VMware Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 1,735 of over 1.7K interviews

Recruiter22%
Employee Referral21%
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saudi Arabia

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Saudi Arabia) in Sep 2020

Interview

Very standard and smooth process. Telephonic round, followed by a technical round with the UK team and another technical round with the local team, next call with the local sales team and presentation.

Interview Questions
  • Ethical hacking and Linux based
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in Sep 2020

Interview

Unusually long and slow for a Bay Area company. ~10 weeks: 4 rounds: > 30 min HR screen, > 1 hour resume/behavioral w/ senior IC > 6-hour cross functional panel interview & portfolio prez, > 1 hour w/ junior IC) Poor communication throughout regarding next steps, response time— even the job description turned out to have been written in a way that misrepresented the job. Not unusual for descriptions to be a bit off/vague, but the fact the hiring manager did not participate in any of the 4 rounds probably didn’t help. Every IC seemed to have a different idea and HR had zero insight. And after all that the recruiter ghosted me! Really seemed like team did not know what or who they were looking for and all had different opinions. Entire team seemed somewhat hostile and low energy on interview calls. Very disappointing overall.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in United States

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at VMware (United States) in Sep 2020

Interview

1st round: OA (4 coding questions, medium to hard) 2nd round: onsite (4 tech interviews, computer basics & coding questions) The interview process was transparent and fast. Received an offer one week after onsite.

Interview Questions
  • Multithreading programming, algorithms, system design

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (United States) in Sep 2020

Interview

Most of the interviewers that I got were disinterested, unwilling to have a conversation, and unwilling to help. Asked very weird questions regarding my resume -- think trivia-type questions rather than assessing my actual skills. Frustrating interviewing experience to say the least.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at VMware (United States)

Interview

They run a solid interview process. Expect to have multiple interviews and calls with different people in the company to pursue a position here. They seem to be a friendly and professionally run company.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (United States)

Interview

It took a very long time to get to the face to face. I sat with 3 managers and each had different objectives. 1) Assessments 2) Get to Know You 3) Troubleshooting Problems

Interview Questions
  • They wanted to know if you understood SQL queries and if you could lay out a simple one.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA)

Interview

After the recruiter contacted me, they scheduled the first round interview right away. There were two rounds in my interview process, one with the manager, and one with the senior product designer on the team.

Interview Questions
  • The interview was based on the contents I had prepared, a 15-20min case study presentation of my works.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (United States)

Interview

I interviewed with one team in July. The interviews were scheduled on short notice. A week later, the recruiter informed me that the team really liked me and wanted to hire me. But they found a better candidate so I get the "metaphorical" silver medal. He iterated it's not a reject. Since I had a positive feedback from the first team, the recruiter offered to find another team for me. He did find one and asked me to apply for it when the team publishes the opening for the MTS3 roles. Over a month but the team still couldn't publish the opening. Anyway, I somehow interviewed with this new team after applying to a link provided for a lot senior role. The round with the Director was frustrating. He wanted to hear only what suited him. There was a disconnect between what the recuiter told me and what the Director wanted. The recruiter told me it will be an MTS 3 role (same as last team) but the Director pointed out MTS3 is too senior a role for me. After that, he kept on asking how soon I can join? I told him that I would need to serve the 2 weeks notice period at my current employer. Plus the time it takes to transfer my work visa. Few minutes later, he complained that I didn't answer him that how soon I can join him. Bit irritated, I told him attorneys handle the transfer, not me. I doubt he was able to register it. Another red flag- they haven't bothered to see my application where my visa status is clearly mentioned. He kept on complaining that I am leaving my current company in one year and he would prefer someone who would stay for a long time. I pointed him out that I worked for 3 years at my first job and left only when going for my MS. This made me clear that he didn't even listen to my answer when he asked why I am leaving my current job in little over a year. It was frustrating to see him squirming to join asap when he couldn't even publish the job on the portal in over a month. I had another round with them and satisfactorily solved the question. The next day recruiter told me that the Director didn't find me to be a fit at this time (Sure, I was not). He assured that he will keep pn looking for more roles for me. At this point, I told him I am not interested in VMware anymore. The way recruitment is done at this company is horrible. Both times, they failed to schedule the interviews on time. If I would provide Thursday and Friday as available days on Monday, they would not get anything done until Thursday. Then they would force me to go through 2-3 rounds with less than a 24 hours notice. Horrible, horrible recruitment.

Interview Questions
  • The second team that stressed upon being a "Java" team asked to solve a simple question in C/C++. Was asked a OOD design which was poorly explained.
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in United States

Application

I interviewed at VMware (United States)

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me about 1 month after I applied online. There were 2 video interviews with a phone screen with the recruiter. The recruiter was very transparent about what they were looking for in the intern. It was a very clear and organized process.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about yourself. Tell me about a time you took initiative.
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in India

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 months. I interviewed at VMware (India)

Interview

Recruiter called 4 weeks after a referral. There was no job description given and the recruiter also did not take any efforts to explain. First phone interview with the hiring manager abroad. Two more video interviews with other product managers, both not from a software background but from operational roles. Two in person interviews with very senior engineering leads. Than a big silence for more than a month while they waited for some other candidate to join. Only then they conveyed that I did not get the job. The candidate who joined does not have any domain experience and was lesser experienced in product management. Looks like they preferred a younger candidate asking lower salary. If these were the deciding criteria then why did they bother to spend so much time on me?

Interview Questions
  • Trade craft: prioritization, engineering interface, challenges tackled. Domain: networking and security.
Viewing 121 - 130 of 1,735 Interviews