VIPKID ESL Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2018

3.2

142 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VIPKID.

Interview

The entire process took a couple of weeks. As many have stated, you do a lot of prep work which will help you complete the demo class successfully. I had to do two practicums, and I believe I did well on the second one because I took the suggestions my interviewer gave and really applied them.

I was notified that I received the position fairly quickly. My suggestions for other candidates is to really study the videos and material they give you beforehand. Smile, be positive, articulate and you'll do great.

Other Interview Reviews for VIPKID

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Dallas, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied on the website, heard back and then had Skype interview scheduled within two weeks after applying. Was scheduled for a demo class presentation the following week, and then an additional demo lesson was scheduled later that week. The material for the demo lesson was given to me a few days prior with ample amount of informations to create a lesson. I heard that I was hired a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What are some obstacles you have had to overcome teaching children from other cultures?   1 Answer

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VIPKID.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. You met your interviewer and then jumped right into the lesson. My interviewer gave me some suggestions to improve and then let me know right away that I would be moving forward which was very good to know. You definitely should watch the videos they provide for tips and make sure you are familiar with the subject material. It was actually kind of fun and although the interviewer is imitating a 5 year old with limited English language skills my interviewer didn't "misbehave" or act too silly so it wasn't awkward.

Interview Questions

• They asked general get to know you information and then went straight into watching you teach.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I have been a public school teacher for 5 years and ESL certified. I was excited about this opportunity with VIPKID. I breezed through a demo class, background check, submitted my passport info, bank account info, and signed a contract. Then, I went through a practicum (you are given a lesson and a so called "expert teacher" watches you and scores you.) I was told to work on time management since the classes are only 25 minutes. Then I had the second practicum. When completed, the "expert teacher" and I chatted and I was given good feedback. 4 days go by and I hear nothing. I e-mail to find out my results, seeking feedback and critiques and still nothing. I check the "portal" and it shows the generic "We have decided to move on with other candidates..." I continue to e-mail asking for feedback because I am surprised. I studied the lesson for 2 days, had props, was enthusiastic, and like I stated before, received good feedback right after the lesson.

I think VIPKID fails in their professionalism by sending a contract and offering a pay grade before having the candidate go through a practicum. It seems backwards. And I don't agree that one random "expert teacher" from the US gets to have the final say about my ability to teach English. After watching the VIPKID training videos of other teachers, I question what they are really looking for. Or I have a very different definition of what it means to be an "enthusiastic, well-spoken, prop ready, well- prepared ESL teacher".

Interview Questions

• Are you traveling in the next two weeks?   1 Answer

Apr 6, 2016 – Engagement Manager

Dear Candidate, I'm sorry about your negative experience. Teaching in the classroom and teaching online are very different from one another. While the same skills are used, they are used in ways. Our... More

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VIPKID in June 2016.

Interview

Everything moved along quickly and exactly as explained. They provide a wealth of materials to help you ace your demo lessons. The speed at which you move through the process also depends on your schedule and when you can do your interviews and demo lessons. Most teachers have to do two practicum lessons but I was only asked to do one and then started booking students almost immediately.

Interview Questions

• What is my experience teaching ESL?   1 Answer

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VIPKID in June 2016.

Interview

Was very interesting as the interview took only a few minutes. Most of the interview was hard to understand as the person had a heavy accent, what made it harder to understand was that the interviewer was in a room with about 30 other people who were also simultaneously talking.

Interview Questions

• How many years do you have of experience as an ESL teacher?
      Where are you located?   Answer Question

I didn't like the interview process and once the contract was given to me, many of the things that were promised before the interview were completely different from what they actually offered.

Jun 16, 2016 – International Recruitment Manager

Dear candidate, thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry about your negative experience. We will work on the issues you addressed so that we are able to ensure that our candidates accept our job offer.... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VIPKID (Tampa, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for a job with VIPKID and received an email immediately to schedule an interview. The day of the interview I had technical issues due to a tropical storm that hit my area. Fortunately I was able to fix the issues and move forward for my interview. I did review the materials they had given me and watched the youtube videos of other Vipkid teacher. I made sure to match all of their expectations in an ESL Vipkid teacher.

At the end of my interview, they offered me a salary, I requested to negotiate and the interviewer told me that I should get an email within 24 hours. It has been 48 hours and haven't received any word from them, so I logged on to their website to find a message saying that although my interview was very good and I am good candidate, they have moved on to other candidates.

This was very poor communication and false statements on their part. I find it to be a waste of my time and effort. I do not like how they do business. If any company decides not to take you on, then they should not be offering a salary let alone try to negotiate one. Let alone Vipkid did not notify me like they said they would nor did they provide any reason or feedback for randomly deciding to move on to other candidates and drop my application altogether. Very poor work in doing business and hiring process.

Interview Questions

VIPKID Response

Jun 16, 2016 – Engagement Manager

Dear candidate, thank you for your feedback. Making a salary offer prior to offering a job to the candidate is definitely not our protocol. We will investigate and fix this issue. If you would... More

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VIPKID (Arlington, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

I did a short Demo with a ppt from the curriculum and received feedback by email shortly after. I studied the Training Materials, did a 'practicum' with a VIPKID staff member to demonstrate an ability to time the lessons, and then was able to start teaching. The staff was courteous and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview was focused on the demo lesson. If you have prepared this you will be fine.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VIPKID (Miami, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview was a long process with many hours of training videos. However, all were necessary to build the skills needed to teach with Vipkid. First send in resume, then one on one interview for 30 minutes through video chat, then studying for practicum. 2 practicums, 1 hour each to pass the interview process.

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VIPKID (El Paso, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy. I was just asked some things about my background and if I had experience teaching. They really want to know if you have experience if you have experience working with English language learners.

Interview Questions

• Do you have teaching experience ?   1 Answer
    • Have you worked in an ESL environment before?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.