VMware Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

3.4

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in May 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The initial HR round was pretty good. Got selected for the first Phone Technical round. I felt the interview was okay. I was asked to code in my preferred language and was also asked about my projects on resume. It was about 45 mins call but got extended for another 15mins. I had a great time learning about the project that they were working on.

Interview Questions

• BST insertion, deletion and find a node. Complexity(worst and best case analysis) in finding a node.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff - NSX Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in April 2017.

Interview

HR contacted me for NSX networking team. Then had setup an 45 minutes coding interview with an engineer. A google doc was shared and was asked to code in it.

Interview Questions

• Given a “2 x n” board and tiles of size “2 x 1”, count the number of ways to tile the given board using the 2 x 1 tiles. A tile can either be placed horizontally i.e., as a 1 x 2 tile or vertically i.e., as 2 x 1 tile.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got Linkedin inmail from recruiter . gave hackeRank test, passed it, Then arranged phone screen , was easy as far as I feel . But since then no answers, I tried emailing to recruiters , calling them, left voice mails, no replies. Have no decency or manners reply back , give update. Total waste of time interviewing with them. Very bad recruiting experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Some hackerank coding question, producer consumer problem on phone, some basic java synchronization questions   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Interview process was quite smooth and they were happy to schedule the interview as per my availability.
    received the call from hiring manager itself (even before hr) and got the first round scheduled.
    In total 5 interviews talking about technical concepts to design questions and even some hands on little bit. overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• can't write the full question, being too long, but it all boils down to finding path in a tree and using it in another tree.
      merging, sorting etc,
      some practical js/css questions,
      some java inheritance overloading/overriding questions,
      most of the questions were js fundamentals..
      Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (New York, NY).

Interview

3 rounds of on-site interviews, they focus on algorithms very much, and also the concept to design software. There is a very important interview with a global architect, he has a simple question about software design first, based on your answers, he dive deep with you

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

telephonic interview was called for 45 minutes. I really suck in programming. Question was simple
    but could not complete in time although I completed the brute force method but interviewer was asking for an improved solution and I could not provide that. I really need to catch up on my programming for these type of interviews.

Interview Questions

• find the sum of 3 integers in an array that is closest to the target value.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

Interview

I was referred for the position by a friend. The phone screen went well and the hiring manager invited me to visit them onsite. The recruitment team worked with me to confirm a date and made arrangements for my stay and travel.

Had 6 45 minute technical interviews which included white boarding algorithm and coding questions. Lunch interview was with the hiring manager, and I talked to the group's director later in the day. Interviews with the hiring manager and the director were mostly behavioral and were focused on getting to know me. All the interviewers were professional and friendly.

The recruiter contacted me within a couple of days to let me know that the feedback had been positive. The recruiter later confirmed that the team was intending to make me an offer which I accepted. They worked with me on the joining date and other logistics from there on.

Interview Questions

• Know your coding and algorithms very well. Questions are fairly language independent. Technical questions are challenging but can be solved in the 45 minute slots. The interviewers are friendly and will help you if you are stuck somewhere. Be honest when you answer behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got a good offer right off the bat. Didn't negotiate much.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Phone screen followed by onsite and presentation. Asked to come in for another round afterwards and/or to work on a "open source" project. At this point, I had already spent two days on the interview process between preparing the presentation, the on site and phone screen so I cut my losses and declined to move forward. The whole process felt disrespectful of my time and arrogant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was supposed to be interviewed for "Python Developer - NSX Management Plane - Staff Engineer". To start with, the recruiter sent me a link to HackerRank online coding challenge. After preparing for the challenge, when I opened the link, I found that there was no option to select "Python" as my language of choice (even though the position was that of a Python developer).

So I sent out an email to the recruiter asking for a new link where I can select Python. However, it seems that the recruiter blatantly ignored my emails. I tried reaching out to him on LinkedIn and also through HackerRank (where I had to create a support ticket for the issue) but I got no response at all.

It is extremely disappointing that a reputed company like VMware can be so ruthless to experienced candidates who really want to go through the interview process but are being treated as if the company does not care about them. I understand that they might have already found another candidate. But is it so hard for their recruiter to communicate what exactly was the situation?

Member of Technical Staff Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

July 1st week - Staffing coordinator contacted on phone about position in Cambridge, MA
    2nd week - Hacker rank coding challenge with 5 UI and 1 algorithm question
    4th - onsite interview. 3 technical rounds, 1 round of their product presentation, lunch with hiring manager.

Staffing coordinator was very prompt with her response and the team was very friendly!

Interview Questions

• Javascript, angularJS questions,
      Standard DS and algos questions and
      Questions about past experience on resume.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was above average. I didn't negotiate.