VMware Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got Linkedin inmail from recruiter . gave hackeRank test, passed it, Then arranged phone screen , was easy as far as I feel . But since then no answers, I tried emailing to recruiters , calling them, left voice mails, no replies. Have no decency or manners reply back , give update. Total waste of time interviewing with them. Very bad recruiting experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Some hackerank coding question, producer consumer problem on phone, some basic java synchronization questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

telephonic interview was called for 45 minutes. I really suck in programming. Question was simple
    but could not complete in time although I completed the brute force method but interviewer was asking for an improved solution and I could not provide that. I really need to catch up on my programming for these type of interviews.

Interview Questions

• find the sum of 3 integers in an array that is closest to the target value.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and the recruiter followed up with an email saying that the team is interested in interviewing me and the recruiter setup a phone screen with hiring manager followed by an onsite interview with 5 members close to an hour with each member of the interview panel with a lunch break

Interview Questions

• Evaluate a mathematical expression
      Count employees reporting to a manager
      1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff, Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Standard screening and onsite interviews. Recruiting team was very helpful during the process.
    Onsite interviewers were knowledge and the interviews were pleasant. The interviews also gave me a good idea about the role.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met 2 managers and 2 engineers from 2 different teams. 1 engineer was friendly and gave hints for the coding quiz. Another engineer was busy working on his laptop when I was doing the white board coding. I felt it was a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• There is a sorted list of integers. Write a function to compute square of each element and generate a new sorted list.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware in February 2016.

Interview

Contacted recruiter by email. Recruiter shared a list of open positions and asked about interest levels. My resume was matched with a hiring manager and the recruiter set up a phone interview with the manager. A week after the phone interview, recruiter emailed saying they are not continuing with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• A little bit about projects and previous experience. One coding question - Identify if a given string is only made up of words from a given array of words.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Got a message through LinkedIn from the recruited. Two Phone screens were scheduled, after which I moved on to a whole day of on-site interview. Within 24 hours got a job offer. The onsite interview started at 10:30 am and lasted till 4 pm. I met 6 people on the day, and was followed up with two more interviews with members of the team from India between 8:30 pm and 10:30 pm

Interview Questions

• Write a function to generate the sequence of packages to be built on the basis of its dependencies.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware in October 2015.

Interview

Got an email from Recruiter early October approximately. I wasn't really ready for interviews, but he pushed me since they had some hiring event in next couple of weeks. So, I decided to give it a try and took the online test. 2 coding questions in 60 minutes on hackerrank. Went alright.

So, I got another email from recruiter for a phone interview. I guess they added a phone interview probably because the interview team was going to fly from CA to WA, may be they wanted to really ensure that the candidates were qualified. The interviewer was nice. Asked me two coding questions, I solved both in 50 minutes max. I don't have C listed on my resume, but the interviewer requested me to try C and not code in the language of my choice. I tried and was successful, primarily because I am a comfortable with C++ (thank God). From my conversation with the interviewer, interview was all good and he was happy. All the 4 questions (online and phone interview) were really easy. He explicitly told me to follow up with recruiter if I don't hear back.

I got an email from recruiter that they will not move forward. Pretty sad.
    1. Recruiter pushed me for a online test without prep. I agreed and test was good.
    2. Recruiter pushed me again for a phone interview. I managed my time and took phone interview immediately. Did well there too (at least that's what I think based on my experience with past interviews and interviewer's reaction)
    3. Interviewer forced me to code in a language I haven't listed in my resume. I still cracked it.

And I get a rejection? The only reason I can think of is the requirement of C because the position required kernel level programming (C language). Why call me for interview if they have language restrictions and they don't see that skill set on my resume?

Didn't expect that from VMWare. I guess, this company is out of my list for future. Good luck VMWare.

Interview Questions

• Online screening:
      1. Delete function in BST
      2. Some question related to x86-64 bit architecture and the answer was to do with bit manipulation (i will update it if i can recall the exact question, the question itself was like 5-6 lines long).

Phone Interview:
      1. Given a sorted link list, remove duplicates (C language)
      2. Reverse a string (C language)
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bellevue, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

Quick, smooth and efficient. Initial screening via hackerrank.com. In-person interview questions were mostly about past experience and understanding of CPU architecture and memory virtualization. Good recruiting team with pretty fast response time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Worst experience with the VSAN team. The recruitment process was not professional. They had one Hackerrank + 2 Phone screen share + 5 Onsite Interviewers. No clear process in their hiring with 5 recruiters !

You are not Facebook or Google. Good luck.
    This was the worst experience ever. The HR is very unprofessional and lacks ethics. I rejected the offer, the salary sucked.