VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Reston, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

HR call, Skype Interview, Phone interview. That's it.

Not too many technical questions. The company wants to hire qualified as well as great people.

Just be yourself and make an impression. Of course it is vital to answer questions eloquently and demonstrate your competence as a candidate. That is a given, but beyond that you need to be remembered to be considered for any position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the realm of your responsibilities.   1 Answer
    • Complete this sentence with one word. As a consultant, my job is to ______   2 Answers
    • Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Two phone screens with HR and a technical staff. What the HR mentioned that could happen next did not happen at all. Very bad experiences. Would not recommend to you guys at alll.

Associate -- Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Singapore (Singapore)) in January 2017.

Interview

3 rounds in total. 1st round phone interview with HR, 2nd round skype interview with hiring manager. The final round, a panel interview with director, HR and hiring managers.

NSBU NSX Data Plane Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at VMware (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me with a set of questionnaires to be filled by me. He then contacted me for scheduling an interview. We scheduled the interview in next week. It was a coding interview on white board using python. It was 45 mins interview and before asking anything, he asked me to write code in python.

Interview Questions

• Reverse Linked list in Python   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was an individual with the hiring manager and then a panel with 5 employees then with HR. I had already spoken to the hiring manager over the phone so meeting in person was more of a meet and greet. A little bit nervous for a meet and greet but the hiring manager was very affirming that my experience met their requirements quite well. We sat for about 15 minutes and the Hiring manager spoke more in-depth about the team/about VMWare in terms of culture fit. After exchanging pleasantries, he invited the rest of the team to meet. It was a panel which made the interview a bit more nerve racking. Each person asked a question and it seemed over 15 questions, some of the questions were similar...as if the interviewers were more involved in the questions they were going to as rather than listen to other interviewers and ask different questions. The panel lasted for 60 minutes. The clue that everything went well was that HR came in and had a chat. They asked the straight forward question of when can you start. If you get one of those type questions, you can now relax, dry off the sweat and take a sip of water.

Interview Questions

• Started with technical questions with a very thorough drill down of my resume and how it is very similar to the achievements the team is trying to complete.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Straight forward because my rate was submitted by the agency.

Marketing Manager MDF Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a VMware recruiter via LinkedIn; and then spoke 10 minutes on the phone with the hiring manager and then asked to come in for a series of 6 interviews.

Tell me what you think the job description is. This is where it got very strange. I had the first person (not the hiring manager) constantly ask me this; I described what was in the job description; but she kept on with the question and stating it was a lot of reporting (which was not a large part of the description). The second person who was formerly in the postion asked the same thing almost in a accusatory way; l felt like I was there under false pretenses.

One of the last two people explained why the first two were so hostile. They asked me the same thing and explained the first two were so hung up on reporting because it hadn't been done properly and they were being dinged for it. One actually said she didn't know why it was a big deal since her department did the bulk of the reporting. I thanked them both because I was begining to think I had the wrong job description.

Either way I never followed up as there was no way I would work for a department who had employees who talked to someone who VMware recruited in that manner. The rudeness was something I had never encountered in an interview before.

I guess it is typical with VMware, no one contacted me one way or the other. Because I would have loved to explain, either change the job description or interviewers.

Procurement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in November 2014.

Interview

It was really tough , but really good.
    A screening interview was conducted includes the qualifications needed to do the job for which the company is hiring.
    It was really tough , but really good.

Interview Questions

• Process , Personal, General   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Singapore (Singapore)) in February 2016.

Interview

The HR approached me after viewed my profile online and keen to arrange face to face interview. VERY disappointed about the interview process. Suppose meet up both Staffing and HR director on the date of interview however after a short chat with Staffing then she told me the HR director is too busy to meet up and sent me off. Such a reputable company arranged this kind of interview process is totally ignore the effort of the interviewee make and is almost no respect to the candidate at all. This is very inappropriate. I urge the VMWare management to review the HR interview process and make an effort to ensure each of the candidate has the fair chance to meet up the relevant parties during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions to ask me (this is one and only question the Staffing asked). She never bother to chat with me about my job or shared more details about the co etc   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

The whole end to end interview process consisted of three telephone interviews, two of which were with VMware recruitment, going over general background, technical expertise etc. and then a third directly with the hiring manager who went over the role, quizzed me on my knowledge of the company and how I would benefit VMware and how my skills would make me good at the role etc. The telephone interviews with the recruitment team were around thirty minutes each and the telephone interview with the hiring manager was 90 minutes. Following those I was then invited to a formal face to face interview which was completed in two stages; a 1:1 and then a panel, including the hiring manager. The total face to face interview time was just over two hours, with each stage taking around 50% of the time. This covered past expereinces in more detail, low level details around what my speciifc involvement was and what my responsibilities had been, as well as descriing problems experienced and how I had successfully resolved them. Thorough is the word I would use!

Interview Questions

• The good old "Could you provide a negative attribute about yourself and how this has impacted you during your working life".   Answer Question

Enterprise Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Phone Screen on Skype , Through background check of my experience Phone Screen on Skype , Through background check of my expereincePhone Screen on Skype , Through background check of my expereince

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

A former colleague of mine was already working at VMware and he and I connected ahead of time over lunch at VMware along with a project manager he worked alongside with. This was where I was able to ask questions ranging from bad to good, and soft-ball to aggressive without worrying about my interview performance. We all decided we were excited about the prospect and wanted to move forward.

I came in during an interview event but was interviewed separately. I met my potential manager, potential tech lead, and several really great engineers. I was asked technical questions about algorithms, file system design, and a coding question where the focus was on not having bugs on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a transactional file system?   1 Answer