VIPKID ESL Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 1, 2018

3.2

151 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VIPKID (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

Three interviews; first is short, tell a bit about yourself, do a 15 min demo; Second interview is a mock class, feedback is given; most teachers have a second mock class interview.

Interview Questions

• just asked to tell about my teaching experience; the other two were feedback given and any questions I had   Answer Question

Nov 2, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We feel privileged to have you!

Other Interview Reviews for VIPKID

Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VIPKID (Conway, AR) in February 2018.

Interview

I was required to submit an application. I was determined to meet the requirements, so they provided me with a lesson and I recorded mock class, then move on to a second mock class with an adult student. I was hired and asked to submit copies of my degree, etc.

Interview Questions

• What teaching experience do you have?   1 Answer

Aug 5, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for your trust and enthusiasm. Happy Teaching!

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VIPKID.

Interview

Online audio\visual. Determining ability to communicate clearly with children. Being able to make learning exciting. Offers flexible schedule, competitive pay. Online interactive with children learning English. Must have a degree, education experience preferable. Teach from anywhere with internet connection. Use props to engage children

Jul 16, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

You’re pretty awesome too. Thanks!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton Township, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at VIPKID (Clinton Township, MI) in June 2018.

Interview

The interview process consisted of an interview where a Vipkid representative asks for your teaching experience, degree level, and other easy to answer questions. When I first applied they emailed me right away requesting that I set up an interview. When I did not do it immediately, they called me for an interview. The interview was easy and they tell you what your base pay would be and send you what your contract would be (minus a contract date) (Please note Vipkids emails you often). They told me I passed the interview immediately and sent me an email five minutes later telling me my next steps. I had to watch 2 hours worth of videos and take quizzes related to the videos. Once I passed that, I scheduled my mock class (I scheduled it for two days after my interview). Please note the company states they do not require you to purchase any materials during the mock classes, but this is 100% false! They expect you to do your mock class (with a mentor pretending to be a 5 year old) with an educational and kid oriented background. If you do not have any kids and are not in school yourself, you more than likely do not have a kid and educational environment. You got to get the needed environment somehow, which normally means buying needed materials. During my mock 1 class, I was mostly praised for my teaching abilities and was given advice on how to better myself. They also suggested again to have a educational background. I bought a few things to help with my educational background because I was asked to complete Mock 2. I had problems with my equipment in Mock 2 and instead of my mentor suggesting I get my equipment fixed and reschedule my mock class 2 (which mentors are supposed to do!) she said we'll just complete it because we lost 10 to 15 minutes. Now Vipkid called and emailed me often prior to me completing Mock 2. As soon as I was done, communications stopped. I was told I would be emailed my results within 1 to 2 business days. I so happened to log in on day 2 to see I had been denied. I wasn't sent my results or anything until I emailed them. Points was heavily deducted from me due to those technical errors, meanwhile I was praised for my teaching abilities minus areas of improvement here and there. You can appeal a decision so I sent them a detailed explanation to why I believe I should be reconsidered to redo my mock class on Tuesday, June 19 and Vipkid normally emails within hours if not minutes from when you contact them. It's now Sunday, June 24 and still no word from them. My advice is to apply for Dadaabc if you don't get accepted into Vipkid. At least you'll have an edge on candidates with TPR and props if you did end up purchasing props for Vipkid. If contracted through Dadaabc, if a child does not book you in your contract hours, you still get paid (Vipkid does not do that).

Interview Questions

• What's your highest level of Education?   1 Answer

Jun 26, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Currently we are working to improve our recruitment procedures, and apologize for any miscommunication that occurred during your interview. We have already implemented several new guidelines for our... More

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Louisville, KY) in September 2017.

Interview

In order to get hired, you must undergo two mock classes. They are very easy. You just have to display your ability to teach and keep the student engaged in the lesson plan.

Interview Questions

• What kind of teaching experience do you have?   1 Answer

May 22, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VIPKID in January 2018.

Interview

It was Long, Grueling, No communication for how long it would take, Caused a lot of anxiety, had Conflicting feedback from different interview mentors/confusing, Exhausting. I hope they update how the interview process goes.

Interview Questions

VIPKID Response

May 17, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Raleigh, NC) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process was in depth and slightly intimidating. I had to give mock classes several times for them to be sure I was a good teacher. They approved of my teaching style and hired me very quickly though. They are very picky about their teachers.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to teach an adult pretending to be a five year old Chinese student.   1 Answer

Jun 12, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We feel privileged to have you!

ESL Teacher Interview

Interview

It's a decently straightforward process although it's fairly lengthy for how small the prospective salary would be. You need to do a digital interview (there are several ways to complete that step), go through hours worth of information/virtual training (Youtube videos), and then TWO mock lessons (with a veteran VIPKID teacher mentor). Overall VIPKID seems to be a very efficient organization that's very good at what it does. However as I said before, the interview process seems a little too lengthy given you won't be compensated that much if you're hired--be sure you plan to max out your hours in order to make it worth your while!

Interview Questions

• What's your experience with teaching younger students? What's your experience with teaching ELLs?   Answer Question

Jun 7, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We’re glad you are enjoying yourself! Thanks for your comments!

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID in September 2018.

Interview

I filled out an online application and was invited to the "Express Interview." This consisted of recording and sending a brief description of your qualifications and a 10-minute lesson from the materials they provided. I got past that stage and was sent on to Mock Class 1. I believe other people may do a virtual interview. Mock Class 1 involved virtually teaching an employee acting as a child and included feedback. I prepared part of a lesson for a level 1 student and part for a level 3 student. I took the free preparation class, which was two hours and also spent about two hours preparing on my own. I passed Mock Class 1 and was sent on to Mock Class 2. They determined my skills were best for a level 5 teacher (highest student level). I then prepared an entire lesson, which took many hours. I again gave a virtual lesson to an employee acting as a child. Half-way through she gave feedback. I feel that I applied that feedback to the second half. Within about a day I got an email that I was unsuccessful. I wished they had rejected me three steps before I put substantial time and effort into it, including buying additional lighting, props, a whiteboard, etc. I felt like my energy and enthusiasm was "over the top," but they still said I needed more. I think part of the problem, was my not understanding how they wanted me to teach a level 5 student until the interview lesson.

Interview Questions

• No interview questions as I submitted a video. My "interview" was two mock classes.   1 Answer

Sep 13, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Chicago, IL) in October 2018.

Interview

The interview process was one of the worst experiences I have had in my 15 years in education. The initial interview was fine and I was offered $21 an hour based on my ESL certification , SEI endorsement, Masters Degree in Education, experience teaching ESL in China and other countries, and 15 years experience in the classroom. My first mock class went well and the feedback I received indicated that I would be hired. I was then told I needed to do an additional mock class. I called and asked about the process as I was not given accurate information from my mentor. I completed the 2nd mock class and it went well. My mentor even indicated that she would push me through and that I would do a great job. I then received an email stating I failed the 2nd mock class. The positive feedback section stated that I did everything correctly. The “needs to improve” section stated 4 things they claimed I didn’t do. This section was 100% incorrect and this was proven by what was written in their “things you did well “ section. If they recorded these mocks they could easily go back and see their incorrect statements. I should have listened to my gut after the warning signs were going off after the first mock. This was a disappointing waste of time. The fake “happy;happy “ response from anyone you speak with is ridiculous. I am not advocating a rude response but I am suggesting they train their employees on how to give accurate information as opposed to just placating someone to avoid difficult conversations.

Another side point in regards to the interview. I had to purchase multiple items in order to attempt to pass the mock. Now they will claim this is not necessary, but there is no way one can pass without them.

We all know this is a moot point and someone will probably respond that they are “sorry” for my experience. I do not need that nor do I expect it as I do not believe it is genuine. I just suggest that if you are deciding to apply to this company you are fully aware. FYI—there are at least 2 other companies who have the same set-up now who also pay the same as this company, so research your options.

Interview Questions

VIPKID Response

Oct 8, 2018 – Social Media Specialist