VMware Interview Questions

Updated Mar 5, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 1,737 of over 1.7K interviews

Recruiter22%
Employee Referral21%
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (United States)

Interview

I interviewed with one team in July. The interviews were scheduled on short notice. A week later, the recruiter informed me that the team really liked me and wanted to hire me. But they found a better candidate so I get the "metaphorical" silver medal. He iterated it's not a reject. Since I had a positive feedback from the first team, the recruiter offered to find another team for me. He did find one and asked me to apply for it when the team publishes the opening for the MTS3 roles. Over a month but the team still couldn't publish the opening. Anyway, I somehow interviewed with this new team after applying to a link provided for a lot senior role. The round with the Director was frustrating. He wanted to hear only what suited him. There was a disconnect between what the recuiter told me and what the Director wanted. The recruiter told me it will be an MTS 3 role (same as last team) but the Director pointed out MTS3 is too senior a role for me. After that, he kept on asking how soon I can join? I told him that I would need to serve the 2 weeks notice period at my current employer. Plus the time it takes to transfer my work visa. Few minutes later, he complained that I didn't answer him that how soon I can join him. Bit irritated, I told him attorneys handle the transfer, not me. I doubt he was able to register it. Another red flag- they haven't bothered to see my application where my visa status is clearly mentioned. He kept on complaining that I am leaving my current company in one year and he would prefer someone who would stay for a long time. I pointed him out that I worked for 3 years at my first job and left only when going for my MS. This made me clear that he didn't even listen to my answer when he asked why I am leaving my current job in little over a year. It was frustrating to see him squirming to join asap when he couldn't even publish the job on the portal in over a month. I had another round with them and satisfactorily solved the question. The next day recruiter told me that the Director didn't find me to be a fit at this time (Sure, I was not). He assured that he will keep pn looking for more roles for me. At this point, I told him I am not interested in VMware anymore. The way recruitment is done at this company is horrible. Both times, they failed to schedule the interviews on time. If I would provide Thursday and Friday as available days on Monday, they would not get anything done until Thursday. Then they would force me to go through 2-3 rounds with less than a 24 hours notice. Horrible, horrible recruitment.

Interview Questions
  • The second team that stressed upon being a "Java" team asked to solve a simple question in C/C++. Was asked a OOD design which was poorly explained.
    Answer Question
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in India

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 months. I interviewed at VMware (India)

Interview

Recruiter called 4 weeks after a referral. There was no job description given and the recruiter also did not take any efforts to explain. First phone interview with the hiring manager abroad. Two more video interviews with other product managers, both not from a software background but from operational roles. Two in person interviews with very senior engineering leads. Than a big silence for more than a month while they waited for some other candidate to join. Only then they conveyed that I did not get the job. The candidate who joined does not have any domain experience and was lesser experienced in product management. Looks like they preferred a younger candidate asking lower salary. If these were the deciding criteria then why did they bother to spend so much time on me?

Interview Questions
  • Trade craft: prioritization, engineering interface, challenges tackled. Domain: networking and security.

Anonymous Employee in India

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VMware (India)

Interview

Amazing HR and very smooth process 3 technical + 1 managerial interviews interviewers were very helpful and encouraging . No nonsense question they check your deep understanding. should be confident about work done in previous organization. DSA + system design+problem solving

Interview Questions
  • Java hashmap basic + problem solving (DSA) system design understanding of work done in previous org + problem solving

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at VMware (United States) in Aug 2020

Interview

Online assessment, it was difficult unless your saw the question before. Lots of guys research the previous questions so they can get the answer before the OA even started. It is not fair that the first process is not an efficient way to filter out the candidates.

Interview Questions
  • The hardest one is same as 'slope trick' in codeforce
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I interviewed at VMware (United States)

Interview

The most insulting process ever. Even with an internal referral from a Staff Solutions Engineer I got a random generated note within 8 hours saying sorry. No explanation. No way to get a hold of people. This was for Carbon Black. I have a great resume when it comes to EDR.

4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Bangalore) in Aug 2020

Interview

I was interviewed for SMTS position for VMKernel in the month of August. Due to COVID-19 all the rounds were based off Zoom. The screening round was based on OS concepts. A week later 3 more continuous rounds were scheduled of an hour each. - First round was again based on OS concepts - Second was coding round with simple bit manipulation problems and string manipulation problems - Third was again based on OS concepts Good understanding of OS concepts like virtual memory management using demand paging, process management lifecycle, interrupt handling, synchronisation mechanisms like spinlocks and semaphores, idea of libc malloc implementation, kernel start and boot sequence, file system concepts, device drivers, helps a lot. However, after 4 rounds I had to go through 2 more technical rounds a week later, focussed on discussion about my current project work, kernel boot sequence and locking mechanisms and a couple of simple C coding questions related to bit manipulation. Last round was a general discussion with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
  • o Bit manipulation programs like -finding the number of set bits (Brain Kernighan algo, using a hash table to improve it further albeit using extra space) - toggle bits in a given range in an integer o sizeof and offsetof macros o Question based on external merge sort (sort a big file like 10G in residing on a big disk with constraint that physical memory is only say 1G).
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Ondal

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Ondal) in Aug 2020

Interview

3 rounds one after another online. I got a call Last week they asked about my technology and background they said it matches with their requirement so that scheduled an interview online on zoom. On interview day I had to install the zoom application

Interview Questions
  • Type of nat, use of vlan tagging, types of firewall, routing protocols, scenario based qsns

Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (United States) in Aug 2020

Interview

Spoke with recruiter with phone interview, things went well and I proceeded to have 5 interviews. First I passed interview with the revenue manager and then I had 4 other interviews with team members and managers. Overall good experience just lengthy due to the pandemic issues, seem like a good team to work with

Interview Questions
  • What experience do you have with asc606

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Bangalore) in Aug 2020

Interview

The first round was from a staffing and HR consultancy company where they mentioned that my profile was a very good match for the requirements as per the JD for a BA role in the pricing operations team. Second round was a Skype video call with the 2 team members and a manager from the team. The interview went on for 30 mins. And the interview was based on work experience and the projects I was involved in (with less technical aspects and more of a generalised discussion). Got the feeling that the interview went well from the overall feel of it and back then it felt like a smooth, pleasant discussion. However, was informed later next day from the HR that I haven't been shortlisted for further rounds. (where my technical proficiency could have been tested) This was very hard to believe cause most of the technical skill sets (Excel, SQL, MS Suite, Power BI etc) were a match. Also, since I had worked in pricing analytics and SaaS based product company, the domain too was a strong match. However, still haven't received a feedback on what exactly was the reason for them not going ahead with the next few rounds. This would have helped me analyse what went wrong, or weather there was something lacking from my end for self improvement. VMware was a dream company. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Disappointed with the lack of feedback/justification for rejection of my profile, knowing especially that the candidate had previously worked in reputed e-commerce and SaaS CRM based product companies under analytics domain

Interview Questions
  • Questions were based on projects followed by follow up questions on the same.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Pune) in Aug 2020

Interview

Interview Questions
  • 1. You need to have experience and knowledge of all components on your RPA tool. 1. You need to have experience and knowledge of all components on your RPA tool. 1. You need to have experience and knowledge of all components on your RPA tool.
Viewing 131 - 140 of 1,737 Interviews