VMware Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2017

3.2

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter, and talked for about one hour. The recruiter then arranged a technical phone screen with the hiring manager. The technical screening consists of some c++/ood questions and some coding questions. We use the online shared session for the coding. Couple daysa after the screening I was informed that offer has went out to other candidates

Interview Questions

• I was asked some technical questions on the first phone call by the recruiter, which I didn't expect.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I had a very bad experience with VMWare recruiters, twice...and both the times it was the same unpleasant experience. They contacted me to interview for a position and I gave them few slots for tech screens. Then they told me that they are not hiring any more and the email was full of spelling errors. The whole experience seemed very unprofessional.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware in October 2015.

Interview

Got an email from Recruiter early October approximately. I wasn't really ready for interviews, but he pushed me since they had some hiring event in next couple of weeks. So, I decided to give it a try and took the online test. 2 coding questions in 60 minutes on hackerrank. Went alright.

So, I got another email from recruiter for a phone interview. I guess they added a phone interview probably because the interview team was going to fly from CA to WA, may be they wanted to really ensure that the candidates were qualified. The interviewer was nice. Asked me two coding questions, I solved both in 50 minutes max. I don't have C listed on my resume, but the interviewer requested me to try C and not code in the language of my choice. I tried and was successful, primarily because I am a comfortable with C++ (thank God). From my conversation with the interviewer, interview was all good and he was happy. All the 4 questions (online and phone interview) were really easy. He explicitly told me to follow up with recruiter if I don't hear back.

I got an email from recruiter that they will not move forward. Pretty sad.
    1. Recruiter pushed me for a online test without prep. I agreed and test was good.
    2. Recruiter pushed me again for a phone interview. I managed my time and took phone interview immediately. Did well there too (at least that's what I think based on my experience with past interviews and interviewer's reaction)
    3. Interviewer forced me to code in a language I haven't listed in my resume. I still cracked it.

And I get a rejection? The only reason I can think of is the requirement of C because the position required kernel level programming (C language). Why call me for interview if they have language restrictions and they don't see that skill set on my resume?

Didn't expect that from VMWare. I guess, this company is out of my list for future. Good luck VMWare.

Interview Questions

• Online screening:
      1. Delete function in BST
      2. Some question related to x86-64 bit architecture and the answer was to do with bit manipulation (i will update it if i can recall the exact question, the question itself was like 5-6 lines long).

Phone Interview:
      1. Given a sorted link list, remove duplicates (C language)
      2. Reverse a string (C language)
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

telephonic interview was called for 45 minutes. I really suck in programming. Question was simple
    but could not complete in time although I completed the brute force method but interviewer was asking for an improved solution and I could not provide that. I really need to catch up on my programming for these type of interviews.

Interview Questions

• find the sum of 3 integers in an array that is closest to the target value.   1 Answer

Interview

Was contacted by VMware recruiter regarding a hiring event. First step was a phone conversation with a recruiter then a online test. The test was a programming assignment done online within a time limit of 90 mins. The code takes input and your code outputs data. It was challenging but I passed it. Then onsite where I had 4, 1hr interviews. Typical programming questions. All interviewers were very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

it was just a basic questions ..to test basic skills...keep solving basic programming questions and some of the operating system concepts ..which are commonly asked ..since it is based on virtualization ...be focused on virtualization...there were two technical rounds

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at VMware (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview lasted around 40 minutes. all questions were about behavioral questions. The recruiter is very friendly. The recruiter also asked if I had any questions about the company and the position.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Worst experience with the VSAN team. The recruitment process was not professional. They had one Hackerrank + 2 Phone screen share + 5 Onsite Interviewers. No clear process in their hiring with 5 recruiters !

You are not Facebook or Google. Good luck.
    This was the worst experience ever. The HR is very unprofessional and lacks ethics. I rejected the offer, the salary sucked.

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in June 2014.

Interview

First, you will be asked to complete an online test. The puzzles come from hacker rank, but it's not very difficult. If you have solid CS fundamental probably you are fine. There is 3 questions, 2 of them is about algorithm, and the last one just asked what's your favorite programing language.

Then there is a phone interview from their engineer. Typically you will be asked 3 questions about data structure and algorithm. The question is not easy if you haven't practice. It's suggested you practice with leetcode.

Afterwards it's on site interview. 4 round, you have to answer algorithm each round, so it's very exhausted day. The final round is manager interview, you need to chat with him in english.

Interview Questions

• reverse of string. i.e. "hello world" -> "world hello"   1 Answer

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bellevue, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

Quick, smooth and efficient. Initial screening via hackerrank.com. In-person interview questions were mostly about past experience and understanding of CPU architecture and memory virtualization. Good recruiting team with pretty fast response time.