VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

3.1

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Took about a week to set up a time for a technical phone screen with an Engineer. A coding puzzle using hacker rank.
    There was a second technical phone screen with an architect and discussion and a small puzzle. Invited for an onsite with half day of interview with the team.

Interview Questions

• Given a tree, how would determine if it is a binary search tree ?   1 Answer
    • design a thread pool class, given an initial number - n (say), start n threads and each threads should be able to receive a task and execute it.   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list, group the odd numbered nodes ( not value) and even numbered nodes together.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in May 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The initial HR round was pretty good. Got selected for the first Phone Technical round. I felt the interview was okay. I was asked to code in my preferred language and was also asked about my projects on resume. It was about 45 mins call but got extended for another 15mins. I had a great time learning about the project that they were working on.

Interview Questions

• BST insertion, deletion and find a node. Complexity(worst and best case analysis) in finding a node.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Two phone screens with HR and a technical staff. What the HR mentioned that could happen next did not happen at all. Very bad experiences. Would not recommend to you guys at alll.

QA Engineer (QE- MTS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Easy phone interview, then called for onsite. At onsite, the first interviewer had printed 3 pages full of questions to ask. Seriously?? I have attended a lot of interviews, first time in my life I saw someone printing the questions and asking like a rapid-fire round. Asked more than 50-60 questions in 45 mins. Vmware should teach their employees how to interview. Next 3 interviewers including hiring manager were fine, again the last one was grilling more on keywords in resume. He asked questions which he also dint know the answers. After 2 weeks the HR shared the feedback, which was NO.

Interview Questions

• All theoretical questions on Python like what is decorator, yield, generator, list, tuple etc.
      Basic networking questions diff bt router & switch, TCP/UDP, routing, linux CLI commands etc.
      How APR works
      Test cases of an elevator.
      Describe operation of BGP, OSPF, RIP.
      Grilling on each keyword in resume.
      Answer Question

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I went through a process that included six separate interviews, four interviews over the phone, a Webex presentation. The final interview included a face to face interview which lasted maybe 30 to 35 minutes at the VMware office. After a few weeks of going back and forth with the recruiter about a status. I was finally was told that I was not a good fit because I didn't have enough experience, even though this was marketed as an internship type position and I have two plus years of experience with various VMware technologies and VMware certifications.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background and experience   1 Answer

NBSU Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

Discussed a little about the resume and the experience. Asked a little about the RESTful services. Asked some data structure questions. How to implement the Hashmap. Finally gave some suggestions about the questions and how to improve. Asked if have some questions for the interviewer.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Chicago, IL).

Interview

HR Screen, multiple interviews with team, presentation, addition interviews, being ignored, no feedback on next steps or of no longer in consideration, calls out of blue for more, more being provided no response, over and over, finally lost all interest as not the type of company where I would want to work.

Interview Questions

• Using this to warn anyone considering VMWare to stay far away.
      Horrible treatment of those going through process. I had multiple interviews yet zero information from HR or Hiring Manager. Constantly went dark only to reach back out and ask for more time. HR wouldn't respond to status and never did. If you value yourself don't apply here, they have zero respect for you or your time. Choosing to not hire someone is absolutely ok, not letting them
      know after two plus months of interviews is very unprofessional.
      1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff - NSX Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in April 2017.

Interview

HR contacted me for NSX networking team. Then had setup an 45 minutes coding interview with an engineer. A google doc was shared and was asked to code in it.

Interview Questions

• Given a “2 x n” board and tiles of size “2 x 1”, count the number of ways to tile the given board using the 2 x 1 tiles. A tile can either be placed horizontally i.e., as a 1 x 2 tile or vertically i.e., as 2 x 1 tile.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position through referral and interviewed with VmWare. I was called in for a F2F interview to meet with the team, know more about the role and assess how my experience aligned with their expectations. The interview was conversational and went well.
    In the next few days, one of the interviewers (a man) messages me (a woman) on social media messenger app to start a series of conversations, followed by messaging me at 1 am in the night to which I did not reply. I chose not to answer to any of his conversations but lost my interest in the position and the company as I found this to be very alarming and unprofessional of any interviewer behaving in this manner.
    In addition to this, they took around 3 weeks to tell me that I wasn't a good fit and they are moving ahead with another candidate.

NOTE: Please respect the interview candidate whose interview experience greatly affects how he/she perceives your company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Do you have experience in statistical modeling? 3 things you are looking for in your next job?   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

In the beginning screening, the process went well and seemed promising. Questions were easy to answer and interviewers were encouraging. You are required to interview with at least five different people prior to an offer. There was poor communications between HR and the interviewers and twice I was stood up. One hour before I was to have a series of three interviews, HR called to tell me that they had decided not to fill the role right now. It was a mess.