VIPKID Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2018

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VIPKID (Dallas, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Potentially long unless you nail it the first time. Very thorough! You must complete an interview and then teach a lesson. Depending on your preliminary stage it will be a Demo Lesson (10 min) or a Mock Class (25 min) presentation. Your interview outcome determines your pay so be sure to know the lesson. PREPARE PREPARE PREPARE!!! You will have a better chance at success on the platform if you do well the first time. If you don't pass the Mock 1, there is a potential for Mock 2 and other programs, however, each additional stage takes days to complete and can add up to a lot of time to pass. No matter your length, there is still no guarantee that you will get booked in the future but most do well in bookings and love the job so it's worth a try.

Jun 3, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

We are honored that you love using our platform! Thank you so much!

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VIPKID (Cary, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got a quick response by email asking to schedule an interview over video chat (like Skype). Got a job offer right away after the interview and was asked to schedule a time/date for the 1st practicum. Basically you need to watch about 4-5 hours of training videos, take a short quiz on the videos, do some practice, and then you're ready for a practicum where you "teach" an experienced teacher who is pretending to be a 5 year old student. The practicum is time for them to give you tips and answer your questions. You get 2 chances to pass the practicum. I think you can pass it on the first try but from what I gather, most people have to do 2 (I did 2). After the first one, the person you worked will send you a detailed copy of your practicum evaluation, so you can see how many points you got and where you need to improve.
    After you pass the second practicum, you can start scheduling yourself for classes right away! It's awesome!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous teaching experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at VIPKID (Richmond, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

Once you schedule an interview they give you a demo lesson, and videos and prep material. The interview is in 3 parts. They ask a few questions about your teaching background, you teach a demo lesson to the interviewer, who acts like a five year old, then you get to ask questions. However, the way the lesson is taught in the video is different from the direction given on the actual lesson. I was docked points because I followed the directions on the lesson instead of doing what was in their youtube videos. For example, one slide says to only have the student act out the words, but apparently the student is supposed to say the word too which wasn't specified on that slide. It was specified on other slides. There was another slide that the interviewer told me I needed to print out and put on a white board, but the directions didn't say to print out the page, and there was nothing in the prep materials that said I had to do that. I was also docked for not having props which the interview prep said was optional. I didn't have any props on hand to support the lesson, and I'm sorry but I'm not going to go out and buy props for an initial interview that I will never use again if I don't get the job. I explained the discrepancy in the written directions vs. the videos shown to the interviewer during the feedback. If you interview, when you come across slides where the directions differ from what they do in the video, follow the video. Some of the feedback was accurate. I've never taught that way before, so some of it was hard to remember with only 2 days to prep. Even though I was docked points for things that I don't believe I should have been docked for, I was still offered a contract with pay on the upper end. I just wish that their demo directions had lined up with the videos they sent, and that if props are required that they would have said so instead of saying they were optional.

Interview Questions

• How long did I teach in public school?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

It is long but worth it. It weeds out the non serious applicants. Plus these kids needs good teachers. Parents pay a lot of money per 25 min class ($42)

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Remote, OR) in May 2016.

Interview

It began with an online application, followed by a phone interview, and two Skype-like interviews teaching mock classes. The mock classes did require some preparation. I think there were also some initial videos to watch to help prepare for the interview. Overall, it wasn't a hard interview process. I think VIPKID is constantly looking for teacher, so they probably hire a good number of people that apply--at least if they show any kind of potential.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the interview was preparing to teach a mock class.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID in September 2016.

Interview

They are very quick in the first part of the interview process. Initially, you will get an interview with staff from the main office in Beijing. It is just a quick screening . It would be quite difficult not to get through the first stage. The company is expanding rapidly. I recently heard that they are trying to match up to 5000 students.

My impression is that the company wants to make sure they have enough teachers available so that their clients can have enough options available. You will have to give a trial class. So that partially explains why they want you to sign the contract as soon as possible. Most jobs require more extensive screening and then they hire you.

Once I signed the contract. I did ok in my first practicum. The second one, I did well. Probably my performance in the first on affected their decision to fail me. The second practicum evaluator liked my performance very much. But what is the point of doing the second one? However, I did not "get the job offer" though I signed the contract. They call it "canceling the contract".

I do not want to apply again. It does not make sense to sign a contract with a company when they are not really offering a position. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW THEY PHRASE IT. They are just binding you to a job when you do not even know what it really is like. they want to keep a good supply of teachers. A representative from VIPKID somewhere on Glassdoor or another review site wrote that online teaching is very different. If they do not like you enough then you are essentially "fired" or "your contract is cancelled" If they like you enough, you will be bound to the contract for six months and you won't be able to work for other companies.

Remember when they "hire" you and you sign your contract, they are not really committing anything to you except an opportunity to test you and for you to prove your qualification. They are not committed enough to train you before "practicum" via video conferencing. Practicum is really a test for you, not an opportunity for you to train. And it costs money to pay those practicum evaluator so that won't happen. So keep that in mind. I am not sure if the teacher can cancel a contract, too....I believe that it should be like any other jobs - non binding since they are essentially hiring you as freelance. I have not see c2 Education or Huntington doing this. On the other hand, you can work from home. Once you are used to it, it is easy to do and it can be a great job for many people.

If you are experienced in teaching young children (ESL), it can be a great opportunity. Otherwise, it may not be the right company for you.

Interview Questions

VIPKID Response

Jun 14, 2017 – Engagement Manager

We apologize for the experience you had at the time of your application. We are always striving to improve and have recently under gone some key changes. Should you feel like reapplying, we would... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VIPKID (Remote, OR) in December 2016.

Interview

Way too long. The interview process was ambiguous and backward. You sign a contract that includes pay, but then you're not guaranteed to get the position. Makes no sense. The people that review the final interview ensure that it is very arbitrary. When I wasn't accepted I sent an email and got no response.

Interview Questions

• Mock interview requires that you must decipher slide that are hard to know what the company expects.   3 Answers

Jun 13, 2017 – Engagement Manager

Currently we are working to improve our recruitment procedures, and apologize for any miscommunication that occurred during your interview. We have already implemented several new guidelines for... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VIPKID (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview itself was, for lack of a better word, weird. I am an extremely experienced teacher. I have both a B.Ed and an M.Ed, along with three other post graduate certifications, reading specialist, teacher support specialist, and gifted certification. I have over a decade of experience teaching in the public school setting with very diverse populations, including a very high percentage of ESOL students. I have also taught in the private school setting and the homeschool community. I have taught in both formats, in person, and online.

I was thoroughly prepared for my interview. I had researched and prepared all my materials according to the powerpoints, made sure I was pointing to my mouth and cupping my ear, made my reward system, (and remembered to use it.) used my whiteboard for demonstrating, along with the computer. I read reviews here on glassdoor and others, and watched so many videos on youtube. I made a very colorful background, as a classroom with various images, my name being prominently displayed, along with a United States map, and an alphabet letter T. (The lesson I was given was the letter T.) I wore an orange t-shirt. To demonstrate tongue, I had a dragon puppet on my hand, with a "tongue" that forked out. I used a tiger stuffed animal for the tiger. I even had a swim mask and snorkel for the warmup, and used a swimming motion for the warmup, when asked to have the child act out what you say. I had bread with me, as I imitated eating, again using these props, and hand motions while I said the word.

The interviewer said she liked my dragon tongue prop, especially, and she loved my colorful background. She said that I needed to make sure to circle the item I was pointing to, instead of pointing to it with the mouse, because they student can't see that. However; no one tells you that, before hand. The instructions stated the objective was to have the student circle an arrow that pointed to that item, so I had no way of knowing the item couldn't be seen on the student's end without circling it. Also, the interviewer said I needed to use more hand movements in my lesson, but then said I did a great job with all of my props and other materials. From the feedback, I'm still not sure where the problem was.

The interview portion itself was nothing...just basically reading over the application. No difficult interview questions. However; it was very difficult to hear because the interviewer was in a call center and there was a lot of background noise.

I have a feeling the company is looking for a certain type of person that can be easily programmed as a robotic clone, a caricature or cartoon animation. I'm open to criticism, but the feedback I received was very, very confusing.

Interview Questions

• What is your teaching background? Do you have a teaching degree? Are you a licensed teacher?   Answer Question

Jun 13, 2017 – Engagement Manager

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VIPKID in March 2017.

Interview

It started with a five-minute greeting, taught a simulated class, was provided with feedback, and was offered job on the spot! It was fairly easy and seamless. I was impressed by the immediate feedback and job offer. The interviewer was kind and understanding! I'm excited to begin my journey with this company!

Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VIPKID (Mount Pleasant, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

My interview process was simple. I actually did not have a good internet connection for the interview, but because I had prepared, based on the information and lessons I was provided, the person interviewing me, recommended me for a wage competitive with my master's pay scale and sent me through to the next level.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I could be available and commit to 7 1/2 hours of peak time scheduling each week (which is 15 classes).   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Linwood, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at VIPKID (Linwood, NJ) in November 2016.

Interview

Application is online. After filling out the application, you set up an interview by reserving a spot online. The interview is through the computer on their teaching platform. You have to answer a few questions about your teaching experience and then present a demo lesson to the interviewer who pretends to be an elementary student. They give you slides and all the material you need to teach for the demo lesson.