VMware Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2017

3.2

Cloud Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Went through a series of interviews at all levels from multiple locations. It started if the HR manager and the transisitoned to engineers for technical talking. Then we started to talk to managers and executives at multiple levels.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions related to management style and architecture knowledge around virtualiztion and cloud technologies   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

In the beginning screening, the process went well and seemed promising. Questions were easy to answer and interviewers were encouraging. You are required to interview with at least five different people prior to an offer. There was poor communications between HR and the interviewers and twice I was stood up. One hour before I was to have a series of three interviews, HR called to tell me that they had decided not to fill the role right now. It was a mess.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

this is the simplest interview I ever been too....but the real problem is not the interview but the HR's.
    I interviewed twice in a month with different teams (NSBU and NSX) in Vmware, dammm simple interviews...but after the interview HR told me that they will revert back to me within a week, one HR even said after the interview that the team really like you and they want you onboard...but after that they never contacted me, I had tried sending them reminder email but no reply....VMware have horrible HR's....I would not recommend this company to anyone.....I don't care how busy there life is but its basic courtesy to reply...I hope vmware teach them basic "Human Resource" management, since they lack it horribly

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The campus interview process was very simple and straightforward. I had three telephonic interviews in three weeks and had my offer in the fourth week. My first interview was with a Marketing Manager, second one with Line Manager and the final round with Marketing Director.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a well marketed product.   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

Submitted an application and resume online. Got called back from a recruiter, asking for a time for Phone screen. When through the phone screen with very few actual technical questions. Went on site for in person interviews. Got a variety what if scenarios and logic puzzles, all with technical overtones. took a week to hear back that I was great but they didnt think that I would be happy in that particular position and recommended me for 3 others. I had accepted another offer at that point so i declined to move forward.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get most of your tech news?   Answer Question
    • A system with parts XYZ isn't work correctly and you have the end user on the phone, not able to conduct sales. How do you fix it?   Answer Question
    • Your sales partner tells a blatant lie to a customer, saying system XYZ can do ABC, when it can't. How do you respond?   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got Linkedin inmail from recruiter . gave hackeRank test, passed it, Then arranged phone screen , was easy as far as I feel . But since then no answers, I tried emailing to recruiters , calling them, left voice mails, no replies. Have no decency or manners reply back , give update. Total waste of time interviewing with them. Very bad recruiting experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Some hackerank coding question, producer consumer problem on phone, some basic java synchronization questions   Answer Question

Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware in March 2017.

Interview

I was approached by the recruiter who was prompt in scheduling the interviews. First round was a typical hacker rank coding challenge consisting of two basic algorithm problems and a few java related questions. Second phone screen with the interviewer was a horrible experience. Was asked a not too bad string related question. When I started stating my approach and the interviewer did not seem to care. Interviewer seemed impatient and kept cutting me off when I was working on the solution. He did not seem to know about time complexity of the question and when I corrected him, he ended up swearing during the interview. Very unprofessional experience and at this point I had enough and did not want to go any further. I am pretty sure that I do not want to work in my interviewer's team after his unprofessional behavior.

Interview Questions

• check if a common substring of length k exists in a string of strings, an easy stack related question   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Contacted on Linkedin by company recruiter
    Phone interview then 5 interviews, some technical some behavioral
    Went on site and met multiple people
    Nice campus and recruiter met me there
    No really challenging questions
    Seemed really easy and not challenging at all. Interviewers did not have a strict script and the technical interviews were straightforward.
    Not as half as hard as a Google Interview

Interview Questions

• Talk me through technical scenario
      How do you handle conflct
      Tell me about a successful/unsuccessful product you have worked with
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Was contacted by the recruiter with a Hackerrank challenge test. Test was bit difficult with 4 coding questions and few multiple choice questions in 1 Hour. Cannot disclose the questions due to an NDA, but all basic Data Structure and Algorithms questions related to Binary Trees, Linked List and Arrays.

After giving Hackerrank test, was contacted by recruiter for 1st round of phone interview. Phone interview was taken by the Hiring Manager itself. 2 Coding questions. Questions related to Binary Trees, Array.

After 1st round of Phone interview, was contacted by the recruiter for 2nd round of interview. As opening was filling up urgently, team requested for an earlier interview. 2nd round was taken by member of team. Questions related to project, questions related to Networking protocols and 1 coding question.

All time during the process, recruiter was very nice and very co-operative. Earlier was rejected for some different profiles but still was open to other profiles. All interviewers were nice and co-operative.

Interview Questions

• Cannot disclose questions due to an NDA   1 Answer

Staff Engineer II - NSX Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

1 hour coding test on Hacker rack followed by an onsite interview. Hackerank involved just 1 question on based on strings. Onsite interview involved 6 interviews including a lunch interview with the hiring manager. The lunch interview was easy going - no coding questions were asked. Of the remaining 5 interviews, 4 of them were with staff engineers/senior MTS and involved a coding problem each which were of moderate difficulty. The 6th interview was based on networking and OS fundamentals. The team was very professional and all interviewers were very nice to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Binary search tree, string, operating systems, networking questions.   Answer Question