VMware Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2017

3.1

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for the newly formed VMware Security Products Group (SPG).

There was a coding round for 1 hour where I had to solve two problems and an onsite for 5 hours.
    The whole interview process was great except for the interview with the hiring manager. This hiring manager holds a title of "senior manager" and it was very obvious to me when I had a chat with her, that she clearly did not deserve it. Since this team and product was newly formed, I asked her questions like, what does it look like for the next two years for the product and what would happen if the product failed. She got furious after hearing these questions and her attitude towards me changed. It was a lunch interview and when 20 mins were remaining she said she wanted to take a white boarding question. So I ate fast and we both went back to the interview room. With 10-15 mins remaining she asked me to solve a coding problem. I already had 2 coding rounds before the lunch interview in which I performed really well. I solved 95% of this one too, but she said ask your last interviewer to give you 5 mins in the end and then let him click a photo of this. When the last interviewer came, he said, you have already solved a LOT of programming questions so he would not be asking more, but I asked for 5 mins in the end and solved this problem as well.
    The same day I sent an email to the recruiter with my feedback, and she replied saying that your preliminary feedback looks great and she would get a decision the next day. The next day I got an email from her saying that you performed really well in the interview and everyone liked you but unfortunately they think that you would not be happy in the position for long term. She said, that she wanted me to recruit for another team but she was not able to schedule anything. Meanwhile I got an offer from one of the bay area's top company and I accepted it.

It was so obvious to me that this was the decision of the hiring manager as she was clearly hurt by my questions. Everyone in the team was really nice but I pity them, that they have to report to such inexperienced managers.

Advice to VMware, when you promote someone, make sure they are really capable of being in that position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Took about a week to set up a time for a technical phone screen with an Engineer. A coding puzzle using hacker rank.
    There was a second technical phone screen with an architect and discussion and a small puzzle. Invited for an onsite with half day of interview with the team.

Interview Questions

• Given a tree, how would determine if it is a binary search tree ?   2 Answers
    • design a thread pool class, given an initial number - n (say), start n threads and each threads should be able to receive a task and execute it.   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list, group the odd numbered nodes ( not value) and even numbered nodes together.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Standard Interview Process, Recruiter got in touch with me. Gave a HackerRank Test and after that setup an onsite, consisting of 5 onsite rounds. The team was excellent. And the interview was focused on candidate's potential and problem solving skills. But good things end here. As others mentioned about the company, the HR treatment is horrible.

I got an email from the Recruiter mentioning that team liked me and want to move forward and she would like to talk to me to discuss next steps. But no meeting setup till next one week. After that, I asked if she want to talk and she called me after that. Explained that roles are been put on hold. So far so good. After that no updates for 2 months, Sent multiple emails, but no response. Tried to call her, but the recruiter won't pick up and never heard back from her. Sent multiple reminders but no response. So,as others said its better to stay away if you value your time and look for other companies. This one just wasted my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got Linkedin inmail from recruiter . gave hackeRank test, passed it, Then arranged phone screen , was easy as far as I feel . But since then no answers, I tried emailing to recruiters , calling them, left voice mails, no replies. Have no decency or manners reply back , give update. Total waste of time interviewing with them. Very bad recruiting experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Some hackerank coding question, producer consumer problem on phone, some basic java synchronization questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

telephonic interview was called for 45 minutes. I really suck in programming. Question was simple
    but could not complete in time although I completed the brute force method but interviewer was asking for an improved solution and I could not provide that. I really need to catch up on my programming for these type of interviews.

Interview Questions

• find the sum of 3 integers in an array that is closest to the target value.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and the recruiter followed up with an email saying that the team is interested in interviewing me and the recruiter setup a phone screen with hiring manager followed by an onsite interview with 5 members close to an hour with each member of the interview panel with a lunch break

Interview Questions

• Evaluate a mathematical expression
      Count employees reporting to a manager   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Standard screening and onsite interviews. Recruiting team was very helpful during the process.
    Onsite interviewers were knowledge and the interviews were pleasant. The interviews also gave me a good idea about the role.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met 2 managers and 2 engineers from 2 different teams. 1 engineer was friendly and gave hints for the coding quiz. Another engineer was busy working on his laptop when I was doing the white board coding. I felt it was a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• There is a sorted list of integers. Write a function to compute square of each element and generate a new sorted list.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware in February 2016.

Interview

Contacted recruiter by email. Recruiter shared a list of open positions and asked about interest levels. My resume was matched with a hiring manager and the recruiter set up a phone interview with the manager. A week after the phone interview, recruiter emailed saying they are not continuing with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• A little bit about projects and previous experience. One coding question - Identify if a given string is only made up of words from a given array of words.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Got a message through LinkedIn from the recruited. Two Phone screens were scheduled, after which I moved on to a whole day of on-site interview. Within 24 hours got a job offer. The onsite interview started at 10:30 am and lasted till 4 pm. I met 6 people on the day, and was followed up with two more interviews with members of the team from India between 8:30 pm and 10:30 pm

Interview Questions

• Write a function to generate the sequence of packages to be built on the basis of its dependencies.   Answer Question