VMware Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Standard Interview Process, Recruiter got in touch with me. Gave a HackerRank Test and after that setup an onsite, consisting of 5 onsite rounds. The team was excellent. And the interview was focused on candidate's potential and problem solving skills. But good things end here. As others mentioned about the company, the HR treatment is horrible.

I got an email from the Recruiter mentioning that team liked me and want to move forward and she would like to talk to me to discuss next steps. But no meeting setup till next one week. After that, I asked if she want to talk and she called me after that. Explained that roles are been put on hold. So far so good. After that no updates for 2 months, Sent multiple emails, but no response. Tried to call her, but the recruiter won't pick up and never heard back from her. Sent multiple reminders but no response. So,as others said its better to stay away if you value your time and look for other companies. This one just wasted my time.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2016.

Interview

First, there was an online coding assignment consisting of 2-3 coding problems probing on algorithms and data/structures. For 3 weeks there was no response. Then out of the blue I got a call from the recruiter and said that they are willing to proceed with me. In 2 days my onsite interviews were scheduled. I was called for an onsite consisting of 4 rounds on algorithms/coding/design. The questions needed clear concepts and also knowledge of space/time complexity. The final one by the hiring manager which was more on my expectations from the company.

Interview Questions

• -Medium level coding questions on binary trees, graph, etc.
      -High as well as low level design questions on building medium scale systems
      -Behavioral question by manager   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Took about a week to set up a time for a technical phone screen with an Engineer. A coding puzzle using hacker rank.
    There was a second technical phone screen with an architect and discussion and a small puzzle. Invited for an onsite with half day of interview with the team.

Interview Questions

• Given a tree, how would determine if it is a binary search tree ?   1 Answer
    • design a thread pool class, given an initial number - n (say), start n threads and each threads should be able to receive a task and execute it.   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list, group the odd numbered nodes ( not value) and even numbered nodes together.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got Linkedin inmail from recruiter . gave hackeRank test, passed it, Then arranged phone screen , was easy as far as I feel . But since then no answers, I tried emailing to recruiters , calling them, left voice mails, no replies. Have no decency or manners reply back , give update. Total waste of time interviewing with them. Very bad recruiting experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Some hackerank coding question, producer consumer problem on phone, some basic java synchronization questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

telephonic interview was called for 45 minutes. I really suck in programming. Question was simple
    but could not complete in time although I completed the brute force method but interviewer was asking for an improved solution and I could not provide that. I really need to catch up on my programming for these type of interviews.

Interview Questions

• find the sum of 3 integers in an array that is closest to the target value.   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in April 2015.

Interview

Direct call from HR and a three rounds of face to face interview in Bangalore JP Nagar office.
    First round was simple java questions.
    Second round given a laptop I was asked to write a Expiry HashMap, map values should expire based on timeout.
    Third round java questions and couple of questions on recursion.
    Fourth round with Manger.
    In the manager round they said it is going to be for support role and there will not be much coding, but you may suggest some feature and write code if you have time and it helps for business.(??? dude, then why all questions on hashmap and recursion ??? ).

After a week got a call from HR asking are you interested in taking up the opportunity.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and the recruiter followed up with an email saying that the team is interested in interviewing me and the recruiter setup a phone screen with hiring manager followed by an onsite interview with 5 members close to an hour with each member of the interview panel with a lunch break

Interview Questions

• Evaluate a mathematical expression
      Count employees reporting to a manager   1 Answer

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met 2 managers and 2 engineers from 2 different teams. 1 engineer was friendly and gave hints for the coding quiz. Another engineer was busy working on his laptop when I was doing the white board coding. I felt it was a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• There is a sorted list of integers. Write a function to compute square of each element and generate a new sorted list.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware in February 2016.

Interview

Contacted recruiter by email. Recruiter shared a list of open positions and asked about interest levels. My resume was matched with a hiring manager and the recruiter set up a phone interview with the manager. A week after the phone interview, recruiter emailed saying they are not continuing with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• A little bit about projects and previous experience. One coding question - Identify if a given string is only made up of words from a given array of words.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Standard screening and onsite interviews. Recruiting team was very helpful during the process.
    Onsite interviewers were knowledge and the interviews were pleasant. The interviews also gave me a good idea about the role.