VMware Technical Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

3.3

256 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in May 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. The initial HR round was pretty good. Got selected for the first Phone Technical round. I felt the interview was okay. I was asked to code in my preferred language and was also asked about my projects on resume. It was about 45 mins call but got extended for another 15mins. I had a great time learning about the project that they were working on.

Interview Questions

• BST insertion, deletion and find a node. Complexity(worst and best case analysis) in finding a node.   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff - NSX Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware in April 2017.

Interview

HR contacted me for NSX networking team. Then had setup an 45 minutes coding interview with an engineer. A google doc was shared and was asked to code in it.

Interview Questions

• Given a “2 x n” board and tiles of size “2 x 1”, count the number of ways to tile the given board using the 2 x 1 tiles. A tile can either be placed horizontally i.e., as a 1 x 2 tile or vertically i.e., as 2 x 1 tile.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got Linkedin inmail from recruiter . gave hackeRank test, passed it, Then arranged phone screen , was easy as far as I feel . But since then no answers, I tried emailing to recruiters , calling them, left voice mails, no replies. Have no decency or manners reply back , give update. Total waste of time interviewing with them. Very bad recruiting experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Some hackerank coding question, producer consumer problem on phone, some basic java synchronization questions   Answer Question

Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware in March 2017.

Interview

I was approached by the recruiter who was prompt in scheduling the interviews. First round was a typical hacker rank coding challenge consisting of two basic algorithm problems and a few java related questions. Second phone screen with the interviewer was a horrible experience. Was asked a not too bad string related question. When I started stating my approach and the interviewer did not seem to care. Interviewer seemed impatient and kept cutting me off when I was working on the solution. He did not seem to know about time complexity of the question and when I corrected him, he ended up swearing during the interview. Very unprofessional experience and at this point I had enough and did not want to go any further. I am pretty sure that I do not want to work in my interviewer's team after his unprofessional behavior.

Interview Questions

• check if a common substring of length k exists in a string of strings, an easy stack related question   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Interview process was quite smooth and they were happy to schedule the interview as per my availability.
    received the call from hiring manager itself (even before hr) and got the first round scheduled.
    In total 5 interviews talking about technical concepts to design questions and even some hands on little bit. overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• can't write the full question, being too long, but it all boils down to finding path in a tree and using it in another tree.
      merging, sorting etc,
      some practical js/css questions,
      some java inheritance overloading/overriding questions,
      most of the questions were js fundamentals..   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (New York, NY).

Interview

3 rounds of on-site interviews, they focus on algorithms very much, and also the concept to design software. There is a very important interview with a global architect, he has a simple question about software design first, based on your answers, he dive deep with you

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

telephonic interview was called for 45 minutes. I really suck in programming. Question was simple
    but could not complete in time although I completed the brute force method but interviewer was asking for an improved solution and I could not provide that. I really need to catch up on my programming for these type of interviews.

Interview Questions

• find the sum of 3 integers in an array that is closest to the target value.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

Interview

I was referred for the position by a friend. The phone screen went well and the hiring manager invited me to visit them onsite. The recruitment team worked with me to confirm a date and made arrangements for my stay and travel.

Had 6 45 minute technical interviews which included white boarding algorithm and coding questions. Lunch interview was with the hiring manager, and I talked to the group's director later in the day. Interviews with the hiring manager and the director were mostly behavioral and were focused on getting to know me. All the interviewers were professional and friendly.

The recruiter contacted me within a couple of days to let me know that the feedback had been positive. The recruiter later confirmed that the team was intending to make me an offer which I accepted. They worked with me on the joining date and other logistics from there on.

Interview Questions

• Know your coding and algorithms very well. Questions are fairly language independent. Technical questions are challenging but can be solved in the 45 minute slots. The interviewers are friendly and will help you if you are stuck somewhere. Be honest when you answer behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got a good offer right off the bat. Didn't negotiate much.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Phone screen followed by onsite and presentation. Asked to come in for another round afterwards and/or to work on a "open source" project. At this point, I had already spent two days on the interview process between preparing the presentation, the on site and phone screen so I cut my losses and declined to move forward. The whole process felt disrespectful of my time and arrogant.

Data Center Operations Technical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Wenatchee, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (East Wenatchee, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Two months after applying for a position, I got a response for the job. This was after the start of a new fiscal year/quarter. First I talked to a recruiter who setup a time to answer some questions about my background. Then I waited for a response from the Hiring managers. Then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. then I had to ping the HR person several times (once a week) until I was finally told they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Describe your background and how it relates to what we are looking for.   Answer Question
    • You get a request for 100 new servers to be provisioned storage. What/how would you do it?   1 Answer