VMware Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 17, 2018

3.4

176 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Seattle, WA).

Interview

1. contact from hr
    2. phone screen
    3. on site interview
    4. HR follow up
    5. Offer
    6. Negotiate
    7. Accept
    8. Document stuff
    The whole process is pretty quick and smooth. I can tell did well as the hiring manager came out as scheduled to greet me and provide feedback right away. Offer came the second day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me regarding an opportunity with NSX team and asked me to complete a Hackerrank online assessment. There were tight deadlines to complete the assessment. 2 days later, the recruiter told me that I am invited to a hiring event that's happening over a couple of days. There is no option to reschedule the interview, whatever the reason may be and however genuine your reason may be. On the day of the on-site interview, all the candidates are taken to a room initially and get the introduction of the team, it's members and the interview process. The other candidates may/may not be of the same experience level as you. They said that they are hiring for multiple positions, but I am not sure if the experience factor comes in place while judging because it is the same set of people who interview everyone. I had 3 rounds of interviews onsite. 2 of them were nice, friendly and helpful. The last round interviewer was very rude and was easily getting annoyed at little things like an unclear curly brace in the code. It is demotivating when the interviewer looks pissed off and speaks louder than usual showing his frustration.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given a row of seats in a theater, find out the maximum number of people that you can fit in the available seats with a given condition that a seat is eligible for occupancy only if the seats to it's left and right are empty?
      2) Convert a BST to a doubly linked list. And some questions about past work, networking and memory management.
      3) Given portID from 1 - 4K, write 2 apis ,PortID PortID_alloc() that returns a portId and void PortID_free(PortID id) that frees the given port and makes it available for reuse. A lot of questions on Networking and kernel.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in May 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The initial HR round was pretty good. Got selected for the first Phone Technical round. I felt the interview was okay. I was asked to code in my preferred language and was also asked about my projects on resume. It was about 45 mins call but got extended for another 15mins. I had a great time learning about the project that they were working on.

Interview Questions

• BST insertion, deletion and find a node. Complexity(worst and best case analysis) in finding a node.   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff - NSX Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in April 2017.

Interview

HR contacted me for NSX networking team. Then had setup an 45 minutes coding interview with an engineer. A google doc was shared and was asked to code in it.

Interview Questions

• Given a “2 x n” board and tiles of size “2 x 1”, count the number of ways to tile the given board using the 2 x 1 tiles. A tile can either be placed horizontally i.e., as a 1 x 2 tile or vertically i.e., as 2 x 1 tile.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got Linkedin inmail from recruiter . gave hackeRank test, passed it, Then arranged phone screen , was easy as far as I feel . But since then no answers, I tried emailing to recruiters , calling them, left voice mails, no replies. Have no decency or manners reply back , give update. Total waste of time interviewing with them. Very bad recruiting experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Some hackerank coding question, producer consumer problem on phone, some basic java synchronization questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Colorado Springs, CO) in March 2017.

Interview

Initially, there will be online coding test on Hackerrrank. After the coding test, one or two phone interviews based on your team and business unit. Once you cleared phone screening, there will be 4-5 onsite interviews. I had 4 onsite interviews and 2 phone interviews. Overall, it was a good experience. Interviewers are friendly and try to keep you calm as much as possible.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Interview process was quite smooth and they were happy to schedule the interview as per my availability.
    received the call from hiring manager itself (even before hr) and got the first round scheduled.
    In total 5 interviews talking about technical concepts to design questions and even some hands on little bit. overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• can't write the full question, being too long, but it all boils down to finding path in a tree and using it in another tree.
      merging, sorting etc,
      some practical js/css questions,
      some java inheritance overloading/overriding questions,
      most of the questions were js fundamentals..   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (New York, NY).

Interview

3 rounds of on-site interviews, they focus on algorithms very much, and also the concept to design software. There is a very important interview with a global architect, he has a simple question about software design first, based on your answers, he dive deep with you

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

telephonic interview was called for 45 minutes. I really suck in programming. Question was simple
    but could not complete in time although I completed the brute force method but interviewer was asking for an improved solution and I could not provide that. I really need to catch up on my programming for these type of interviews.

Interview Questions

• find the sum of 3 integers in an array that is closest to the target value.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

Interview

I was referred for the position by a friend. The phone screen went well and the hiring manager invited me to visit them onsite. The recruitment team worked with me to confirm a date and made arrangements for my stay and travel.

Had 6 45 minute technical interviews which included white boarding algorithm and coding questions. Lunch interview was with the hiring manager, and I talked to the group's director later in the day. Interviews with the hiring manager and the director were mostly behavioral and were focused on getting to know me. All the interviewers were professional and friendly.

The recruiter contacted me within a couple of days to let me know that the feedback had been positive. The recruiter later confirmed that the team was intending to make me an offer which I accepted. They worked with me on the joining date and other logistics from there on.

Interview Questions

• Know your coding and algorithms very well. Questions are fairly language independent. Technical questions are challenging but can be solved in the 45 minute slots. The interviewers are friendly and will help you if you are stuck somewhere. Be honest when you answer behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got a good offer right off the bat. Didn't negotiate much.