VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.2

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I went through a process that included six separate interviews, four interviews over the phone, a Webex presentation. The final interview included a face to face interview which lasted maybe 30 to 35 minutes at the VMware office. After a few weeks of going back and forth with the recruiter about a status. I was finally was told that I was not a good fit because I didn't have enough experience, even though this was marketed as an internship type position and I have two plus years of experience with various VMware technologies and VMware certifications.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background and experience   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff - NSX Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in April 2017.

Interview

HR contacted me for NSX networking team. Then had setup an 45 minutes coding interview with an engineer. A google doc was shared and was asked to code in it.

Interview Questions

• Given a “2 x n” board and tiles of size “2 x 1”, count the number of ways to tile the given board using the 2 x 1 tiles. A tile can either be placed horizontally i.e., as a 1 x 2 tile or vertically i.e., as 2 x 1 tile.   Answer Question

NBSU Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

Discussed a little about the resume and the experience. Asked a little about the RESTful services. Asked some data structure questions. How to implement the Hashmap. Finally gave some suggestions about the questions and how to improve. Asked if have some questions for the interviewer.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Chicago, IL).

Interview

HR Screen, multiple interviews with team, presentation, addition interviews, being ignored, no feedback on next steps or of no longer in consideration, calls out of blue for more, more being provided no response, over and over, finally lost all interest as not the type of company where I would want to work.

Interview Questions

• Using this to warn anyone considering VMWare to stay far away.
      Horrible treatment of those going through process. I had multiple interviews yet zero information from HR or Hiring Manager. Constantly went dark only to reach back out and ask for more time. HR wouldn't respond to status and never did. If you value yourself don't apply here, they have zero respect for you or your time. Choosing to not hire someone is absolutely ok, not letting them
      know after two plus months of interviews is very unprofessional.
      1 Answer

Marketing Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

In the beginning screening, the process went well and seemed promising. Questions were easy to answer and interviewers were encouraging. You are required to interview with at least five different people prior to an offer. There was poor communications between HR and the interviewers and twice I was stood up. One hour before I was to have a series of three interviews, HR called to tell me that they had decided not to fill the role right now. It was a mess.

Cloud Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Went through a series of interviews at all levels from multiple locations. It started if the HR manager and the transisitoned to engineers for technical talking. Then we started to talk to managers and executives at multiple levels.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions related to management style and architecture knowledge around virtualiztion and cloud technologies   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted an application and resume online. Got called back from a recruiter, asking for a time for Phone screen. When through the phone screen with very few actual technical questions. Went on site for in person interviews. Got a variety what if scenarios and logic puzzles, all with technical overtones. took a week to hear back that I was great but they didnt think that I would be happy in that particular position and recommended me for 3 others. I had accepted another offer at that point so i declined to move forward.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get most of your tech news?   Answer Question
    • A system with parts XYZ isn't work correctly and you have the end user on the phone, not able to conduct sales. How do you fix it?   Answer Question
    • Your sales partner tells a blatant lie to a customer, saying system XYZ can do ABC, when it can't. How do you respond?   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The campus interview process was very simple and straightforward. I had three telephonic interviews in three weeks and had my offer in the fourth week. My first interview was with a Marketing Manager, second one with Line Manager and the final round with Marketing Director.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a well marketed product.   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got Linkedin inmail from recruiter . gave hackeRank test, passed it, Then arranged phone screen , was easy as far as I feel . But since then no answers, I tried emailing to recruiters , calling them, left voice mails, no replies. Have no decency or manners reply back , give update. Total waste of time interviewing with them. Very bad recruiting experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Some hackerank coding question, producer consumer problem on phone, some basic java synchronization questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

this is the simplest interview I ever been too....but the real problem is not the interview but the HR's.
    I interviewed twice in a month with different teams (NSBU and NSX) in Vmware, dammm simple interviews...but after the interview HR told me that they will revert back to me within a week, one HR even said after the interview that the team really like you and they want you onboard...but after that they never contacted me, I had tried sending them reminder email but no reply....VMware have horrible HR's....I would not recommend this company to anyone.....I don't care how busy there life is but its basic courtesy to reply...I hope vmware teach them basic "Human Resource" management, since they lack it horribly