VMware Technical Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Technical Interview Questions

Updated Jan 22, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Interview process was quite smooth and they were happy to schedule the interview as per my availability.
    received the call from hiring manager itself (even before hr) and got the first round scheduled.
    In total 5 interviews talking about technical concepts to design questions and even some hands on little bit. overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• can't write the full question, being too long, but it all boils down to finding path in a tree and using it in another tree.
      merging, sorting etc,
      some practical js/css questions,
      some java inheritance overloading/overriding questions,
      most of the questions were js fundamentals..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (New York, NY).

Interview

3 rounds of on-site interviews, they focus on algorithms very much, and also the concept to design software. There is a very important interview with a global architect, he has a simple question about software design first, based on your answers, he dive deep with you

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

telephonic interview was called for 45 minutes. I really suck in programming. Question was simple
    but could not complete in time although I completed the brute force method but interviewer was asking for an improved solution and I could not provide that. I really need to catch up on my programming for these type of interviews.

Interview Questions

• find the sum of 3 integers in an array that is closest to the target value.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I was referred for the position by a friend. The phone screen went well and the hiring manager invited me to visit them onsite. The recruitment team worked with me to confirm a date and made arrangements for my stay and travel.

Had 6 45 minute technical interviews which included white boarding algorithm and coding questions. Lunch interview was with the hiring manager, and I talked to the group's director later in the day. Interviews with the hiring manager and the director were mostly behavioral and were focused on getting to know me. All the interviewers were professional and friendly.

The recruiter contacted me within a couple of days to let me know that the feedback had been positive. The recruiter later confirmed that the team was intending to make me an offer which I accepted. They worked with me on the joining date and other logistics from there on.

Interview Questions

• Know your coding and algorithms very well. Questions are fairly language independent. Technical questions are challenging but can be solved in the 45 minute slots. The interviewers are friendly and will help you if you are stuck somewhere. Be honest when you answer behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got a good offer right off the bat. Didn't negotiate much.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Phone screen followed by onsite and presentation. Asked to come in for another round afterwards and/or to work on a "open source" project. At this point, I had already spent two days on the interview process between preparing the presentation, the on site and phone screen so I cut my losses and declined to move forward. The whole process felt disrespectful of my time and arrogant.

Data Center Operations Technical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Wenatchee, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (East Wenatchee, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Two months after applying for a position, I got a response for the job. This was after the start of a new fiscal year/quarter. First I talked to a recruiter who setup a time to answer some questions about my background. Then I waited for a response from the Hiring managers. Then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. then I had to ping the HR person several times (once a week) until I was finally told they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Describe your background and how it relates to what we are looking for.   Answer Question
    • You get a request for 100 new servers to be provisioned storage. What/how would you do it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was supposed to be interviewed for "Python Developer - NSX Management Plane - Staff Engineer". To start with, the recruiter sent me a link to HackerRank online coding challenge. After preparing for the challenge, when I opened the link, I found that there was no option to select "Python" as my language of choice (even though the position was that of a Python developer).

So I sent out an email to the recruiter asking for a new link where I can select Python. However, it seems that the recruiter blatantly ignored my emails. I tried reaching out to him on LinkedIn and also through HackerRank (where I had to create a support ticket for the issue) but I got no response at all.

It is extremely disappointing that a reputed company like VMware can be so ruthless to experienced candidates who really want to go through the interview process but are being treated as if the company does not care about them. I understand that they might have already found another candidate. But is it so hard for their recruiter to communicate what exactly was the situation?

Member of Technical Staff Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

July 1st week - Staffing coordinator contacted on phone about position in Cambridge, MA
    2nd week - Hacker rank coding challenge with 5 UI and 1 algorithm question
    4th - onsite interview. 3 technical rounds, 1 round of their product presentation, lunch with hiring manager.

Staffing coordinator was very prompt with her response and the team was very friendly!

Interview Questions

• Javascript, angularJS questions,
      Standard DS and algos questions and
      Questions about past experience on resume.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was above average. I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The recruiter sent a link for the Hacker Rank challenge with two coding and few multiple choice questions. After reviewing the results I was called to an onsite interview. There were four 45 minutes interview: 3 coding and 1 design round. There were some question related to networking and OS fundamentals.

Interview Questions

• Q: Design an elevator system.
      Q: Given an array of positive integers, determine if there are consecutive numbers in the array that can be summed up to a target value.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Most frustrating interview experience!! Recruiter reached me on LinkedIn. Finished a 45-minute technical challenge in 25 mins and all pass. Scheduled an on-site 3 weeks later. Four rounds of
    technical interviews, mostly focused on algorithms, data structures, and distributed systems. In the end, the recruiter came to tell me that "all feedback are very positive", "we will get back to you soon".
    Within the first two weeks, my first two follow-up inquiries still got warm reply, "Hi, please be patient,
     some one will reach out to you soon ... ". Since then, it's all silence and no reples whatsoever as if the entire company had disappeared from the earth!!

I understand that in this world, everyone has a right of choice. It is OK to reject me, but please do not keep giving me false hopes, and if I had taken the time and energy to come for an onsite interview, and did it well, please give me a reason why you turned away! Leaving me completely in the dark just appears to be so rude and arrogant!