I would be working for, and then completed a short logic test. The whole process was very organized and only took a few weeks from start to finish. Laura also sent me some information about Long Beach and some resources for SQL, which I really appreciated. I ended up being offered a position and accepted, in part due to the great interview experience I had.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with SQL? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What skills do you have that you think will help you in this role? What are your interests?   Answer Question

Analyst/Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science (Woodcliff Lake, NJ) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and after about 2 weeks received an email to setup a phone screen with a HR recruiter. The phone screen went well; the recruiter was very nice. Afterwards the recruiter setup a panel interview another phone screen with my future team and Skype interview with the team. After a short phone screen with the manager a Skype interview was set up. During the Skype interview, they sent me a SQL test and puzzle question test. I am not sure I would have been a good cultural fit and didn't click with the interviewers so I withdrew my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• Questions along the lines of: conflict resolution, explaining technical info to a non-technical audience, why do you want this position, where do you see yourself in X years, how do you manage multiple deadlines, etc.

The SQL test was not hard. The logic test was 'confidential' so I wont post the questions. But the questions were not Fermi-type. They were standard puzzle questions, at least 3 I had previously come across in my puzzle books.   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview

The interview process was good. Ideally they want you to meet with 6 people. The person who set up the interview, an HR person and then 4 other people that primarily interview you. The HR person that I was supposed to meet with was out sick. I think the interview went well. They are a calm and relaxed environment.

Interview Questions

• What steps or processes would you take to take your current company to the next level?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Urban Science (Herndon, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call from recruiter. Recruiter asked technical questions. Asked a sample analytics question and how will i drill down information. Heavily stressed on SQL skills. I was called in office for a face to face interview. 2 people at a time interviewed me. Total 4. Questions were around management, projects, analytics. Intimidating questions were asked "if customer wants a report at 5 pm on friday, what will you do?". If it takes 3 hrs to run, what will you do? Do you expect me to sit over the weekend and run? Ridiculous. Funny part, interview ends with a SQL exercise again. Best part, i never hear back from them. Crickets!

Interview Questions

• How is your SQL skills?   Answer Question
    • If customer asks for a report at 5 pm on friday, how will you handle the deliverable?   1 Answer
    • Why did you leave the previous job?   1 Answer