VIPKID ESL Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 23, 2018

3.2

134 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

To be approved for your first mock class, you must have a bachelors degree and at least a year of teaching experience. You will go through a mock class, maybe two. Pass several quizzes after watching video demos. Also quizzes following PowerPoint slides.

Interview Questions

• Mock student will purposefully say sentences wrong.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for VIPKID

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Louisville, KY).

Interview

I completed a short online application. I was contacted via email the following day with next steps. I opted to record a demo. The demo was reviewed. I then completed a live, mock class with a mentor and was given feedback. I attended a workshop to get a little more acclimated and taught one more mock lesson. I was then offered a contract. I currently teach younger children.

Interview Questions

• What is your teaching experience.   1 Answer

Apr 16, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We feel privileged to have you!

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID.

Interview

Very detailed process. Not for the faint of heart and NOT for someone who is trying to get hired immediately. The entire process from application to contract signing was about 2-3 weeks. There are different stages of interviews one must pass to move on.
    It requires a lot of tenacity and study. I almost got burnt out of the job before I was even hired. Difficult interview but SO SO very worth it.
    My final interview was a mock class. The woman on the other end was kind, and had great feedback on my teaching styles. I really enjoy working with this company.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you do well in teaching? What do you think you could improve on?   Answer Question

Feb 5, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID.

Interview

The process took two weeks and included three interviews, which consisted of being scored on practical teaching ability. It took up to 48 hours to get a response on each assessment. I found that a coach was necessary to understand the process and what was being looked for. Hiring included standard forms and a background check.

Interview Questions

VIPKID Response

Feb 24, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We feel privileged to have you!

ESL Teacher Interview

Interview

When I entered the virtual class online for a mock class, the next stage after the interview, the girl interviewing me looked shocked when she saw my dark skin color. Then she made up all these bogus technical issues and told me to restart my router. When I returned to the mock class setting she had left. She left behind a note that read "due to technical issues, you'll need to reschedule".

Oct 25, 2017 – Engagement Manager

Race and/or ethnicity play no role in the recruitment and screening process. We have a very diverse community of teachers.

You are welcome to email us to get more feedback about your interview and... More

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I interviewed at VIPKID in August 2017.

Interview

Wow. Just, wow.

I was excited to hear about VIPKID from a friend (who has 0 teaching experience but does it), who referred me. With no intention to come across as though I am bragging, but rather to provide context, I will explain my history. I have two undergrad degrees from a prestigious university including special ed in elementary school and also a degree in foreign language and literatures. I also have a masters in education in Bilingual Ed. as well as special ed, and graduated at the top of my programs for that matter. I currently teach bilingual students and also have three years of early childhood teaching experience. I currently mentor several new ESL teachers in my public school and am a teacher leader which means I model for the school district exemplary teaching. Oh and I nailed my Mocks. Both of them....and I was not accepted.

I purchased the orange shirts, had a kid-friendly background, props, whiteboards, flash cards, was enthusiastic and well prepared, and still had to deal with teachers clearly on vacation grading me! YES! ON VACATION NOT EVEN PAYING ATTENTION!One was at her dad's house in Indiana on vacation with horrible internet connection. The other teacher evaluator was a theatre major (seriously?!?!) evaluating me in my instruction of ESL (which as a reminder, I do as a profession every single day as a public school teacher but still modified my pedagogical approaches to best fit VIPKIDS' desires)

I won't even go into Mock 1 because I feel as though this person had absolutely no business even evaluating me in any capacity. My feedback for Mock2 happened after slide 14. She said, "Great job, but when you want the student to speak cup your ear." I did this for the second half of Mock 2 yet that was written as the reason why I wasn't accepted. Also, she quickly matched all of the sounds to the pictures on her own so I had her elaborate instead of repeat the target sentence (in a real case scenario had she done this independently, she would be better suited for extending of questions to further language development...which anyone with any language acquisition knowledge would agree with a.k.a. No one at VIPKID).

Good luck to all who interview here. Maybe it's a good place for non-educators? To any other actual teachers out there with actual integrity I'd stay away from here!!!

Interview Questions

VIPKID Response

Aug 24, 2017 – Engagement Manager

Applicants referred by our currently contracted teachers are very special to us and as we grow, their number is constantly rising. We now have a dedicated department that exclusively deals with... More

Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VIPKID (Marietta, GA) in January 2018.

Interview

First you take a questionnaire to make sure you are qualified for the position. Once you get past that you have a few days to complete a demo lesson - you can either record it or take one with an adult who is pretending to be a five year old student. Once you pass that, you go have a few days to prepare for a mock class with a VIPKID mentor (a current teacher for VIPKID). If you pass the mock class you either get hired right away or you might have to complete a second mock class. After you have been officially hired you have to complete an online quiz (you are able to retake if you fail). Then you upload some documents (diploma, passport, etc.) and complete a background check. That's pretty much it! Then you're ready to teach.

Interview Questions

VIPKID Response

Feb 24, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Salt Lake City, UT) in January 2018.

Interview

I attended the Fast Pass class and then scheduled my mock interview for two mock class sessions with an online mentor. It all went smoothly and I qualified to teach both Mock 1 and Mock 2 and I submitted paperwork for hire and background check. Easy-peasy!

Interview Questions

• How do you think you did on your Mock 1 lesson?   1 Answer

Apr 10, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Application online. Then a Skype interview with teaching demo for 10 minutes with a recruiter in China. Later I scheduled a Mock Class interview with mentor teacher. The Mock Class presentation + interview was around an hour.

Interview Questions

VIPKID Response

Dec 10, 2017 – Program Manager

We are very glad that you found VIPKID!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Orlando, FL).

Interview

The application was short and easy--and that was all that was short and easy. I received constant emails encouraging me to film my demo, but had no idea what that entailed (they gave no express directions or hints as to what they wanted). Eventually, I received an email encouraging me to attend a coaching session which would explain what the company wanted in these demos. After that, I had to do two mock classes. The mocks went well--I thought--and I received mainly positive feedback with a few minor things to work on. After my second mock, I heard nothing--no email so much as telling me I'd been passed over, let alone why. I had to go to the teacher portal to find my rejection waiting for me. Bear in mind, I have a degree in English and have studied ESL and linguistics intensively since graduating. Not only that, but my interviewers were very positive about me. I would've appreciated some reason why I was so unfit for this job, especially since they advertise everywhere and apparently need teachers desperately. I know they hire very few of their applicants in the end, so this made me feel not like a potential candidate, but another statistic to show off how "exclusive" they are.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you did well? What could you improve on?   Answer Question

Oct 31, 2017 – Engagement Manager

We apologize for the experience you had at the time of your application. We are always striving to improve and have recently under gone some key changes. Should you feel like reapplying, we would be... More