VMware Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Director Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Screening by recruiter then a series of interviews with the hiring manager, his/her peers, and employees that one will be managing. Negotiations can take some time if the job title is different than what you want.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Ask for as much as you can, they can always say no, but be reasonable in your expectations

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

About seven 1:1 interviews took place across 3 days. The entire process took about 3 months. Standard procedures, I interviewed with a mix of to-be reports, peers, and cross-functional team members I would eventually have to work with. The interview process was friendly and thorough but not very demanding on skills.

Interview Questions

• Give us examples of situations where you've had to build cross-functional collaboration relationships across multiple organizations, geographies and time zones   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

very well run process. recruiter was following up regularly. people were nice but came across aggressive both for business and for internal opportunities. and as a small world in the valley, several interviewers find pretty close connection to my prior colleagues. vmware supposed to be a great company but several interviewers that i met including the hiring manager left within the following year. i was intrigued and introduced by an executive friend but personally i did not find the click.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at VMware in October 2012.

Interview

Basic interview process with a number of the business and technical teams. The interview process at VMware can be very long, for me I interviewed in late Oct and didn't start until March, they were having one of their layoffs in between which they have about once per year and it is hard to get hired in the middle of one of those.

Interview Questions

• The standard stuff, they like to quiz a bit about their own technology and partners that they work with.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

In depth strategic discussions with different levels (VP, other directors, and engineering). Not standard process for this role, it was more evaluating me as a person and my experiences. I had to do some presenting as well as white boarding to go over a strategy discussion, but this was not too tough and was more collaborative/discussion type structure.

Interview Questions

• If you have two partners who find out the others discounting structure how do you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with Hiring Manager and a peer. On site loop with 3 peers, Hiring Manager, 2 peers of hiring manager, 1 Skip Level As appropriate interview. Lunch with a peer to hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• STAR Interview process, Situational interviews, Ability to think on your own, thinking big   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

Long and thorough team feedback and team buy-in process which measures both functional AND cultural fit. Many rounds, many people in Palo Alto HQ, up and down the org chart from VP to line level. Great people, great organization, but penny wise/pound foolish blinders in some areas. This actually showed itself in small ways at several points during the process. Gave them several opportunities to be smarter than the ink on the paper, but to no avail. Could not think strategically in the best interest of stakeholders on easily solved issues, which was concerning for the long term. There is no substitute for talent...

Interview Questions

• Relevant examples of global cross functional experience in a highly matrixed org   1 Answer